Thinking about switching from Wink

On to my next task. I need to make a rule to turn on and off other devices when one of my switches turns on and off. this was easy with wink. I am guessing it is here too. I am going to start researching how to do this. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks

Start with the simple automation app.

Ok thanks. Also this is probably easy, but how do I change the ugly yellow tile color on the dashboard? I can make them always dark, but I want the tiles to be green when the light or switch is on, and dark when it is off. thanks

https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-smartly-v1-06-custom-icons-thermostat-re-design-custom-dashboard-link-labels-and-icons/36681/229

thanks. I also got the automation working it was supper easy here too. thanks again for the help. BTW I love the speed they work at now. with the wink hub there was a 5-10 second delay when turning the lights on or off. there is a 1 second or less delay now. it happens pretty much at the same time. AWESOME!

3 Likes

Hey @scotnemily .... went through the same GoControl hell you describe. Exclude from Wink (I think). Did dozens of resets. No flashing LED to confirm the reset. Dozens of attempts on 3 different devices. Grrrrrrrr. AAAAAaaaaaa. Total frustration.

See my post on the topic: GoControl :: WD500Z-1 dimmer :: Trouble pairing. HowTo configure with HE?

Tried contacting GoControl Support. No response. Won't be buying any more GoControl devices.

Maybe signal is the problem? Bought a 3 pack of the Aeotec range extenders, ZW117-A01 and have them within 10 clear feet of the offending switches. No change. Grrrrrrrr, again.

I came to a frustrated screeching halt.

In the other thread I asked for debugging techniques but Minimote was not mentioned, as @aaiyar suggested. Thank you @aaiyar .... I'll order one today and see if that device helps.

Hey @scotnemily, hope you are making good progress with your installation. Moving from the Wink has not been easy for me, due to the GoControl crap, but most everything else is working flawlessly. Love the local execution speed and reliability. Love not depending on external services. Love the range of devices. Love the active community and good advice.

I am really, really appreciating this community. Looks like folks are really trying to be helpful and there seems to be very little unpleasantness. My thanks to ALL!

And, now Wink wants $4.99 / mo. There's the motivation I need to get the last couple devices moved over HE.

Anyone want a Wink2, cheap? Lightly used. :wink:

I think I have 4 lights left to switch over 2 plugins, my Z-Wave relay, and one GE switch. I got my front door lock working. A few more issues. For my basement lights, they are only turning on and off from the app, not if I press the switch. Also when they turn on they are about 75% brightness level even though they show 100% in the devices.

Could you describe this in more detail? What kind of bulbs? And what kind of switch?

1 Like

The bulbs are 2 Ge zigbee bulbs and 2 of the osram zigbee bulbs. They are both dim-able. They both work fine from the app except the not coming back on at 100% brightness. The switch they are working with is that go control switch. Which is also working from the app. And it does control the hardwired light that is directly connected to it. It does not control the 4 basement lights 2 ge and 2 osram when pressing the physical switch

Ah. Can you post a screen shot of the automation you are using for this?

I just changed it to also set level at 100% but have not tried it yet

That looks right and should do what you want.

What level do the device pages for each of the bulbs show when the automation is run?

Edit:
@scotnemily - you may also wish to create a bulb group for these 4 bulbs (and use the group device in your automation).

Ok I will try to make a group. Another thing, how do I set the life360 connector to unlock my door when I enter an area? I am not finding a way to do this under the apps

I don't use the life360 connector. But if it is a presence sensor, you would do it based on the sensor being "Present" or "Not Present". I don't know if SA permits that, but RM definitely does.

Sorry I am not sure what SA or RM is. :slight_smile:

lol ok figured it out :slight_smile:

Life360 is treated as a presence sensor, just like the built in presence in the apps.

We use Life360

1 Like

seems I also don't see how to make a group. I am sure I will find it though

never mind I found it

1 Like

Here is a simple automation(SA) rule using Life360 presence

RM is Rule Machine

1 Like

If you have trouble finding a minimote then a Z-Stick works nicely as well..

Plus you can can pair it with HE as a secondary controller and use it to get rid of "ghost devices" if that ever occurs..

4 Likes