Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters

Excluding a device it's a "handshake" between the hub and the device. You cannot exclude a device without both agreeing to do it. So this is unlikely indicative of a mesh problem but rather a device problem.

No, doesn't make a difference where you trigger the hub exclusion.

1 Like

Thanks.

I have now physically replaced both of those devices.
Now, I do not have any Iris 3210-L devices in my mesh, and that other device that was inadvertently excluded (Main Hall Lights). (Fortunately, I happen to have lots of spares.)

Since I replaced 2 zwave devices, I'm now doing a zwave repair.
I hope that this will correct any issues I've been having.

5 Likes

FWIW if you suspect those devices you didn't need to do a repair. Simply removing them will confirm or not the problem. Z-Wave will instantly reroute. There's little need to do a repair and wait.

When you do a repair (or Hubitat does the nightly repair) it will optimize your routes to new paths. While good overall, it's not really part of the debugging on whether the removed relay was the problem IMHO. I've been very successful isolating without doing repairs.

...just need to know that when a repair is done later it might change the routes, which may or may not route you via another problematic device. So if it works after your change and then you run a repair and it doesn't work, compare the routing table and you'll find another problematic relay.

(another reason to not run an immediate repair: you'll lose the chance to see how it routes through a path that a repair might not choose)

"Z-Wave Firmware Updater", and "Basic Z-Wave Tool" will both give the current firmware version (with BZWT, click "Get Version Report", and check the logs).

Does anyone know what version works? The one of mine I checked is 1.2.

1 Like

???

What nightly repair? AFAIK, the overnight maintenance/backup process does not include a z-wave repair. Stranded and ghost devices are supposed to be removed, but weren't for my Hubitat.

3 Likes

The only firmware versions that I know of are for the Zigbee side of the outlet...

And another post on the subject...

shrug the code is closed source so I don't know... but I have repeatedly seen path changes between 1:50am and 3am so something is happening. Various release notes suggest the same. You'd likely have to get a real answer from @mike.maxwell

FYI for anyone having issues with the 3210-L's as Z-Wave Repeaters, they seem to be heavily, and I mean HEAVILY reliant on beaming.

I previously had a plug that I was not using for anything but repeating that was close to the hub and this was at a time when my mesh was reliable, but then I found a use for the plug and proceeded to move the it, not far away, but effectively flipped it 180 degrees, so instead of pointing into the room, it was pointed at the wall. So, with my current issues, I rerouted some wires so that I could face the plug into to room again, and voila, device by device they began to magically start responding.

With that in mind, I moved one of my other plugs further into the house and now the plugs that are the furthest are connecting well now.

Long story short, and knock on wood, my mesh seems to be behaving a lot more reliably now. But I had one question, is it common for Z-Wave devices or ZigBee devices to be heavily reliant on beaming?

@ogiewon I think you are correct on the old vs new firmware. I updated all 8 of my 3210-Ls just before they shut Iris down. I don't experience any issues with my z-wave mesh and they are the basis for my mesh. I only have a couple of light switches but have many door window sensors and a lock.

2 Likes

What sort of troubles and how was it diagnosed?

I installed 5 of these after ditching Cree and GE Link bulbs to help stabilize my mesh and also have the z-wave repeaters included and don't believe they are causing any issues.

I'm confused how using the zigbee portion of the plug causes z-wave issues?

1 Like

Only if you also included it as a z-wave device, and later removed it incompletely - leaving a stranded z-wave device.

There is no issue if it was never included as a z-wave device, or if a secondary controller was used to remove the stranded z-wave device.

P.S. @bobbyD is correct - stranded z-wave devices can really mess up a z-wave mesh. I know - I did it accidentally.

1 Like

Not to go against BobbyD, he has a different perspective, and sample size than I do. But I have not seen any issues on my network with these. Maybe some give problems and others don't depending upon the Iris firmware or hardware revision or whatever?

1 Like

I also have 10 of these in my home repeating zigbee and z wave without issues.

I use this driver for the Z wave side to make sure they are communicating.

3 Likes

I'll have to give this a try instead of the watchdog app I'm using.

...or if you successfully included it as a z-wave device?

All mine are functional and AFAIK, not causing any issues. I get that a stranded device could cause issues. Thanks for the clarificaiton.

I have 10 of these Iris devices in use and far as I know all the Iris devices are Zigbee and not Z wave, two different protocalls and radios. Z wave runs on 908.4 MHz and Zigbee is on 915 MHz (US) and are unable to be used as a z wave repeater

I have a few of the Iris 3210-L. If you look at the owner's manual it says that they do have both Zigbee and Z-wave radios. I use mine as Z-wave repeaters.

Here is a link to the owner's manual:

All the way down at the bottom of the manual is where you can see that it has both radios.

1 Like

The problem is some Iris repeaters are really bad at repeating Z-Wave. Since you can no longer update the firmware it's kind of hit or miss as to which ones will work.

@ogiewon mentions some devices might have the latest firmware if they have an extra barcode label..

2 Likes

Are they bad at repeating at all, even if you can get them to pair to Hubitat? Or are they bad because of the hit and miss nature of being able to pair?

For older firmware devices the Z-Wave part is bad at repeating, may join but does not repeat (or do so poorly with errors - mine just never repeated). It always seems a challenge to get the Z-wave side to pair or exclude no matter what the firmware.

The zigbee side is great.