Trouble with radar detector

I'm having trouble with a Sonoff SNZB-60P radar detector. Every now and then it stays active and doesn't shutdown a light. I have to go to the device page and refresh and save preferences.
Any way to correct this. This seems to happen with my tuya mm wave detector too.

Do you have any fans in the area? The air currents can maintain the motion.
Try reducing the sensitivity.
Is it -06P vs -60P? If so it is 5.8GHz vs 24Ghz and may be reacting to motions through walls.

I was thinking of that but I turn fans off and the detectors are placed underneath wall cabinets.
Set back about 12".

So is the device detecting activity that you don’t want it to?

Or is the device not updating what it sends to the hub?

Those are two different problems, but if refreshing the device page updates the device’s status, that might point more towards the latter explanation.

3 Likes

That's correct. It detects motion but not the inactive state. Once refreshed and saved it shows inactive.

Saving the preferences sends again the radar sensitivity, maximum distance, etc... - this seems to effectively start an internal re-calibration procedure in the device firmware, resulting in a motion detection reset.

What is your 'Radar Sensitivity' setting?

It's set at 2

Try setting the sensitivity to 1 (low).
The Sonoff mmWave sensor is a way too much sensitive.

Will do. I'll let you know how it works.

Off Topic, but the term "radar detector" got me thinking. I wonder if a radar detector, as in for a car, could be of use in checking these sensors out?

The car radar detectors are passive (typically) - they detect the electromagnetic energy transmitted by the police radars. (There are also active anti-radars for cars but I think they are illegal for use in all countries).

The mmWave sensors that we are using here are active - they emit a very low-power electromagnetic energy in the mmWave band and then detect the change of the reflected signals. If there are no reflective objects that have changed their position - no motion is detected.

2 Likes

Set to 1 did not activate. Set it back to 2 again.
Device . Now it's not working at all.
I'm lost. It seems Everytime I do a hub update the radar has problems. Is this possible, or just seems that way.

Just checked device and inactive I re-saved and did not change. Set motion active and hit button and became active. Light came on for a minute and turned off again

The Tuya PIR sensors driver has an option for a software 'reset' to motion inactive after a programmable time. That option exists because some of the PIR sensor never send a 'motion inactive' event, by design they sent a Zignee event only when motion is detected.

I was thinking about whether a similar option could hep with the mmWave sensors? This is something that we can experiment.

What is your use case? You mentioned installing the mmWave sensor under the table.... What is the typical time frame when a human can stay near the table but not make any move?

Help needed - Ask Tuya on Tuya forum to make their mmWave devices less spammy!

The detectors are under cabinets to prevent the ceiling fans from being detected.

This is in the kitchen so someone can sit at the table and not move (reading) for hours.

Is it the Sonoff radar?

Yes it's radar. I just deleted my rules and hit the set motion to motion and it shows active for the last 20 minutes with someone in the room.

Room was empty for 2 minutes still showing active. Fading time 30

Just hit refresh and save preferences, shows inactive with someone in the room.

I don't understand, the has been working for weeks.

Do you think it will start working again if I delete the device and reinstalled it?

Most probably, this 24Ghz radar will not work when mounted under the cabinets EDIT: Sonoff SNZB-06P has a 5.8Ghz radar! ... The first 5.8Ghz radars seems to penetrate thin wood much better than the 24Ghz.

Re-installing will not change anything, in my opinion. The Sonoff radar will not work well when there are obstacles around it. Sonoff radar is one of the most problematic (being too much sensitive), the objects in front of it will de-tune it.... it is not intended to be used this way.

1 Like

It worked well for weeks. Never had a problem. It does not have to see through wood. The detectors is mounted 48" above the floor and 4" below the cabinet. It has clear site of the room from the floor to 48" up.