Twilio Registration

Been using the Twilio for both Text and Phone calls. Received an email from Twilio something about registering brand??

Does anyone know what this is all about and do I need to do something?

Can you post the body of the email? (obviously remove any private info)

1 Like

Ahoy!

You are receiving this email from Twilio because you send text messages (SMS and/or MMS) to U.S. consumers using 10-digit long code (10DLC) phone numbers.

What do you need to know?

Previously, customers who send fewer than 3,000 message segments per day to U.S. destinations, and use 5 or fewer phone numbers, did not need to register their brands and campaigns. These guidelines are changing.

Effective December 15, 2022, Twilio will require low-volume senders using U.S. 10DLC numbers to register their brand and their use case (“campaign”) for each phone number. Messages sent after December 15, 2022 on unregistered phone numbers will incur additional per-message carrier fees, and may be subject to filtering or blocking.

Why is this happening?

Low-volume message senders are now required to register their brand and campaign for each phone number.

What do you need to do?

You need to register your low-volume brands, campaigns, and phone numbers by December 15, 2022 to avoid fees for messaging using unregistered phone numbers, and to avoid potential filtering or blocking.

For phone numbers used to send fewer than 3,000 message segments per day, follow this guidance:

• If you have a tax ID, register for a Low Volume Standard Brand.
  • If you do not have a tax ID, hold off on registering. Twilio will introduce a new form of Sole Proprietor Brand soon, specifically for U.S. and Canadian entities without tax IDs. Check out New Requirements for A2P 10DLC Registrations blog post for more information on Sole Proprietorship Brands.
  • If you do not have a tax ID, you can also look at verified Toll-Free Messaging.

What if you don’t take action?

Messages from unregistered numbers may be filtered or blocked. You will also be charged fees for any traffic, even low volume traffic, sent with an unregistered 10DLC number starting December 15, 2022.

Sincerely,

Team Twilio

It looks like they're changing fee structures.

When I log into my account I can't find anything about registering.

Just wondered if others who are using this might be seeing the same thing.

I got the same email. To me it looks like they are trying to maybe meet some new rule for messaging? I don't know. But I can't figure out what I need to do either.

Yeah I think it has to do with new rules to try to address SMS spamming. But it seems rather silly for folks who send so few texts. I just switched over all my twilio notifications to pushover and will likely just shut down twilio rather than deal with more paperwork.

If it was just texts I would probably also drop it. But I also use it for phone call notifications for something critical, both for me and a friend who's system I maintain. Sometimes a phone call is more noticable than a text or push notification.

I will just wait to see what happens. I assume I will get notified as time gets closer with maybe more info.

1 Like

All the articles I have read are very unclear from a developer/personal use perspective. All discuss EIN numbers and other things that a business would have. I just submitted a case with support for clarification. I will post back here with details once received.

Plivo might be an alternative with my community driver if the fees are higher with Twilio.

I did the same. Will be interesting to see if we get the same answer.

1 Like

I see where Plivo can do voice calls. Has your driver been updated for that?

My Plivo and Twilio drivers are pretty similar and both include voice.

Looks that way. From Twilio’s docs website:

Link from that page to The Campaign Registry.

I received the following response from Twilio:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Twilio support. I would be happy to assist you!

Twilio recommends that anyone using a US 10-digit long code to send traffic within the US register for A2P 10DLC to avoid the unregistered carrier fees.

For example, instead of paying $0.002 per registered outbound SMS message segment to AT&T you will be paying $0.004 per unregistered outbound SMS message segment to AT&T.

These fees will vary depending on the carrier.

For information about the types of fees that will incur if you are sending unregistered traffic can be found in the link below.

What pricing and fees are associated with the A2P 10DLC service?

Unregistered traffic being sent in the US will also be subject to increased carrier filtering.

SMS Message Filtering in the United States and Canada

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mercedes | Twilio Support

Unless one is sending a lot of text messages it doesn’t seem worth the trouble. The price is so insignifant for me to worry about. I have maybe 10 texts a week. So that will mean I pay 4 cents instead of 2. If I understand correctly.

1 Like

Agreed. Though I did switch over all my routine notifications to Pushover. Thank you HE for the device swap app!

I also use pushover for most notification’s. However when in my car and CarPlay is connected pushover won’t make a sound or display on car screen. Thus I miss somethings. So some important notifications I use the text from Twilio since that will work on CarPlay.

Hmm that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Time to go through and reprioritize my alerts!

I also use Pushover for most alerts but use SMS for the higher priority ones like water leaks, power outages, and alarms.

This is my interpretation as well though some carriers may start filtering SMS messages too. My USPS mail carrier is very unreliable and mail arrives anytime between Noon and 8 PM so I have many neighbors subscribed to my mailbox sensor via SMS. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Ours also can arrive anytime between noon and 8 pm. And to add to that, they can't seem to tell the difference between RD and CT. Got to know some other folks that way to trade mail back and forth. :slight_smile:

1 Like