Hubitat C8 Unresponsive, C8 Locked Up, C8 Frozen,

That last was a bit snotty. I'm sorry Bill. Let me be serious for a second... The integrator thing you mentioned is true. I agree with you. I want this to work, I want success for everybody. This thing is positioned squarely in the integrator market at the sub-crestron, C4 etc level. Right where it needs to be. A better Smart Things, a better Wink, no strings attached. Huge community support and OEM support too. There's even a "remote admin" hubitat product... who's that aimed at? People with 4 houses? Those guys can afford to pay US to install C4 or Crestron. This is for our clients that just want a little bit of the good stuff. Maybe control a few lights. a sprinkler. And we can remote admin them to support them. So I think the bricking hardware is a problem. I can just cycle a port remotely on the switch, reboots the hub, problem solved. But not everyone can own a setup with Meraki for their home.
Anyways, it's a problem. I hope they fix it.

Mark sounds like a fun guy. Yup no one wants PoE, like the Hubitat guys said "just go buy the splitter" but um yeah... Found it: 304.90 USD. I bought 2. they both suck because they occasionally brick. :wink:

I didn’t say no one wants it. I even acknowledged I use PoE to power my C7 hub.

What I said was that people loudly clamoring for it here in the forum don’t necessarily represent the needs or wants of most hub users.

I believe you’re continuing to make assumptions about who the hub is “for” based on your own experience.

1 Like

I do make assumptions... They tend to be right too. The older I get the less satisfying it becomes. I frequently dread being right now.

1 Like

I wish I came from a place where everyone was above average, but I have found as I get older that making too many assumptions usually leads to incorrect conclusions.

3 Likes

For supporting clients I'd recommend adding a WiFi plug to be able to remotely power cycle the hub. Note a power cycle without shutdown has the potential to corrupt the database. I'd recommend to do a database restore if you do a hard restart. I'd also install Hub Information driver, a rule to reboot if memory goes below a threshold, and a rule to reboot if the Zigbee radio goes offline. Increased reliability would be my #1 feature request.

1 Like

169.00.... From the hubitat store.
https://www.amazon.com/Hubitat-Elevation-Automation-C-8-Compatible/dp/B0BSNZVDJ2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NXR90T0TQX8F&keywords=hubitat&qid=1695846487&sprefix=hubitat%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-1

That said, Currently have around 200 devices. 60 z-wave, about 60 zigbee, and another 66 lutron. Rest are virtual and lan (lifx nanoleaf, rachio, apple, eand what haveyou). No crashes, occasionally my iotawatt goes off line but that's not the fault of the hub. Average 250k free mem, have had good interactions with the devs and support staff.

The reason you see more problems than praise here is due to this is a support forum, not a praise forum. This is where a very small percentage of registered hub owners come to to voice a problem. So you tend to see more complaints.

No, simply that people want to control things when they're away. Myself? I use a VPN on my Watchguard.

Haven't seen any hardware bricked unless it's like an old C4 whos internal memory can't be written to anymore. Bricked devices are extremely rare. Occasionally you will have someone that is on 2.2.3 and wants to upgrade to the latest and there is an issue with the diags but that can be downloaded ahead of the update to fix that.

This has been talked to to death and been responded to several times by staff.
See here Too soon? when is the C8 coming out? - #27 by bravenel

This belongs in the Lounge.

1 Like

Because very few devices have it either on the router or the device end of things. Probably even fewer people use it than have it on a device/router.

POE is getting a little more popular, but even my brand new $300 router doesn't have it. It isn't a necessary thing, and for many people it would only increase the cost of the hub without adding any value.

You don't say!

2 Likes

Dude. Right? Do we have any solutions to offer? Or more nitpicking my opinions and quoting me to death. I think what I think, it's not like one guy has it all right. I don't. But the whole thing about the PoE is dumb, A splitter has nothing to do with it and it would be nice to have PoE included but it's just not that important. Why do these things keep bricking? IDGAF about some trolling nonsense about what I think but at least offer something useful besides pointing out my typos. WTF.

Ive seen only one router come with PoE. It's common on switches though. So yeah. Maybe its just a dumb ask. But it's not whats causing these to brick.

Fine. Got any ideas why they brick?

I have used Wattbox with good results. ALso Digital Loggers has really good network access power solutions too.
Sucks that rebooting is the only way to unbrick (unlock) it as of now.

Bricking indicates they won't boot and cannot load os. If they're booting and eventually crashing that's another story. Locking up and being bricked are two different things. :slight_smile:

Jumbo Frames. Could be a cause. You indicated no jumbo frames but are any other lan devices on your network pushing out JF?

Anecdotal evidence of a combination of POE connectors and Unifi switches. POE adapters with other switches not affected.

Rogue devices taking down the mesh. Suspects always inlude Kasa, zoon zen-25 and zooz 4-in-1 sensors. (500 series mainly)

A rogue lan integration.

Devices paired as s0 overwhelming the mesh.

Did you ever get with @gopher.ny on your engineering logs? What did he have to say?

Are you running static or dhcp/dhcp reservation?

Have you been monitoring your free memory to see if it's getting drained and crashing? (use @thebearmay 's Hub Information Driver)

What have you seen in the logs during the lock up period?

I assume you're connected via lan.

Are you using the OEM power supplies?

Have you recently updated to the latest platform and then done a soft reset?

4 Likes

WTF are you talking about?

I just suggested this thread belongs in the Lounge as it has gone way off topic.

4 Likes

This is good. Fair enough, not bricked. :wink:
LAN via Ethernet
Reserved IPs in DHCP pool for all IoT devices, Static IP on Hub.
I suspected Zwave too.. but I do not see logs showing anything and have rebuilt the mesh at least twice. Excluded everything properly, re-added, nada.
Rogue LAN integration is interesting but I have tried running it with No homekit, minimal Zwave for only supported devices and it still Locks. Even after resets, both soft and nuclear.
I will monitor the memory, that's awesome, thank you.
Have used OEM power supply and aftermarket, no joy.
I still need to send in logs. I have not spent the time to properly do so. I also do not really have the experience to properly see the logs and know what I am looking at,
Its much easier to reboot it, cycle the port etc.
Always up to date.

Can you please suggest reference materials for interpreting logs?

For giggles, do a DHCP reservation on that and use the network reset button on bottom of hub, press for 7 seconds. (only round hole out of all the sq ones)

Just send @gopher.ny your hub id, he can look at the engineering logs (these are different than what you can see)

That's a difficult one. Look for the same things being really chatty. Such as if you have a lot of power reporting devices, power reporting should be turned off for now.

Did you have any of the devices I mentioned?

Using @thebearmay 's hub information driver. Set a rule that notifies you if it gets down below 120k

What iot devices do you have integrated?

Can you post your z-wave details page in full? (use windows snip)

3 Likes

Hi again,

So I've tried the included USB brick, did a DB soft reset, still no luck sadly. What was an every-day issue now is 3-4 day issue, which still means it is unreliable and I can't use it. On top of that it keeps unpairing with my Xiaomi zigbee devices on every freeze, so I have to go manually re-pair those...

Diagnostic tool is available though - even if there is no dashboards and no WEbserver on the HUB, the 8081 port is accessible and diagnostic tool remains available. Other than rebooting the HUB however I am unsure what to do there...

For now I'm going back to C-7 which never did this.

Just for reference, maybe a pattern will emerge:

• I use Ubiquiti switches, gateway, everygthing
  • C-8 is connected to the supplied brick although it was initially on a multi-port USB brick (No PoE)
  • only 10-12 zigbee devices are used (all Xiaomi)
  • LAN is used rather than Wi-Fi with DHCP reserved address (I will try a fixed LAN address as well)
  • Integrations used : DateTime Display, Gcal switch, gCalendar Driver, Gmail notification device, Hunter hydrawise controller, iFrame advanced, Shelly RGBW, RGBW White, Simple CSS Editor, Tado heating, Tile Master driver, WeatherFlow, WeatherFlow Lite, Xiaomi button, Xiaomi Door/Window sensor, Xiaomi smart light sensor, Xiaomi Original motion sensor.

I will go through all apps / drivers that I don't use and delete them, but I've already deleted lots of apps and drivers I've experimented with that caused no issues on the C-7...

That means you don't have a network issue.

Unfortunately, that also means none compatible and known to cause problems on C-8 hubs.

While C-8 has a better Zigbee radio and a different firmware, it doesn't offer users a better experience for incompatible Xiaomi devices.

3 Likes

Thank you! Just to be clear, are the Xiaomi devices themselves causing those issues or are their drivers causing issues? Because after first three or four unpairing events I couldn't be bothered to re-pair any of them and now they just don't work...

And how are those thermometers/devices incompatible? They worked fine with C-7, on the C-8 I noticed somewhat better RSSI strength while they worked... Thanks!

I think in most cases it has been found to be related to the implementation of the Zigbee protocal on those devices. Something about how it was impleted doesn't always play nice with HE and sometimes they kind of work under certain conditions like specific repeaters being used. I think some users adjusted the zigbee radio power to try to force their similar devices through repeaters with mixed success.

2 Likes