Thinking about switching from Wink

Like it was stated before. Rome wasn't built in a day. That holds so true with your environment. I stressed over my locks for weeks before I got them fixed. It was like the miracle worker when I placed the repeaters in the right spot. The light shined down, I heard violins play an "aaaaaahhhhhhhh" and zen was achieved. It sucks and it's exciting to try a new platform. I totally agree that letting it settle for a bit will only benefit you. Also think about that repeater.
:wink:

Oh yea, if you haven't done a Zwave repair, do it now!

Settings tab, Zwave Details, Repair.

1 Like

He can't get them anyway. Or at least not in high quantity.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I recently got another Hub and started moving things from the Hub where they had worked for years, to the new one. I ran into all these issues, again. I have two Yale locks and a Garage Door Opener that I intend to move to the new Hub. I can tell you that moving the Yale's back to their old Hub works faster/better than moving to the new Hub.

All of them are on the new hub now, but I had to experiment with picking device to move over to create the new mesh without obliterating the old mesh.

2 Likes

I will definitely look at getting something to help. I am also looking for some good temp sensors. Are there any that have beaming? And so far even though I have had some issues, I would never consider going back to wink even if it was free and hubitat charged $5 per month. I see the power of this system and the help of the community.

1 Like

Wanna bet!
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I'm going to refer everyone that has problems with these to you
Please fill out the following form
Name:
Daytime Phone:
Nighttime phone:
Address:
Next of kin to harass when you refuse to answer your phone:

:rofl:
I'm just going to say "know what you're getting into with them"

1 Like

When I started with the new Hub I mentioned, of course the first thing was the Mesh. I KNEW what to do.. too bad the mesh didn't understand my reasoning!! I have an Aeon SmartSwitch 6 roughly 18" from one of the Yales.. it would see the Exclude, ignore the include. The Aeon is a beaming repeater... really, it's got little else to do in this world :smiley: I moved the GDO over, and even though it's 25 ft away, THAT's the repeater that works for the locks.

2 Likes

Just temperature? Any other features like motion that you might use?

I am open. I wanted cheap. I noticed the firefighter smoke detector sensor had temp built in. I would like to put a few temp sensors through the house mostly one in the basement and one on the 2nd floor. I am open to having more features and maybe more sensors.

Oh and a funny smart device purchase story... for my kwikset lock the price was close to $200 when I was looking at buying it. Then one popped up on amazon. Used like new condition. $40. When I checked to see why it was so cheap, it said it was missing the battery holder, but was never installed or used. I contacted kwikset and Told them I bought one and lost my battery holder and wanted to buy a replacement. They said no reason to buy one and sent me one for free. Even free shipping and handling. I then bought the lock for $40 instead of $200. One of the best deals I have gotten buying these smart devices...

3 Likes

Line powered temp sensors will be tough. I am trying to think of one.

The closest might be the HSM200 Homeseer, and it is supposedly a repeater.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1254/embedpics

You know that Button you use for your basement? You can eliminate/combine those needs with a well chosen Motion Sensor. The Aeon MultiSensor 6 or it's smaller brother the Aeon TriSensor do well. ZWave wake times are longer than Zigbee so any Zigbee motion sensor will be noticeably faster. The Aeon MultiSensor 6 has an option for permanent mounting and will run off USB power. You mentioned a door for going down into the basement.. the delay the Door addds to your forward momentum probably means the Zigbee advantage is small.

1 Like

Nice. Hope the lock joins alright too.

So you were saying use a motion sensor instead of a light switch? I guess that might work ok sometimes, but I know there are times I go down in the dark and don’t want the lights to come on. I have thought about motion sensors in other rooms to turn on lights but again for the same reason, a lot of times I don’t want a light to come on when I go in a room.

So would that HomeSeer HSM200 work as a Beamer for my lock?

Homeseer claims yes on that webpage I linked, and the compliance statement says yes, but I don't have any personal experience.

They are really expensive though. Crazy. You could buy 2 of most other device for that almost $60 (plus shipping).

Ok I guess I am going to have to get a beaming device. I thought I was going to do it anyway, but I was hoping after doing a zwave repair and making my geofence larger that it would not be necessary. I left the house this morning to get breakfast and when I came back the door still did not unlock. So just to make sure I get the right thing. I should order a 2 pack of Aeotec Range Extender 6? I might need more than 1 and the 2 pack is cheaper per device. thanks

one other thing, I am trying to add the echo speakers ability to my hubitat, but I am at the point I have to click +Add User App. I only have the built-in app option though. how do I get to the +Add User App?

I think it is an error form importing the code. I see I am getting this error.
Metadata Error: Parent App 'tonesto7:Echo Speaks' not found on line 23.
My bad I got it now....

2 Likes

I just ordered a 2 pack of those Aeotec Range Extender 6. hopefully that helps

1 Like