Thinking about switching from Wink

I am thinking about coming to Hubitat. below are a list of devices that I am currently using. I am trying to check compatibility with Hubitat. they are all Zwave devices. I have asome insteon light bulbs I did not include since I don't currently have the model number of them. also not a big deal if I have to replace them. thanks in advance for the help.

Kwikset SmartCode 914 Z-Wave Deadbolt

ENERWAVE Z-Wave Plus Relay, Hidden Smart Switch Wireless Remote Control to Lights and Ceiling Fans, 120-277VAC, 10A, Neutral Wire Required, ZWN-RSM1-PLUS

GE 12724 Z-Wave(R) in-Wall CFL-LED Dimmer Switch

GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control Light Switch, On/Off Paddle, In-Wall, White & Lt. Almond Paddles, Repeater & Range Extender, Zwave Hub Required- Works with SmartThings Wink and Alexa, 12722

Leviton DZPA1-1LW Plug-in Appliance Module

GE 45603 Z-Wave Technology Wireless Lighting Control Fluorescent Light & Appliance Module

GoControl WD500Z-1 Z-Wave 500-Watt Wall-Mount Dimmer Switch

GE Link 22604 Wireless 2700K A19 Smart Connected LED Light Bulb

Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm, 2nd Gen, Battery

Kidde 21010625 Battery Operated Wireless Interconnected Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm

I jumped ship two days ago. People on Wink's Facebook page told me it would be easy--and they were right. All of my Z-Wave devices were a breeze (once I figured out how to reset the older Leviton switches) I started by deleting my devices from Wink and within a few minutes, Wink went off line, so I just went around the house and re-initialized them to factory settings and connected them to HE--knowing that in a week my Wink Hub will be bricked. It took less than 30 seconds to connect several of my Leviton plugs to HE. It about 30 minutes of actual connecting time (deducting the hassle of re-booting the connections off from Wink) and I was up and running. Some of the devices wouldn't work with my Google Assistant voice controls until I put them in rooms on the Home App. I'm going to stage two this morning connecting my deadbolt, cameras, and Sengled lights. Hopefully, that will be as seamless as the Z-Wave devices.

4 Likes

These are garbage and a safety hazzard and should be thrown away. Get some EcoSmart Connected bulbs or SengLed Zigbee bulbs.... You'll be much happier (and safer).

Nest removed third-party integration last year, and these devices will not integrate with any hub at this time.

The Wink is the only hub with a Kidde radio... These devices will work standalone, but will not integrate with any currently available hub.

All your other devices are fairly common and should work without issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! It is a bummer about the Kidde smoke detectors. the way I have it set up, is if one go off all the lights in the house come on along with a very loud alarm in the basement. the alarm is set up on one of those plug ins. I got the equipment when a medical building replaced their fire alarm system. I have some strobes and sirens and it gets loud enough to wake you up on the 2nd floor even though it is in the basement. I will want to find a new zwave smoke detector. Any suggestions?
I have not had any issues with those bulbs, but That is always the case util the first time you do. I would not want my first time to be a fire. I will swap those out. I think I have 6 of them that are used daily for 4 years...

Get the Ecolink Firefighter (you need only one). It will let you integrate your existing Kidde detectors into Hubitat. I have one and am using it with my Kidde smoke/co detectors. Works really well.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/ecolink-z-wave-plus-firefighter-ff-zwave5-smoke-and-co-audio-detector

5 Likes

This is not natively supported in Hubitat. You need a community driver written by Eric Maycock for it. Here's the link:

1 Like

Looking at your device list, those GE Link bulbs appear to be your only Zigbee devices, correct? If so, they should actually behave fairly well as long as you don't add any other Zigbee devices to your Hubitat Hub. The problem with these bulbs, along with Cree, older Sylvania bulbs, and others is that they make very poor Zigbee repeaters for anything other than light bulbs. The GE Link have some other quirks as well, like dropping off the mesh for no reason (in my experience.) But, if they are the only Zigbee devices you have right now, and you have no immediate plans to add a bunch of Zigbee motion and contact sensors, I would go ahead and give them a try for now. If they work well enough for you, then great! If not, I would recommend Sengled Zigbee bulbs if you want to directly pair bulbs to the Hubitat Hub. These are NOT Zigbee repeaters and thus you'll probably need a few Zigbee outlets (like the IKEA Tradfri outlets for $10) to help build a strong mesh network. Another option is to connect 'troublesome' zigbee bulbs to a Philips Hue bridge so they are all on their own Zigbee network. Hubitat has a built-in integration to communicate over your LAN to the Hue Bridge.

It is good to have options! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

awesome thanks!
also are these the bulbs I should be getting?

Sengled Smart Light Bulb, Smart Bulbs that Work with Alexa, Google Home, Smart Hub Required, Smart LED Light Bulb A19 Dimmable , 800LM Soft White (2700K), 9W (60W Equivalent), 4 Pack

I was also going to ask about this, but with the other one linked I don't know if I want to get it.

Alexa Enabled Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm with Premium Home Speaker | Onelink Safe & Sound by First Alert

thanks for the help

1 Like

Doesn't look like you have anything that is zigbee on your list of devices. Consider replacing this with a z-wave lightbulb.

I also suggest looking into the zigbee alternatives suggested by @cybrmage.

1 Like

The Sengleds work well with Hubitat.

I don't know anything about the "Onelink Safe & Sound". I would recommend you keep using your existing Kidde detectors and just add the Ecolink Firefighter that I linked to.

1 Like

yeah it is a lot cheaper too! Thanks

1 Like

Not sure how old your Kidde smoke detectors are.
Just a friendly reminder, no matter if your Smoke/Co Detector is dumb or smart they "all" only have a 10 year life cycle.

Might want to look into getting the Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Firefighter as @aaiyar mentioned, and look into replacing your Kidde smoke detectors before their life cycle has ended.

2 Likes

Next question. this is not as important, but I would like it to work also. Currently when my wink hub is connected I have my front door set to unlock when it detects I pull in the driveway. My kitchen lights also come on at night anytime the door is unlocked. can I do the same thing in Hubitat? thanks

Agree with @nkyspike - safety is not something to mess around with.

The advantage of the Ecolink Firefighter is that you can buy inexpensive non-smart smoke detectors and integrate them into your automations .....

1 Like

thanks. they are about 3 years old currently

2 Likes

How are you doing the detection?

Yes - as long as the detection method also works in Hubitat.

Sorry I should have said. I have it set to detect my smart phone location, then set the radius small just around my house. that way it doesn't unlock the door when I take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood. as far as the lights I have a rule set that only applies between sun down and sun rise. if the door is unlocked turn on kitchen lights. I would assume something similar could be done with Hubitat

There are multiple methods available in Hubitat for 'Mobile Presence' detection. The first is to use the Hubitat Mobile Phone App. It has GeoPresence capabiltities, but some have had difficulty getting it to work reliably. I personally use Life360, which Hubitat has a built in integration for, which has been working nearly flawlessly for over two years for the three of us. Life360 is completely free, although they do end up with some of your personal data in return.

There are other options as well, but those somewhat depend on whether you're an iPhone or Android user.

I always recommend starting with the Presence detection integrations that Hubitat natively supports, before heading into deeper water! :wink:

4 Likes

@scotnemily

In addition to what @ogiewon said, when you ready for deeper waters, there are community apps for Hubitat that let you multiplex geofencing methods to reliably establish whether you are "present" or "not present" at home.

This multiplexed approach works extremely reliably. But I'd hold off on trying it until all your devices are up and running on Hubitat and you have either the Hubitat app or Life360 working relatively well for geofencing.

2 Likes

Wyze cameras (~$25) listen for Smoke and CO2 alarms trigger, they send videos and text alerts, pretty out of the box thinking from Wyze. Different alerts for the different alarms.