Thinking about switching from Wink

Wow. I have almost a dozen of these bulbs both inside and outside. Besides the occasional disconnect that I remedied by recently putting them on my Hue bridge, they have been fine. Any idea what bulb orientation will cause this issue? Do you have a reference or link you could share?

Ok I have made some progress but this stupid GoControl WD500Z-1 is driving me crazy. I can not get it to resest. I got it removed from the wink hub, and have the wink hub unplugged. I have followed the instructions tap the top 5 times then hold the bottom for 15 seconds, but I never get a flashing light. I have also tried doing the opposite, tapping the bottom and holding the top. still no luck. I have tried to discover it thinking maybe it is already reset. not luck. one of the instructions I founds says to pair it tap the top butting 4 times rapidly. this did not work for me. I never get any of the flashing lights that It says I will get. Any ideas?

It apprears your experience isn't unique. It looks like these are very hard to reset once paired to Wink. They reset when paired to other z-wave controllers (Vera in specific):

Thanks. I have read that post and I think I might just replace the switch at this point. I got it removed from wink, though it never blinked as the manual says it will. I also followed the manual for resetting it and it does not reset, or if it does I can not get it to pair again, which could be the case. It may have reset and not just isn't pairing. I have no clue at this point. I am looking at the Inovelli Z-Wave Switch either red or black series. any feed back on this switch, or a better one? thanks

1 Like

Do you have a handheld z-wave controller (like an Aeotec minimote).

When I moved over from Wink, some z-wave devices were "excluded" by Wink (at least removed from the Wink app), but weren't really excluded. I used the Aeotec minimote to exclude them. The advantage is that you can do it right at the device - so signal strength is not an issue.

I'll bet this would work in this instance too.

BTW, my hard to exclude devices were mostly GoControl (2-3 motion sensors and the same number of contact sensors). And 1 Leviton outlet.

Same here when moving from ST. I spent hours on a few of those devices using a Minimote too.

1 Like

I do not have one of those. I have tried resetting the device about 100 times if not more. I do not like that I can not do a reset. If I did perform a reset would it matter if it was not removed from wink initially? from reading the manual it does not sound like it would.

On to my next switch It is a GE. I need to get the model number. It was discovered by the Hubitat, but is not responsive to the on off commands from the app. the switch works if the buttons are pressed, but not from the hubitat devices...

It shouldn't. I didn't remove any of my devices from ST when I moved them so my ST rules would stay intact. I just either reset or excluded them with the Minimote or HE.

What driver to HE assign to the GE device, and what kind of device is it?

1 Like

it is a GE 12724 z wave switch. the hubitat sees it as GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch.

Device Details

Create Time 2020-05-11 10:08:15 AM CDT
Last Update Time 2020-05-11 10:20:26 AM CDT
Last Activity At 2020-05-11 10:09:49 AM CDT
Data * deviceType: 18770
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x25,0x85,0x59,0x86,0x72,0x55,0x5A,0x73,0x5B,0x9F,0x6C,0x70,0x2C,0x2B,0x22,0x7A
  • deviceId: 12597
  • manufacturer: 99|

Are you SURE it is a 12724? I thought those were all standard zwave (not zwave plus), and your pairing info clearly shows the device is zwave plus...

And does on/off work from the device details page on the hub itself - forget about the app for a minute.

2 Likes

I thought it was it but I might have been wrong. I did finally get both to work. I brought my older wink hub 1 up to the room they are in. with it setting less than 5 feet away I excluded them, then I was able to discover both with hubitiat. right now they both work from the devices.

1 Like

Good deal. Glad you got it resolved.

Sorry I meant it is a 14291. I have been searching different ones and posted the wrong info. sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

No worries. That makes more sense though, based on the inClusters.

On to my next task. I need to make a rule to turn on and off other devices when one of my switches turns on and off. this was easy with wink. I am guessing it is here too. I am going to start researching how to do this. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks

Start with the simple automation app.

Ok thanks. Also this is probably easy, but how do I change the ugly yellow tile color on the dashboard? I can make them always dark, but I want the tiles to be green when the light or switch is on, and dark when it is off. thanks

https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-smartly-v1-06-custom-icons-thermostat-re-design-custom-dashboard-link-labels-and-icons/36681/229

thanks. I also got the automation working it was supper easy here too. thanks again for the help. BTW I love the speed they work at now. with the wink hub there was a 5-10 second delay when turning the lights on or off. there is a 1 second or less delay now. it happens pretty much at the same time. AWESOME!

3 Likes

Hey @scotnemily .... went through the same GoControl hell you describe. Exclude from Wink (I think). Did dozens of resets. No flashing LED to confirm the reset. Dozens of attempts on 3 different devices. Grrrrrrrr. AAAAAaaaaaa. Total frustration.

See my post on the topic: GoControl :: WD500Z-1 dimmer :: Trouble pairing. HowTo configure with HE?

Tried contacting GoControl Support. No response. Won't be buying any more GoControl devices.

Maybe signal is the problem? Bought a 3 pack of the Aeotec range extenders, ZW117-A01 and have them within 10 clear feet of the offending switches. No change. Grrrrrrrr, again.

I came to a frustrated screeching halt.

In the other thread I asked for debugging techniques but Minimote was not mentioned, as @aaiyar suggested. Thank you @aaiyar .... I'll order one today and see if that device helps.

Hey @scotnemily, hope you are making good progress with your installation. Moving from the Wink has not been easy for me, due to the GoControl crap, but most everything else is working flawlessly. Love the local execution speed and reliability. Love not depending on external services. Love the range of devices. Love the active community and good advice.

I am really, really appreciating this community. Looks like folks are really trying to be helpful and there seems to be very little unpleasantness. My thanks to ALL!

And, now Wink wants $4.99 / mo. There's the motivation I need to get the last couple devices moved over HE.

Anyone want a Wink2, cheap? Lightly used. :wink: