Thermostat not displaying correct "operating state"

I'm using a Centralite Pearl thermostat with the Generic Zigbee Thermostat handler to control my pellet stove. I happened to look yesterday (remotely) at my dashboard (attached screenshot) and instead of saying "Heating", it says "pending heat". I waited until I got home to verify it actually was heating and it was.

It seems like a recent change somewhere has caused this issue and I'm just now seeing it. It actually put me in a panic at first. I'm almost certain it read "Heating" before. Maybe I'm just crazy.
-Joel

Take Dashboard out of the picture for a second: does the device page itself (under Devices on the left, then click into the page for your thermostat) show the same information? It's quite likely that it does--Dashboard should just receive and display this information. But knowing where the issue is would help determine whether there's a device/driver or app/Dashboard problem.

Hey Robert, good question. I set both thermostats to come on for heat (both Pearl's) and checked their device pages. I'm seeing the same modes there as well. Any Ideas? Thanks, -Joel

device-1

Mode is boxed in Red. Operating State in Blue. You're looking at the operating state, the mode is in between the buttons.

When the operating state changes to Heating, the tile will say heating for the operating state.

Thanks Ryan, operating state is what I was after (my first clue is in my own picture). I updated the thread title.... :no_mouth:

Yes it is. Your operating state is pending heat. That's why it's displaying pending heat.

There is nothing wrong with the dashboard.
This:

Matches this:

So, the dashboard is fine.

Also, you can only say this is the wrong state for your thermostat if it is actively heating while displaying Pending Heat. Usually pending heat means that it is not actively heating but will soon.

Thanks again Ryan, getting the verbiage is important. But I am pretty sure it was displaying the correct state not that long ago.

I know @mike.maxwell wrote the handler/driver and used to have the Pearl, I'm just wondering if this is the expected behavior.
-Joel

Just to clarify - is the thermostat actively calling for heat while displaying "pending heat"? If it is, there's something wrong.

My Pearl has always shown "pending Heat" for heating. There was a post about a week ago on this subject. @mike.maxwell mentioned the pending heat phase was for a fan coming on before the actual heat started (or something like that). My system is boiler --> hot water and we have no fan.

I didn't follow through on that topic as the system works and the "pending" is not so much of a bother that it would draw me away from other things I am working with my Hubitat,

Yes, and to be clear both furnaces are heating when they are called to (so that's good). Thanks!

My Go Control shows Pending Heat when heat is pending and Heating when it's heating. So, it is just a matter of having the driver parse it correctly. If the centrallite isn't displaying it correctly, then there needs to be something done with the driver.

@JohnRob, so you have a link to that other thread?

This happens occasionally with the Zen Thermostat driver as well, really screws up rule machine automations when you have the rule say "If temp is (X) and thermostat state is (heating) set thermostat to (off)." If it states "pending heat" the rule doesn't run and the house gets hot fast!

You can fix that by saying if temp X and thermostat state not idle. But this would be better handled by looking at the thermostat mode, rather than the operating state.
If them is X and mode is heat. That would mean the stat wouldn't have to actually come on to fix it.

1 Like

Maybe if you split the rule up to not control air conditioning as well, but one rule runs everything and all modes. However there is never any mode "pending" heat/cool ever set.

Exactly my point. You can go off the mode of Heat Cool or Off. Take the operating state out of the equation.

I must have missed that post. My pellet stove is a simple 2-wire install and has a built-in fan it controls. My furnace has an induction motor that does start up just prior to heating, but once it is heating it seems like the operating state should change then. -Joel

Or the driver could just operate as it is supposed to, that would be much better

1 Like

Given. But since you can't control the driver, you can either have a rule that works or doesn't. The driver is what it is....there's nothing anyone but Mike can do to change it. So, I guess if you want to stand on principal, stick with your bad rule in a hot room.

The rule does work, and works flawlessly when the driver works as it is supposed to

When the driver works as you think it is supposed to... If you don’t like how a driver works.. Write your own..