Thermostat not displaying correct "operating state"

You also have your profile hidden and I canโ€™t private message you

fixed.

1 Like

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I will look where you said in a minute. They just pushed out an update and my hub is rebooting.

33 posts later and it finally understood that "gets hot fast" meant the furnace is actually heating while the state says "pending heat"

1 Like

What is "it" may I ask?

In post #6 before you even joined the conversation. So, thanks for finally catching up.

1 Like

Here it is, I raised it from 60 until I could feel hot air at the vent then back down.

Wait...you didn't let it finish it's cycle? How do you know that you didn't cut it off early? I'm sorry but manipulating this isn't going to prove your point.

Update: That said, I don't know if pending heat is what we have thought it was the whole time. Because I see mine go from idle to heating to pending heat to idle again. So, who knows.

The exact opposite of what i would have thought. But I am using a custom driver. I've switched back to the generic and we'll see what happens.

Adding more data: what I saw with my Zen Thermostat was "idle" (nothing running) to "pending heat" (furnace starts warming up but fan not running) to "heating" (blower running with heat...and, as far as I can tell, the last few minutes where it turns off the heat but keeps the fan on to dissipate what remains), then back to "idle." And not that anyone is talking about this, but it could also report "fan only" if I manually switched the fan to "on" (always on) instead of "auto" (only on when heating or cooling). My Powerley Thermostat only reports "idle" and "heating" (including both the true heading stage and what was "pending heat" on the Zen) on the same furnace, but I'm not sure if that's because the thermostat itself doesn't report a difference or the Generic Z-Wave Thermostat driver I'm using just doesn't parse that message (Hubitat has never tested this device; I just told them the basic functions work with the driver). "Fan only" behaves the same as the Zen.

I have never seen "pending heat" and the end of a cycle, but I guess some thermostats might report something that gets parsed that way when it's done actively heating and just continues to run the fan for a few minutes (what I mentioned my Zen did but still reporting "heating").

So while it obviously depends on what the driver does, part of this depends on what the thermostat itself reports. I always thought my Zen was the ideal and my Powerley was just a bit odd for not differentiating "real" from "pending," but apparently there are even more odd behaviors out there (but who knows on which side the behavior lies--except staff if they could test one, or perhaps see the debug logs as the different states really happen).

Hi, is this a Pearl thermostat you are referring to? If so what parameter are you referring to for "convectional/heat only"?

In my Pearl I only have the two below parameters regarding heat type. Perhaps I have old firmware.

|2| Heat Type 0 - Non Heat pump(default), 1- Heat Pump|
|3| Heat source 0 โ€“ Electric , 1 - Gas(default)|

Thanks
John

That's exactly what I was thinking. My understanding of how it is "supposed" to work is exactly how yours works. But even after switching to the Generic Z-wave thermostat driver i still see a pending heat at the end of the heating cycle. image

And it actually stays that way for 5 minutes too. Which is even odder.

Not convectional.

Thank you mr spellcheck

Conventional as in Forces air....not electric. Not a heat pump. As in gas furnace. That's what is considered "conventional" heat in the US.

1 Like

When I had my 2 Centralite Pearl thermostats installed for a short period of time, I too noticed that my dashboard would show "Pending Heat" when each thermostat was actively calling for heat. I have a boiler with baseboard heat and 2 zones controlled by separate thermostats. Fan is only used for AC and heat is either on or off as called for by each thermostat when in Heat mode.

If I recall correctly, this occurred when using the generic Zigbee thermostat driver. If I switched to the community driver found here, my dashboard would display "Heating" as expected.

I have 2 KONOz thermostats that should be arriving today. Once I get them installed, I'll do my best to report back what my dashboard displays when the t-stats call for heat.

Thanks! I'll give that driver a look when I get back home.

I just finished installing my 2 new KONOz thermostats. Both properly report "Heating" when heat is called for and the heat is on.

Was there ever a solution for this? My Zen thermostat only reports idle and pending heat. Thanks

Mine does the same. Itโ€™s the way the status values it reports are mapped to names in the driver. I think it might be because itโ€™s not configured for two-stage heating like seems to be common in the US.