Updating firmware on Iris devices before transition

I am a current Iris user switching to Hubitat. I have been experimenting with my devices on my new Hubitat hub.
I have two 3405-L Iris keypads that have different firmware versions installed on them. One keypad with firmware version 140b5310 works great with Hubitat.
The other has firmware version 11005310. This one does not beep correctly during the delayed exit and entry time I specify in Hubitat Safety Monitor. It only beeps 3 times no matter what time delay I specify.
This keypad was my spare that I never had hooked to my Iris hub so I figured it never received firmware updates. I re-paired it to my Iris hub hoping it would update but after 2 days and a hub reboot it has not changed. After contacting Iris they have escalated my call to level 3 support and I was told to expect a call back in 24 hours. With the pending shutdown I don’t have high expectations with their support.

The reason for my post Is that I read some people in this forum have bought Iris hubs just for the reason of updating the firmware on their devices. I was hoping they could offer some advice of how this process happens. Does this happen automatically or can I expect the level 3 tech to help? Is there another way to update the firmware?

Also I wanted to document the 2 different firmware versions for the keypad and the operational differences I encountered for the Hubitat community.

3405-L Iris keypad firmware version 140b5310: works great with Hubitat as of 3-5-19 with hub hardware version Rev C-5 platform version 2.0.6.112.

3405-L Iris keypad firmware version 11005310 beeps only 3 times during entry and exit delay as of 3-5-19 with hub hardware version Rev C-5 platform version 2.0.6.112.

Read down from this post (link). It sounds like they do update by themselves overnight (or are supposed to). Apparently the only other hub that updates only the motion and contact sensors is SmartThings.

Update what you can would seem prudent and then get as much money back from Lowe's as is available to you.

You might be able to update these with a Wink hub. They do their update automatically over night or in a day or so. You can usually find the gen 1 Wink hubs for cheap.

The one you say works great...does it have the illumination problem with hubitat where after arming or disarming the iris and connection lights stay lit until you wave your hand in front of the keypad and trigger motion?

No, I never had the problem with the lights staying on. I think that was fixed with platform version 2.0.6.112. This is the version I started with since my hub was new.

Does the lights stay on with the keypad with old firmware? I'm still having the issue but I'm not sure what firmware my keypad has but with exit delay the lights stay on when beeping until I wave. It happens on disabling too. Everything else functions normally.

I never noticed the light issue with either firmware. I will be testing more tomorrow and will pay more attention.
I found another refrence on an Iris forum about the different versions:

Platform version 2.0.7 will include a new driver for this keypad that will resolve the sound and panel lights remaining on problem.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Keypad not disabling alarm

Anyone know how I can find and possibly update the firmware version of my Iris 3405-L via HE ?
(I do not have an Iris Hub)

1 Like

Level 3 Iris tech support got back to me and informed me that firmware version 11005310 is the most current. This was a surprise to me since this contradicts what I expected and previous posts from other forums.

Great to know that Platform version 2.0.7 will include a new driver for this keypad to help with issues.

I dont know of another way at this time to get firmware updates for the keypad other than an irus hub.

1 Like

I know the platform has been shut down, but can you still use a hub to update firmware? Does the hub require the iris cloud to boot up and "have" the firmware updates? Can I even pair devices to the hub even though the iris cloud is down now?

I think your out of luck on Iris. The servers are down and you won't be able to boot up Iris hub.
You might try posting on this web site
http://forum.livingwithiris.com/forum/62-arcus/
Some are working on bringing Iris back to life (sort of)
I'm sure if there's a better way someone else will update this thread.

The open source code posted by Iris does not include the firmware update files, so even if someone manages to compile the Arcus Platform code, there is no source binaries for the device firmware updates...
So, at this time, and likely forever, you're stuck with the firmware that's on these devices...

Bummer for those that forgot!

I believe Iris v2 Motion and Contact sensors can get updated firmware via SmartThings.

Is there any way to interrogate the 3210-L to get its firmware version without Iris? I added a couple yesterday, which work fantastic by the way for speed of operation and power reporting, but I'm suspicious the z-wave repeater is not working well after reading reports of that issue being fixed with the update to 0x20085010. Im using @srwhite's Iris z-wave repeater driver and it shows 1.2 but im not sure how that translates to the 0x20****** format used for iris firmware versions.

1 Like

The driver is just actually reporting its own version, not the firmware of the plug. I can look at adding the firmware report for the device, but I believe Hubitat is planning to add that functionality in the near future.

That said I wouldn't worry too much about firmware on it. Iris is gone so there won't be any more updates for it. If the device works, use it and don't worry about if it is up to date.

I have 6 of these, four of which use firmware version 0x20085010 (I was able to view their firmware versions from the SmartThings IDE). On Hubitat, with all of them using the 'Generic Z-Wave Repeater' driver, only the versions with this firmware level are showing 'fw: 1.2' and the 'MSR' value in the Data field of their device details. The two older firmware outlets do not display these fields at all.