Thermostat not displaying correct "operating state"

The only person that "thinks" things is yourself......but thanks for your soothing insight!

1 Like

Eddie!!! Eddie!!!! Sweetie. LMAO. My Gravatar is Patsy Stone. hehe

1 Like

Afaik any existing drivers that had this issue should be fixed.
There could be something up with the new T6 pro driver, other than that if thats not the case let me know.

@Ryan780.,

Its in the beta section which I don't know if you can access. If not here is the essence of this part of the thread..

I'm using the Generic Zigbee Thermostat driver with a Pearl thermostat.
My system has no fan and with only 3 wires I don't think any fan info could get back to the thermostat (at least in my system).

When heating the device page and the dashboard display shows "pending heat" However of me its not a big deal as I understand the current message.

John

So, right there, it states the exact same thing I did. Pending heat means that heat is called for but hasn't been started yet. If it is displaying pending heat in the edit device page when the burner and the fans are on, then there's an issue. Not just the blower, but the burner. Because I frequently see this...the heat is on, I hear it go into "evac" where it blows for a few seconds at the end of the cycle, i turn the temp up but the furnace cannot go right back into heating. It has to shut down, at this point, the thermostat is in Pending Heat. Until the stat reports that the heat is actually on, it will stay in pending heat. Because the heat cycle is still pending. As in, it hasn't run yet.

On mine, "heat" as opposed to "pending heat" is never displayed. My furnace starts up similar to what you explained, however in my system there is no way for the thermostat to know the state of the burner, even if it were locked out and could never come on, the thermostat would never know.

John

1 Like

Surely you mean "Edie".

As an aside, I've met Nadia Sawalha and Julia Sawalha (she plays Edina's daughter) before they entered the acting trade ....

2 Likes

I don't think I've ever had occasion to read it...so I wouldn't have known.

1 Like

Yep, same here. Like I stated earlier, my pellet stove is only 2-wires and a simple switch can control it. I understand now that "pending heat" is to be interpreted to mean "heat". I just don't remember it displaying that at an earlier time. It also displayed correctly prior to me leaving the ST camp. -Joel

You have a centrallite controlling a pellet stove? How do you have have the heat zone configured? Conventional or heat pump? Gas or Electric? Because I would not expect you to get this for a pellet stove. You should have it configured the same way you would for electric heat.

In the thermostat hidden settings its configured, conventional/heat only. Otherwise the same as my forced air furnace. Still the same as when I had it on my ST hub. Just removed it from there and added it to HE.

But it's not a forced air furnace. It's a pellet stove. You don't have a fan wire. It's basically Electric Heat to the thermostat. That's why it's not working correctly! You don't have a blower as far as the thermostat is concerned unless you have a fan wire for the thermostat to control.

I don't know about that, it was displaying correctly in the past. Let's forget that stove for now and switch to my forced air furnace. Why is my (and some others) forced air furnaces not displaying Heat" in the heating cycle?

I understand perfectly what you wrote above about the system in evac mode. I can create this condition if I turn the stat up, down then up again. But that's not what is happening. From a cold start, the furnace goes to evac then to full heat but never changes the state to heat.

it won't be heat. It will be heating. Can you show your events listing from the edit device page? You're saying it goes directly from idle to pending heat to idle again?

Yes, I meant to say heating. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for. This is when I turned up the thermostat to get the screen shot for the first pic.

BTW, I will change the pellet stove to "electric" in the settings when I get a chance. It needs to be in the "off" state and it's currently in use (thanks for the heads up).

If you go into the edit device page, there is a button at the top labeled events. If you go into that, you will be able to see all the changes for the different attributes. It is much easier to look at that than a log if you're just looking to see what happened to operating state.

This is a perfect example. Your thermostat is pending heat.

You chagne the setpoint to 60,

so it goes to itdle, canceling the heating cycle.

That is exactly what should happen. What i asked was, are you seeing that the thermostat is reporting pending heat when the blower and the burner are on?

Patsy is my idol :grin:

1 Like