Too soon? when is the C8 coming out?

Odd but I see a lot of code that is anything but efficient :slight_smile: Besides, by definition software can only hope to approach the max efficiency of the hardware, never exceed. This is not a hardware vs software thing its just physics.

1 Like

Hubitat 11 is in the offing

6 Likes

Continuing my 'poke the bear' as it was so eloquently put - why is DB size important? why optimize field length?
and on the IP side, folks are now putting wall dashboards up - how many smart mirrors and wall mounted tablets, (with their inherent i/o) + remote admins + trigger events to outside proggy's like Blue Iris and Alexa before it becomes a concern? The point brought up about power consumption of Gb seems unimportant - it's not running on batteries - so really this becomes not a "Why?" but a "Why not" - IMHO of course.
And I need a ferrari to get to the liquor store. absolutely.

When wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while realize the pig is enjoying it.

I AM NOT suggesting the OP is a pig, that is just how the saying goes.

3 Likes

"Tip of the hat".

And that C11 ... I WANT THAT!

@aaiyar - this really isn't relevant as a bridge issue - more the TCP/IP response speeds. I see them as 2 different networks to optimize and I can't do much about the z's networks :slight_smile:

There is a school of thought that says the hub should have all of the above mentioned capabilities just to take away the complaints from people who think that only the latest and greatest is worth purchasing (OP?), irrespective of whether these features actually add any extra capability to the hub. So, by this line of thought, we should have 1G LAN, Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave Long Range, Matter (even though it doesn't exist), BLE, cellular radio, POE, integrated Wifi, battery backed real time clock, and for good measure more RAM, larger Flash, faster CPU cores, and more connector options.

Doing all of this would add many dollars to the cost of the hub, so we'd have to subscribe to a business theory that (1) we would gain more than enough additional sales to cover the loss in margin, or (2) that having these features would justify a higher price, the resistance to which would be overcome by the added demand for these features, even though adding those features would not add much functionality.

Which of those theories are in fact true?

5 Likes

When I was a young boy I remember looking through the toy catalog with the same enthusiasm :slight_smile:

1 Like

You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Your LAN connection can be as fast as you want it to be, but it'll mean diddly-squat for how well your automation system works - as long as it is an automation system that relies of zigbee, z-wave, and ClearConnect.

Anyway, my lunch break is over ....

3 Likes

Funny I made a similar remark to my son when he bought his first HellCat. At the time he was about a 1/4 mile from the grocery, so I poised the question "Is it really necessary to be able to get to the grocery in 10 seconds or less?", his response, "Maybe not, but it sure is fun to do it!" :rofl:

6 Likes

If I could be excused for reminiscing, I'd like to share a memory.
Around 5-8 years ago (I think it was in my "Vera" years), after a considerable amount of research and analysis and investigation, I was absolutely convinced that BLE was the answer of the future. I was sure that manufacturers were going to produce BLE enabled devices in quantity. I would have bet money that the BLE protocol was the answer to all hardware issues. It was just simply a matter of time (no pun intended!), and BLE would be the only protocol that mattered (pun intended).
Ha! After that great call, I gave up prognosticating on the IOT market.

1 Like

After this inspiring thread, I think we'll forego ever bringing out a Model C-8, and go straight to Model Excelsior-1000.

14 Likes

[quote="bravenel, post:27, topic:76432"]
purchasing (OP?), irrespective of whether these features actually add any extra capability to the So, by this line of thought, we should have 1G LAN, Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave Long Range, Matter (even though it doesn't exist), BLE, cellular radio, POE, integrated Wifi, battery backed real time clock, and for good measure more RAM, larger Flash, faster CPU cores, and more connector options.
[/quote] - The C11 - see above photo!
Seriously, I'll stop antogonizing but . one final comment from me : The chip price diff is $1.80 at digikey. i'm sure it's less in bulk - but from a marketing standpoint, just SAYING you have GB interface - wouldn't that sell more units? Honestly, considering how much I've put into my home automation ($1500?) - spending $149 on a new hub isn't really an issue now that it's not a toy anymore. IMHO of course.

1 Like

I believe the parts cost for an automobile is in the order of $3000 to $4000. So why do they sell for $20k?

You should take a course in business if you want to compare part cost to final product cost.

1 Like

Not to get in the pig pen here.... I'll sit on the side lines and wonder, if a product doesn't have what you want and you've been given the reasons why they aren't there, tell me then why are you here? Now excuse me while I go back to my server center that runs critical systems for the hospital I'm dealing with at the moment.

I think this sums up the whole thread, if the OP thinks adding a useless "feature" is a positive thing, then I understand the original statement.

2 Likes

I don't doubt that the fact putting 1 Gbe LAN on the box would sell a few more units (because consumers are odd). I just don't think it enough to tip the scales in favor of HE's bottom line.

My brother in law just put together a new computer and bought each component based on whether or not they were the latest and greatest. Never thought to view it as a system so wasted money and put together a system that performed worse than a cheaper one that was more thought out. There is money to be made on people like that, but probably not on a niche product like Hubitat.

1 Like

Besides I KNOW it doesn't agree with Hubitats moral compass. It would be just marketing BS. Those who recognize it would think less of Hubitat.

2 Likes

POE.. yes please

Faster hardware, processor, RAM, networking. Only if it will make a difference.

3 Likes

PoE splitters are a simple and cheap workaround for anyone that wants to use PoE to power the hub. I suspect that’s a minority of hub users overall (although I use one).

2 Likes