GoControl :: WD500Z-1 dimmer :: Trouble pairing. HowTo configure with HE?

It's very important to exclude the device correctly first.
You can shutdown your wink hub and try exclude with the HE hub. Open an extra tab for logging while doing this so you can see the event.
I no long have this switch but didn't have any issue with pairing it.

I have 3 WD500Z-1's that were moved from Vera to Hubitat hub. I remember having to perform multiple attempts to get them paired but once they did I had no issues.

I would try a "RESET" and see if this helps. (I don't recall having this info when I moved them)

To Reset Unit (If Required):
In the event that your primary Controller is lost or otherwise inoperable, to reset the
GoControl Dimmer and clear all network information, follow these steps:

1. Tap the top of the switch five (5) times.

2. Press and hold the bottom of the switch for 15 seconds. The LED will increasingly blink faster to indicate that a Reset is taking place.

Good luck

Hey @toy4rick

Thanks for the suggestion.

There are actually 2 of these devices and both have been working fine in a Wink config for a couple years. Only giving me grief in the cutover to HE. Grrrrrrrrr

LED is lit and it works fine as a manual dimmer. Grrrrrrr, again. So frustrating.

Thanks for you thoughts,
David

Howdy @Navat604

I think the Wink exclude worked OK, cuz they both were no longer visible in the Wink app.

Ya know, I actually have not tried shutting down the Wink. Still have a few things there. Just didn't think about it. Will give that a try. Thank you!

Yeah, me too. They paired easily with the wink a couple years ago.

Good. That is one more thing to try. I was kinda wedged

Appreciated,
David

Thank you @JohnRob

I've given both multiple, no, many tries. But perhaps diligence will pay off. Will try some more reset sequences on them. The light never blinks as the destructions suggest it will during reset.

Sigh

Sure appreciate this community's suggestions and support. Many thanks!!!!

My very best
David

Thinking back some more, I believe I tried pairing using both the top of the switch paddle and the bottom. I don't recall which finally worked or if it mattered.

Any luck? I have 1 that I just tried adding to hubitat and no luck. It used to be on HE but I replaced, and am now trying to add back in a new location.

Here is what I’ve tried.

1. Exclude - single tap, double tap, triple tap - both on and off
  2. Reset the switch - 5 taps on 15 second off hold
  3. Air gap then both #1 and #2

Any other ideas?

I too had issues pairing the WD500Z-1's. My recollection is I tried many times an finally got it. Its been a long time but I think I tried single then double taps to include (maybe even 3 taps)

I also moved the hub to near the switch.

When I finally got them (have 3) paired they have been working fine, maybe a year or so.

Not yet. I can only tolerate the frustration for about 10 attempts without using a 3 lb adjuster. Then, set it aside until the frustration ebbs. Usually takes a couple week. Damn things!

That's about the same process I've been trying.

Sure makes me wonder. They set up sooooo easily with Wink a few years ago. Makes me suspect the reset isn't working. The destructions say the LED will be flashing during the reset process. I've never seen the damned LED blink at all.

Sorry, no other ideas. I'm going to go through it one last barrage of attempts before crushing the damn things.

Good luck!

Thank you, @JohnRob

I added Aeotec Range Extender 6, one of which is 8 feet from the 2 switches. Same behaviors. Same results. Grrrrrrr

David

I'm not a range extender expert but I would try with the rang extender unplugged and any other potential transmitters off line.

John

So I got it. Here is what I learned along the way.

1. These don’t exclude well with HE. I had this paired removed it but it never excluded.
  2. Too exclude - it is a double tap either up or down. But that didn’t work with HE. I had to use a GE Z-WAVE remote to exclude it. Once excluded it included the first try.
  3. Include is a single tap. I did move the hub closer as well.
  4. The factory reset 5 taps up and then hold down for 15 seconds does nothing.

It's been awhile .......

Very frustrating effort, so again set it aside for a couple months. Trying different suggestions over and over with variations and no luck. Felt obligated to finish the story for those who follow.

The "factory reset" sequence in the documentation simply DOES NOT WORK. I expect it to be an "out of the box" experience after a factory reset. After, many, many attempts, the LEDs never flashed, so assume the reset never really happened. To recap ... 5 taps of the top, hold bottom for 15 seconds, LED will blink ... did not work on 3 units.

Finally got them paired. Appears the initial Wink exclude did not actually exclude. The attempts to HE exclude seems to have had no effect. Got the Wink hub out of storage in the garage, fired it up, and did an exclude. Then HE was able to include the devices. They now work as expected.

This was a massively frustrating experience over months of isolated efforts. And, to find that I HAD to exclude from Wink was maddening. Why the hell didn't a "factory reset" actually do so?

Was it unrealistic to think an HE exclude would accomplish unpairing from the Wink hub? Is this normal Zwave behavior? Would be good to know for future efforts.

Want to thank this community! You guys kept giving suggestions that helped motivate me to keep at it. Not finding the reference, but someone here suggested trying exclude with Wink again, which was the magic. @Navat604, @JohnRob, @markisrael, @bcopeland, @njanda, @toy4rick .... my sincere thanks!

David

3 Likes

I had the same issue. I was unable to exclude my dimmer (same model) from my C3 hub, so that I could pair it to my C7 hub. Nothing worked. I ended up trying to see if there was anything I could do with my Z-Stick. So, I paired my Z-Stick with the C3 hub, then used the z-stick to perform a network wide exclusion, after tapping the dimmer, within a few seconds it was excluded! I was then able to pair it to my C7 hub.

Long story short, get a Z-Stick, and keep it handy. It will enable you to do things that may not work on the hub.

I was able to use a Aeotec MiniMote to exclude the Go Linear from the network, that then allowed it to be recognized by Hubitat during pairing. However, after it is recognized and I save a name to the network it never seems to initalize correctly. I.e. it shows up as a device, but not configured as zwve dimmer/switch and even after I manually set and press configure, can never get it to work. Tried this 3 or 4 times now, no luck.

Nevermind...i tried it a 5th time and it worked. I guess persistence is the key.

Thank you, @armand.

Any pointers on using the Z-stick? What SW do you use? Or, do can you manipulate the dimmer via Hubitat + Z-Stick?

Reference: Z-Wave command class configuration tool download. : Aeotec Help Desk
Software: Z-Wave PC Controller
Source: Simplicity Studio - Silicon Labs

You must now download Simplicity Studio, and use that to install Z-Wave PC Controller.
Bonus Points: Even though we have to jump through hoops now, the software is now available for Windows, Linux, and Mac... However, the PC Controller only works in windows, so download the windows version.

It will ask you to request access to the Z-Wave Homekit Bridge... Skip that one, you don't need it. Just install what you need (Z-Wave PC Controller, and maybe Z-Wave Zniffer).

Once install, you can run the PC Controller software, by running Simplicity Studio, then selecting "Tools" from the tool bar, and choosing the Z-Wave PC Controller . To use it, you will need to:

1. select the Gear and choose your Z-Stick (on Windows it will be on a COM port).
  2. choose Network Management
  3. choose NWE button
  4. begin z-wave exclusion on the dimmer

You don't have to pair the z-stick to anything for perform a network wide exclusion. Once completed, you can now pair to HE.

1 Like

FWIW I just moved two WD500Z-1 dimmers from my C4 to C7. These dimmers have always been finicky (other terms apply as well :slight_smile: ).

I did however have good luck with this move. My notes on the move are:

Move from C4 to C7

1. with ZStick S2; tap top and bottom once. Only need to tap one of them but we don't know which so we do both.
  2. now dimmer is excluded
  3. simply include to C7; tap top and bottom once. Only need to tap one of them but we don't know which so we do both.

Worked reliably with 2nd dimmer.