Twilio Registration

Looks like it is "verified" (approved??)

1 Like

Well Congratulations, you got the Golden Ticket! :+1: :grinning: That was fast, did you register on day one, April 17? I registered the day after. Well now we know why they charged you for Campaign Vetting. That's good news. I hope my outcome is the same as yours :crossed_fingers:.

1 Like

Yes - I muddled through the process on April 17th. I wasn't sure if I even completed it correctly, but I guess I must have!

What do single users with no "brand" do for vetting? I read through all the Twilio information and decided it was too much for the current time. I closed my Twilio account and moved to Pushover.

Part of my decision was because I rarely use Twilio. The only automation that triggers as Twilio message is my whole house water valve shutting use to a sensed leak.

1 Like

From my post on April 3, 2023:

1 Like

I have been using Twilio for texting in HE for a while now. But it seems that using Twilio to send text messages is going to get more expensive. The personal brand registration that is required costs $2/month plus the usage costs.

What are people using to send texts from HE???? Mostly Pushover?

I haven't done anything and just waiting to see what happens. Paying same rates that I have for over 6 years. Know that carriers might stop delivering messages at some point but again will wait and see.

My believe is that the Federal Government has pressured Carriers within the US to stop spam texts. This registration is part of that process to reduce spam texts.

I've been using Twilio as a hobbyist since they just two guys with some interesting ideas for voice and text. This is the first time they've made it hard for hobbyists and hackers to use their services. And it's a serious pain in the rear. I guess I need to dedicate a few hours to fill out all of the applications. They don't look straightforward at all.

My Twilio SMS messaging stopped working on July 15. I can login to my account and everything looks fine, except no messages since July 15.
I've been using Pushover before Twilio, and never have a problem there.
I too went through the new account rules and even obtained tax ID number. My exchanges with Twilio people were almost apologetic. The new requirements I gathered were from the ISPs, not within the company. From what read above and what they told me, maybe SMS volumes from Twilio's success are raising issues with the ISPs as a competitor or they want to justify a rate increase on Twlio. I have no idea other than speculation.
I'm going to debug my current SMS failures for a bit longer, contact them, and then just close out Twilio.
Pushover was way faster than Twilio before the latest issues anyway.

It is likely a carrier issue filtering out non-10DLC registered accounts. I personally purchased a toll-free number and released my local number that I have had for 10 or so years and things continue to work. I just need to monitor cost difference to see if it is worth using.

An 800 number is not an alternative I'm wiling to test, now. Interesting alternative.
Cancelled my Twilio billing method with a balance in the $8.00 range.
I'm done with SMS for now, until I discover an alternative to Twilio.
Pushover has been stellar in delivery times and is insanely cheap.
I just wanted an backup plan and Twilio filled the bill. Until now.
Last thing to do is delete my Twilio devices, last time I did this Hubitat insisted references remained and I dared not just delete the devices anyway.

Did you do the registration process with Twilio? I muddled through that some time ago and my SMS is still working.

For what its worth, I have not done the registration and I am still able to send SMS

2 Likes

Thanks for the support. Based on your success, I went back in, re-enabled bill-ing, and completed the missing element in my registration which was creating a campaign. We'll see if my luck improves.

1 Like

However you passed under their radar, more power to you!
I looked at one alternative to Twilio and since none of my emails appear to be business (I am retired) I was required to send them a photo and a photo of a picture ID. Not going to send anyone a photo of my DL or my passport. I may have a 20 year old ID from a university, but no on that too.
I've never had a fault or issue with Pushover, but SMS was a terrific addition while it lasted!

Does your cell phone carrier support an email to SMS gateway?

I’ve been using this approach to get SMS for the last 4 years, and it has worked very well. There are several community email integrations for Hubitat.

Just verified that Google Fi does have the email to SMS gateway!
I'd thought about this once before and went Twilio. Maybe it was integration I avoided then.
I may have also made progress on Twilio. A SMS message went through Aug 1 after adding a campaign to my profile. But, my daily message did not happen Aug 2.
Looking into both the gateway approach and solving Twilio.
Thanks!

For what it's worth. I am a big fan of the reliability of SMS. I had been using Twilio successfully without registering a campaign. Alas within the past week or two messages are no longer being reliably and consistently delivered. In reviewing my Twilio message history. Prior to this past July my text messages were delivered successfully and promptly 99.9% of the time. It appears in July my carrier (Verizon/Visible) began checking number registration as some messages were now failing to be delivered. SMS Text Filtration got to the point this past week that I became very aware of the impending doom. If I understand the Twilio site correctly. As of 08/31/23 Twilio will no longer attempt to deliver text messages from unregistered numbers/campaigns. I consider it rather foolish and shortsighted(?) that a simple review of the message logs would reveal that messages I send have had the same destination for forever and a day and imo do not constitute a "campaign" and/or as SPAM and an accommodation could be made. Oh well, not my company.

Yes. This is my carrier. Emails need to be sent to:

10-digit-number@msg.fi.google.com