Trying to make a dashboard in SharpTools

If the Hall Motion is a real motion sensor, it won't have the active and inactive methods.

You want the rule to be triggered when the real motion sensor changes and the action should be to call the active() or inactive() method on the virtual motion sensor.

For reference, in @GatVlieg's post and rule screenshot, it looks like 'LSD Washroom' is a real motion sensor and 'Motion-V Washroom Upstairs' is the virtual motion sensor.

--

That being said, I've made progress on being able to select from the various capabilities via tile templates in SharpTools.io dashboards. I'm hoping to get it into the next beta if I don't run into any major issues. :smiley:

Thanks very much for your help, Josh.

Since I don't subscribe to the New York Times, I assume that I will see news about a motion template right here!

1 Like

Yes, I'll try to remember to update this post when it's released!

I expect to have it released to SharpTools.io beta next week. Are you on the SharpTools.io community as well? If so, I can add you to the beta group.

Here's a preview of how it works in my development environment:

2 Likes

Thanks - I am on the Sharptools community.

That looks great!

1 Like

@silvermanstan
The ability to select layouts based on Thing capability has been released to the SharpTools.io beta! (about the beta program)

Capability driven tile layout selection is now available in SharpTools.io. More details can be found in the following thread:

1 Like

That animated fan tile is awesome!

1 Like

I love the Fan Tiles implementation in SharpTools, especially the animation!

However, I have several Lutron fan controls but notice that in SharpTools those don't show a speed option (and subsequent animation) for Medium-High. Lutron fan control speeds are: Off, Low, Medium, Medium-High, and High...

Adding in the animation for the additional speed would be relatively straightforward, so I've added that to the hit list.

I could probably also add an option to the tile to let you check the boxes of what fan speeds you want to cycle through... though I'm hesitant to add too many options to the tiles for fear of overcomplicating things!

It would be cool if the drivers reported a supportedSpeeds property similar to what thermostats have. Then we could use that to automatically show the right list of speeds for each device!

2 Likes

Thanks Josh, that would be great if the Medium-High could be implemented too. I'm not sure on the Hubitat side what can be done to report the various speed options available for each fan control driver (of which there are likely several flavors besides the Lutron fan control). Maybe someone else can chime in with that info.

I'm also wondering if it make sense to have Hubitat's Sharptools built-in app have a new grouping specific to fan controls? Right now I have to add all my ceiling fans under the "Which switches?" grouping. Maybe something more for the Hubitat engineers to ponder...

1 Like

It's on the list. We'll need to make an update to the app and submit it to the HE team for review and inclusion in a hub update. Since most Fans can already be authorized under Switch or other capabilities, we've been prioritizing engineering efforts elsewhere. :slight_smile:

Support for medium-high fan speed was included in today's beta release.

• Devices that report a medium-high fan speed, like Lutron, will show the value and a relevant animation now
  • Speed Picker and Set Speed actions show the ‘medium-high’ option
  • Cycle Speeds can cycle from ‘medium-high’ if your fan is already set to that speed elsewhere, but will not cycle to ‘medium-high’
    Note: I have it on the hit list and if there's enough demand for it, we'll provide an option for configuring which speeds are cycled or shown in the picker.

@KakaduDreamer I saw that you had an account on the SharpTools.io community so I added you to the beta group so you can see the beta category. :smiley:

2 Likes

That's awesome Josh! Thank you for putting that Medium-High fan speed support into beta release for SharpTools. I will check it out!

1 Like

Hi Josh... I'm considering SharpTools... so do you make any changes to the Rules engine when Hubitat developers make changes? Do you have a relationship with Hubitat where you know what's coming down the pipe ahead of patch schedule? Is there a delay? Just curious in how your process works. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for the message, @St_Isidore!

The developer model Hubitat provides with device 'Capabilities' defining a set of device actions/attributes provides a nice abstraction layer for developers. This allows us to develop new features in SharpTools.io independently as Hubitat develops new features in the hubs.

This is the same approach that Hubitat uses in many first part apps as well as many community developers use to ensure their apps remain consistent across each hub update.

We do run beta releases on our hubs to verify that everything continues to run smoothly. Though I think I may have just broken the first rule of the club... :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like