Too soon? when is the C8 coming out?

Yes indeed and I use a lot here for my devices but at least with the affordable < $20 devices I’ve found reliability poor and the 1GBit ones are significantly more expensive

Thankfully for HE, you can use the 100M one! :rofl:

4 Likes

So.... Is this the C8 or C9? Just asking for a friend.

2 Likes

Bruce said that'll all be included in software version 2.2.9.

For me it would be enough with adding just integrated WIFI and BLE. :heart_eyes:

I'm concerned that there are more than zero topics about overloaded/crashing/problematic to open up the hub to be doing MORE of what it's not really focused on doing. Let me say it another way...

For many, a Hubitat Hub is part of a complete system. A single hub isn't terribly useful without some devices to connect. I know I started from a different perspective than most and continue to be an outlier... I found Hubitat when I already had 4 hubs acting as a system. Today I have 4 Hubitat hubs along with Node-Red, Lutron SmartBridge PRO, Homebridge, Google this and Alexa that. There is no single device that is a greater or lesser value in the total system.

One thing I have no fear of doing is throwing more computing at this... Z-Devices are really slow and not because each switch or dimmer is slow but because of the multiplication. If I want 4 lights on 'simultaneously' then the visible effect is more affected by ZDevice speed than anything else. So when I decided I needed more ZDevice speed (real or imagined) I threw more hardware at it... more hubs. Now at 4 of them (3 for ZDevices, 1 for everything else) and also threw processing power at portions where the logic engine needed a boost, via Node-Red and HubConnect Proxy.

Did I mention I'm comfortable being an outlier? My weirdest element of my total system has to be Homebridge/Homekit because it's pretty much just a Dashboard feature. And I don't use Dashboards. :nauseated_face:

What level of inefficiency am I running on this total system? Certainly piping everything from ZDevice hubs into a central one, so that all of that info can then be piped into HomeKit, Google, Alexa, Dashboards and... there is probably something I'm forgetting... is at some level inefficient vs a "Model Excelsior-1000" which would, I presume, function the same as what I'm doing now. The problem in my mind, and the reason I started typing is... I need at least 3 of the "Model Excelsior-1000" for what I want to do. Room level, individualized presence needs a "Model Excelsior-1000" minimum and I'll need 3 to get the performance I deserve. :smiley:

I would like the POE feature though.. as easy as those converters are, they are each bigger and more unwieldy than the hub. Their wire stiffness means they control hub placement more than I'd like.

• 1gig ethernet, is a marketing check mark only, in my eyes.
  • POE, yep,
  • More processing (CPU, mem) Nope.. I'm much more worried about the finite lifetime of Flash memory than the quantity.
  • Matter/BLE/Chip -- ask me again in 4 years, although I am really saddened by that vanishing BLE dream too. It was one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind on initially discovering Hubitat. "But BLE is moments away.. how can they NOT have that enabled?" (3 years ago.)
3 Likes

Does anyone have a concrete example of a hub having enough IP packets moving through its Ethernet port that comes anywhere close to saturating its 100mbps connection?

2 Likes

I’m not sure about this. Gigabit silicon is newer and on smaller process nodes. Plus the signalling is at a lower voltage. From the ICs I have worked with - microchip/ST/Realtek - this is not true.

Also, I know a switch can mitigate this but you ever notice how a slow car on the highway screws up the other traffic?

But it doesn't screw up other highways. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Has there been consideration for having a ceiling mounted unit, like a wifi access point? It would save the trouble of having a box tucked away somewhere, and it could easily be placed in a central location.

Probably wouldn’t make sense unless they added PoE support.

You can do PoE with a splitter.

2 Likes

Indeed, as I mentioned above. I’m just not sure why they would add a hardware revision with ceiling mount if the hub didn’t have PoE built in.

Just me thinking out loud, but while I don't disagree that it would be nice to have a Gig-E network connection, just because I like green lights over orange, it seems to me that in a switched architecture, the end device speed of something like a Hubitat and it's data transfer rate, wouldn't really benefit from a GiG-E connection (or 10GBE for that matter).

I think the exception might be the file storage function, but even then we're not talking about massive amounts of data.

Latency? I don't really see that being an issue, unless the congestion rate of the link is really high...I mean, electrically the latency of any given packet would be affected far more by the length of cable than it would be by the line rate --- for big files (e.g. large packet transfers....that may not be due to window sizes and ack times, but still. Once you hit the switch of course, your packets are affected much more by line speed because of all the other data there...and Gig-E is much more beneficial there.

An interesting thought though -- personally, I'd love to see PoE, but beyond that, I'm good with the Keep it simple approach....

S.

1 Like

I always look at it like plumbing. If I have a 2” pipe (100mbps lan) feeding into a 3/4” pipe (zwave), expanding that 2” to 4” (gbit) doesn’t help anything at all. In fact it can hurt! You put increases pressure (the data the hub has to cache until it can get it fed to the zwave) requiring even more hardware upgrades! Unless you’re going to expand that 3/4”, nothing will be faster.

2 Likes

Is pre order open for that? :rofl:

1 Like

We haven't decided between $1,295.99 and $1,495.95. We expect high volume at either price... Also, we're going to build in a smart speaker, so you can do all of your TTS directly and stream audio from RM.

12 Likes