Hubitat C8 Unresponsive, C8 Locked Up, C8 Frozen,

Checking in: No lockups since the Hub was restarted almost a week ago on 2023-09-13 07:08:24.258 MDT. Currently 2023-09-18 18:44:53 MDT as I write this.

2 Likes

Is this after switching to the OEM power supply?

The OEM power supply has not been used. The C8 has been running off of the PoE splitter since day 1.

You're one of the lucky ones that the poe splitter+ unifi switch works.. :slight_smile: Glad to hear though. Likely it was the jumbo frames giving you the issue then.....(Or did gopher have you try some other stuff?)

Alright, well, it finally happened. After getting contacted by the Hubitat team, my C-8 was placed on a beta version of 2.3.6. Upgraded on September 20th, UniFi Controller shows that it disconnected (went unresponsive) on the 23rd. Noticed today (26th) when I tried to access the web UI to toggle a Z-Wave switch that wasn't activating.

So either it's something with 2.3.6, or the jumbo frames weren't the issue.

Hello!

So I found this thread as my C-8 Hub, which I bought for the better zigbee radio, keeps hanging every other day. So far I've had it for 6 days and it has hanged 4 times already. Nothing is available, as far as I can tell no rules or integration are misbehaving based on logs...
Power cycle is the only option as this seens to be a HW or low level FW issue.

On top of that my zigbee devices got unpaired twice within these 6 days.

I've done a full cloud migration following the migration video and it went smoothly.

I'll try the soft reset as suggested, but I'm running it off of the same PSU as C-7 (4 port USB multi-PSU, not a PoE spliter and running version 2.3.6.136...

I'll try the original included PSU after the soft reset and see.

Any suggestions for me? Thank you in advance!

When it locks have you tried using a web browser to go to yourhubip:8081 ??

Can you use the power supply that came with it for a bit just to eliminate it?

Can you post your z-wave details page? (use windows clip)

What platform are you currently on?

Blockquote

I will try the Diagnostic Tool if the HUB hangs again, I've now moved to the original adapter, my platform version is 2.3.6.136, but I've had two older versions (IDK which ones) that were the same in terms of freezing of the hub.

Z-Wave is currently disabled as I've never used those...

What lan integrations do you use? Any kasa stuff?

OP Here, looks like it's getting reported now. Still happens to me every month or so. No explanations and I follow along here in my Email Inbox...

Something that I want to express... some mild, low-key outrage... NO PoE SPLITTERS. Really. So during the Big Reveal of the C8, one of the repeat questions was: Does it FINALLY have PoE and the response was somthing like: "Cmon maaaan, you guys can just get the $5 device for that...". Sooo yeah. I am unimpressed at the way that was related to us... for expecting you to include PoE in a product version 3 or 4? when we have ALL been vocal at you about it, and you tossed it off back at us like we are whiney kids. There is not really a higher level geek than you're likely to find here.., Everyone I know has heard of Hubitat. Their feedback should be gospel. They think Rule Machine is anemic. They think PoE should be included by now. They think what you sell should work in real-world scenarios. Especially for $250. Especially if your knocking on Apple's door trying to get Homekit Cert. because we all know Apple just loves 3rd party integrations. Especially janky ones.
I certainly can't sell this version when its stops working in my house and PoE splitters brick it, and the response to the PoE question was essentially: "go buy a splitter and stop whining" My C5 worked for YEARS with that crummy micro-usb splitter...

Thanks for listening. Ill go plug a stupid wall wart with USBc into the hub and see if I can get a few months out of it without it bricking my entire house.

If I sold this to a client they would go batshit if this was happening. I have clients that I kind of fear dude. I used to like selling them innovative new stuff, but I had to get really careful, really quick above the six-figure line... C4, Crestron, honeywell, all because this Hubitat thing cant break out of the hobby/prosumer niche. I want to love this and throw all-in but sadly, its still not ready yet.

That ranted, Hubitat is amazing. I do love it. I do respect the engineering and the engineers responsible... I especially love the amazing, talented, brilliant community, that's responsible for so much of the progress...

1 Like

I wrote that a month or so ago... Made Zero Diff. Still bricks every so often. I'm thinking refund now.

It's not a universal POE thing as far as I can tell because my C-8 is running off a POE since the day/moment it arrived. But, I don't have any Ubiquity in my home. My POE switch to a POE splitter works fine. Therefore, for yourself, you can experiment with what works, what doesn't. For your Customers, no way would I experiment. I'd stick to the included power adapter.

I'm sure you recognize that POE is 48 volts and that drop from 48 to 5 has to be dissipated somewhere. It's not a lot, but it might just push the fanless Hubitat Hub into fan territory, and who wants that? Or increase the size of the hub for more airflow, etc. It would be a lot of engineering for not much gain. In fact, I would posit that there's no business gain to be had.

I got the same run around, blaming integrations or "issues" on my network. I see more and more users posting with the same issue. The lock-ups and zigbee flakiness are real problems. My guess is there are significant hardware or software faults that are not being addressed. I note that the pace of development and updates seem to have slowed as well. There does not seem to be a will to address the reality. My gut says they are in negotiations or positioning to be acquired and thus not focused on end user satisfaction. I'm getting close to just moving everything to another solution. I have stopped recommending Hubitat to anyone. It had such potential but seems stuck.

You can file a claim at Warranty – Hubitat Support Based on some other threads there have been some rareish hardware issues with C-8s that have been fixed with replacements.

I generally agree with some of the hardware comments. The box is value engineered and could stand some beefing up. Network should be resilient to jumbo frames. POE splitters should always work. Database should not be subject to corruption based on simple power failures. Maybe C-9?

Not sure who "they" are. But in my experience RM is pretty good and hits a sweet spot. The general choices are between clickity device choosing interfaces and scripting. Hubitat apps other than WebCore are of the clickety fashion. I'm also a Control4 user. Its interface is also clickety with some drag and dropping. RM is similar to C4's manual programming. And RM is easier to build complex automations. Not to mention Room Lighting. C4 has nothing native more complex than Simple Rules for motion lighting. Hubitat is clearly ahead for any complex lighting automation. At the same time the C4 controller is a more reliable piece of equipment without the susceptibility to database corruption. None of the home automation systems from DIY to installer-based are perfect.

They's my veteran IoT people who are nerdlords. I think its fine. I barely ever use it but to get around the "No WIFi" stuff on the Native Homekit integration.
I use all Meraki. C8 is wired. The USBc PoE adapter have a little stepdown converter in there. It's not really that much unless the amperage is high.. no? Also it worked for years with c5. Also, also... wtf are they doing when they include PoE in a teeny RBP daughter board... or zillions of other sensors that are PoE enabled. Its bullshit is what it is, and in the end it made zero diff.
Also I love Clickety. lol

Bang on. The obvious answers cannot possibly be the right ones... C8 is a dud. Prove me wrong.

I think you have a typo there.. "It's business is what it is" -- is that what you meant?

I'm pulling your leg.. my brand of humor there.. made me grin anyway. :smiley:

3 Likes

lol, right. It's so dumb. It's a bump, its a bummer. We will all get through it, god forbid we have to get up and flick a light switch like barbarians. I really think this thing could be great. It needed the better zwave range, WiFI, and oh... PoE. Ive seen PoE implemented with devices, fanless, with components that looked like grains of salt for gods sake.. We all have to locate the thing in the Center of our IoT universe... so why not include PoE. FTW? Im just crabby. Ill just use the c5 until this is resolved. These people are not idiots. They know about it.

These aren't the kind of people who install/configure dealer systems or most DIY power users. It's easier for more people to create usable complex automations in Hubitat (or C4) than to write Home Assistant scripts. Maybe WebCore is somewhere in between.

Mine works fine. Never any network issues, never any Zigbee or Z-Wave issues. Doesn't mean everyone has the same experience, doesn't mean there's not room for improvement. I'll almost certainly buy a C-9 when it comes out.

I agree. But I remain critical. If you run a business, you run it with integrity, This is a business. Anyone who says stuff like "It's just business" is a piece of ■■■■. Have some standards. Accept when you are wrong. Do better. That sort of stuff.
I'm glad yours works. I'll buy the C9 (with F**ing PoE) too. But if everything is working so well... why not head on over to the "My ■■■■ works great!" thread and comment there!