Thinking about switching from Wink

Ok So another $200 later and I have a Hubitat elevation, 4 replacement Sendgleds bulbs and a Ecolink Z-wave plus Firefighter sensor on the way. Thanks for the help

3 Likes

I agree theyā€™re garbage from the zigbee network point of view. I got rid of mine a couple years ago at this point.

But I hadnā€™t heard about safety issues with them?

I love that device. It has worked 100% if the time for me. Works every time I do a test, has worked the 2x I've had smoke alarms go off. Great little device!

2 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

I was skeptical when I bought it. But very happy I did now.

Well, when I moved from Wink, I had 4 Kidde smoke/CO detectors that integrated with Wink.

So it was either replacing them with First Alert zwave detectors, or giving the ecolink FF a shot. Pleasantly surprised at how consistently well the firefighter has worked.

2 Likes

Good to know it works great. Thanks! I do need to add a few more detectors. I have a guest bedroom that is used a couple of times per year that needs one.

One of the materials that were used in the manufacture of the bulb (as an insulator), when exposed to cycles of heat and cold, would leach a clear oily liquid. Depending on the orientation of the bulb, this liquid can cause shorts on the internal components and is a fire hazard.

3 Likes

Alexa Guard can listen for detectors as well.

Well I got the Hubitat in today. So far it has not been a very pleasant experience. I have tried 4 lights and one switch and I can not get this to discover any of them. I removed them from my wink hub. Then go to inclusion in the Hubitat app. The 60 second timer counts down and it finds nothing. I am able to rediscover them with wink, but not with the Hubitat. Getting pretty frustrated at this point. I have been working on it for an hour and zero success.

Don't wait an hour next time! The community here will help if you ask for it.

Try to do an exclude device in Hubitat, then turn right around and do an include. Also, shut off the Wink hub while trying your include/excludes. The Wink radio might be "stepping on" the Hubitat signal.

What lights are these and what switch?

I did try all of that except turning off the wink hub. I will try that in the morning. I got fed up and went to bed. Figured I would research some and start again in the morning.

2 are Insteon z wave bulbs. 2 are zigbee Ge bulbs. (Thought I would try a different type) the switch is my GoControl WD500Z-1 Z-Wave 500-Watt Wall-Mount Dimmer Switch

GE Link bulbs:
Do a factory reset on the GE Link bulbs before pairing them to Hubitat. I would also recommend pairing them close to Hubitat and then moving them to their final location.

GoControl dimmer:
Exclude this using Hubitat (even if you excluded it with Wink). Also make sure the WInk hub is off while pairing it.

Insteon z-wave bulbs doesn't sound right. Maybe someone like @SmartHomePrimer who has lots of experience with Insteon devices can chip in.

Lol sorry I am tired I meant osram not Insteon that is a different system all together. I did try excluding all using both wink and again in Hubitat. I also performed a factory reset on all devices. Really the only thing I didnā€™t do is turn off the wink hub, which is setting right beside the hubitat so that could be it.

No worries. The Osram bulbs are zigbee (not z-wave).

Oh yea, that would be bad especially if you happened to be on the same channel as Hubitat.

Speaking of which, what channel are you on for Zigbee ? Channels 15 and 20 are usually the best for most devices.

And if you still cannot add devices, I would try a shutdown, (not a reboot) in the Setings menu. Then pull the power cord for 15 seconds, and power back up. That will clear out any memory from the Hubitat.

Yeah thanks I was just getting ready to post I just found that out. That would be why it wasnā€™t discovered. I did try the zigbee for the GE bulbs though. I will try again in the morning with wink unplugged. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Not sure what channel it is on at the moment. To be honest I donā€™t know how to check. I will find out though and then let you know.