Troubleshooting C7 Hub Slow Down issue?

You may want to be catious about doing a "whole hub" Z-Wave repair. They can sometimes cause problems themselves...

Do you have any Z-Wave devices making a lot of route changes?

That sounds like a ZW device having issues. One bad or failing device can kill even a good ZW mesh. I have, what I consider, a strong mesh with a lot of mains powered devices, etc and after debug I found one of my blinds went AWOL and it just crushed my ZW response time.

1 Like

I ran a full mesh repair and got 2 "failed" devices. Both are working perfectly tho (respond to z-wave commands etc) which makes no sense to me.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 10.44.30 am

I’ve seen this too. :point_up:

The solution was to power-off all my z-wave devices and then power them on again. (I had my hub on a UPS)

The issue was that one of my Z-Wave device was spamming the network. The reboot fixed it. I think I could have also rebooted a powered device at a time. Powering off the house was just faster…

@djos, I understand that battery devices will report as Failed Nodes most of the time during a Z-Wave repair.

That's not completely surprising, I don't think a full repair every gets them all, it could have been asleep or just didn't complete the process in time; you can do an individual repair if you want. There's also a ZW mesh analyzer app that provides a nice snap shot of the state of the mesh. You could try that and see if any device has a slow response time, too many hops, etc.

1 Like

Cheers, I'll check that out.

Good luck, ZW issues are not easy to track down.

1 Like

The "failed" nodes were mains powered devices.

Ok so I was able to fix one failed node via a repair, but the other one is cactus ... ever after power cycling it. I might try a HW reset and re-include it.

Ironically it's a repeater (Aeotec Range Extender 6) - Thankfully I dont think I need it anymore so removing it isnt a big deal.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.44.01 am

I would also check your z-wave table and device pages for ghosts

Have you checked on your DB size? It is known to cause slow downs and Z-wave issues. Alert - Your database is growing

2 Likes

I don’t have any ghosts thankfully.

No but I’ll have a look.

EDIT: I'm not getting any DB size alerts.

If you just want to do a 1 time check:

http://yourHubIP/hub/advanced/databaseSize

Ta, it says 69

DB Size is not your problem :sunglasses:

1 Like

As my Range Extender 6 wouldn't repair and I've now removed it, I've changed my reboot back to weekly to see if the slow down issue is resolved.

1 Like

Nice

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

1 Like

:rofl: I hadn't even noticed!

So after ~48 hours of continuous uptime, everything is still working normally.

Looks like my Range Extender 6 was the culprit!

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated. :+1:

3 Likes