Trying to make a dashboard in SharpTools

I haven't signed up for the Beta. I'm such a complete newbie that I doubt anything I say would be worth anything!

Simple, you say? It might sound simple to me in a year or two, but right now all I see is words.

But I'll look to see if I can figure out how to create a virtual motion sensor...

Sorry, not myself.

That is in fact the way I have it set up currently. Was trying to be a Hero!! (pun intended)

Perhaps you could share how to create and link a virtual motion sensor? :wink:

In really simplistic terms:

• Create a new Virtual Motion Sensor (vMotion)
  • Create a Rule
    -- If PhysicalDeviceMotion = True then vMotion = True Else vMotion = False
  • Use the Virtual Motion Sensor (vMotion) in SharpTools instead of PhysicalDeviceMotion

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your help. I'm still working on it. Want to give it my best shot before whining for help again!

Here's where I'm stuck:
In your example - "Select Actions for ..."
I don't understand how to create "Command: active() on..."

Sorry to drag out what should be something simple.

That might be a RM “Custom Command”. These aren’t really needed in Rule Machine 3. Just use a “Custom Action” which will let you choose from a device’s commands.

1 Like

@ogiewon is correct. In RM3 you don't need it. Most of my RM stuff precedes RM3 by many, many moons.

2 Likes

Before I throw in the towel on this project, I'd like to ask for help just one more time!

If I select "Run Custom Action" for a motion detector, the only choice in the drop-down list is "configure" (shown as a custom command).

If "Run Custom Command" is instead selected, no choices are provided and there's no way to close the dialog.

What I was hoping to find was a way to cause the virtual motion sensor to become active/inactive if the physical motion sensor became active/inactive. I don't see a path to this.

If the Hall Motion is a real motion sensor, it won't have the active and inactive methods.

You want the rule to be triggered when the real motion sensor changes and the action should be to call the active() or inactive() method on the virtual motion sensor.

For reference, in @GatVlieg's post and rule screenshot, it looks like 'LSD Washroom' is a real motion sensor and 'Motion-V Washroom Upstairs' is the virtual motion sensor.

--

That being said, I've made progress on being able to select from the various capabilities via tile templates in SharpTools.io dashboards. I'm hoping to get it into the next beta if I don't run into any major issues. :smiley:

Thanks very much for your help, Josh.

Since I don't subscribe to the New York Times, I assume that I will see news about a motion template right here!

1 Like

Yes, I'll try to remember to update this post when it's released!

I expect to have it released to SharpTools.io beta next week. Are you on the SharpTools.io community as well? If so, I can add you to the beta group.

Here's a preview of how it works in my development environment:

2 Likes

Thanks - I am on the Sharptools community.

That looks great!

1 Like

@silvermanstan
The ability to select layouts based on Thing capability has been released to the SharpTools.io beta! (about the beta program)

Capability driven tile layout selection is now available in SharpTools.io. More details can be found in the following thread:

1 Like

That animated fan tile is awesome!

1 Like