Thinking about switching from Wink

The clues I saw that focused me on FLiRS and Beaming is that it took 3 mins or did nothing from the device page. THOSE symptoms are of a ZWave Mesh issue.. ok, so what's special about a ZWave mesh and Locks? Answer: Beaming. Your lock is responding as if it has no beamer. IF the lock/hub catch each other in the tiny window, it works, other wise they miss each other.

Also... you built your Wink array of devices differently -- deployed in a purchased order vs ease of migration order -- and it's probable they picked a different routing mesh with Hubitat.

Most, maybe all, ZWave Plus devices you or I am likely to buy have beaming. So I'd certainly try the ZWave repair to let it pick that switch.

2 Likes

I am not denying that makes since. I am worried about the placement of the beaming devices. I do not have an outlet very close to the door that I could put one of these. Definitely not line of sight so I hope it won’t need that.

1 Like

It's like a tootsie roll tootsie pop.
:grin:
You'll definitely know when you've placed it correctly. Don't rule any plug out. you may be surprised.

I would say this is a big factor. It worked, until you put it in a blender and stirred the whole mess up.

:see_no_evil:

People, myself included, didn't just buy all this stuff and add it to the hub in one day. But switching hubs you do just that. It will eventually work out, but there is a kink here or there.

2 Likes

Rome

3 Likes

I know wink and hubitat are two different devices and I only keep comparing because as I said it was working before, so I providing that info to help troubleshoot. I know things work differently. I do love how fast the basement lights turn on and off now since I replaced that one switch today. With the old switch and wink it was 10-30 seconds to come on. Now they come on as soon as I press the button.

Ok so you are also saying I should try a zwave repair with hubitat? Is it as simple as it sounds? I will search for instructions as I have not done it before. I did see the option and I think I read you just click it, but maybe I am wrong

I had some similar issues when I first came over from Wink. After adding a bunch more Zwave stuff, it eventually settled out.

April will probably kill me for suggesting it, but I had good luck with the inexpensive Iris 3210L. Some have issues with these, but they seem to do a good job, and they were dirt cheap.

1 Like

Like it was stated before. Rome wasn't built in a day. That holds so true with your environment. I stressed over my locks for weeks before I got them fixed. It was like the miracle worker when I placed the repeaters in the right spot. The light shined down, I heard violins play an "aaaaaahhhhhhhh" and zen was achieved. It sucks and it's exciting to try a new platform. I totally agree that letting it settle for a bit will only benefit you. Also think about that repeater.
:wink:

Oh yea, if you haven't done a Zwave repair, do it now!

Settings tab, Zwave Details, Repair.

1 Like

He can't get them anyway. Or at least not in high quantity.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I recently got another Hub and started moving things from the Hub where they had worked for years, to the new one. I ran into all these issues, again. I have two Yale locks and a Garage Door Opener that I intend to move to the new Hub. I can tell you that moving the Yale's back to their old Hub works faster/better than moving to the new Hub.

All of them are on the new hub now, but I had to experiment with picking device to move over to create the new mesh without obliterating the old mesh.

2 Likes

I will definitely look at getting something to help. I am also looking for some good temp sensors. Are there any that have beaming? And so far even though I have had some issues, I would never consider going back to wink even if it was free and hubitat charged $5 per month. I see the power of this system and the help of the community.

1 Like

Wanna bet!
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I'm going to refer everyone that has problems with these to you
Please fill out the following form
Name:
Daytime Phone:
Nighttime phone:
Address:
Next of kin to harass when you refuse to answer your phone:

:rofl:
I'm just going to say "know what you're getting into with them"

1 Like

When I started with the new Hub I mentioned, of course the first thing was the Mesh. I KNEW what to do.. too bad the mesh didn't understand my reasoning!! I have an Aeon SmartSwitch 6 roughly 18" from one of the Yales.. it would see the Exclude, ignore the include. The Aeon is a beaming repeater... really, it's got little else to do in this world :smiley: I moved the GDO over, and even though it's 25 ft away, THAT's the repeater that works for the locks.

2 Likes

Just temperature? Any other features like motion that you might use?

I am open. I wanted cheap. I noticed the firefighter smoke detector sensor had temp built in. I would like to put a few temp sensors through the house mostly one in the basement and one on the 2nd floor. I am open to having more features and maybe more sensors.

Oh and a funny smart device purchase story... for my kwikset lock the price was close to $200 when I was looking at buying it. Then one popped up on amazon. Used like new condition. $40. When I checked to see why it was so cheap, it said it was missing the battery holder, but was never installed or used. I contacted kwikset and Told them I bought one and lost my battery holder and wanted to buy a replacement. They said no reason to buy one and sent me one for free. Even free shipping and handling. I then bought the lock for $40 instead of $200. One of the best deals I have gotten buying these smart devices...

3 Likes

Line powered temp sensors will be tough. I am trying to think of one.

The closest might be the HSM200 Homeseer, and it is supposedly a repeater.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1254/embedpics

You know that Button you use for your basement? You can eliminate/combine those needs with a well chosen Motion Sensor. The Aeon MultiSensor 6 or it's smaller brother the Aeon TriSensor do well. ZWave wake times are longer than Zigbee so any Zigbee motion sensor will be noticeably faster. The Aeon MultiSensor 6 has an option for permanent mounting and will run off USB power. You mentioned a door for going down into the basement.. the delay the Door addds to your forward momentum probably means the Zigbee advantage is small.

1 Like