The Noob's (in)complete guide to CSS for Hubitat

Thanks a lot. This worked out great.

1 Like

I thoroughly scoured this long topic for clues, but see no indication or mention of using @import as a means of importing CSS into Hubitat Dashboards. Is it possible?

I'm well versed in editing the CSS panel in HE DB, but lately have wondered whether that same (internal) block could be saved off into an (external, stored locally on the hub) .css stylesheet, leaving just the @import statement for reference.

Has anyone successfully done this? Is this madness to suggest??

From installation instructions for my CSS editor, paste something like this into the CSS section of the dashboard settings

@import url("http://<<HE-Hub-IP>>/local/<<Dashboard-Name>>.css");

1 Like

Thanks, I need to give that a serious re-read. It had been six months or so. But I had since heard a suggestion that the @import wasn't working for some users when they attempted it. On the strength of your assurance, I'll give it another look. :slight_smile:

You may need to consider alternatives if using cloud versions of your dashboard, I would not expect it to work there with the kind of url I provided, you would need a cloud accessible url in that case.

1 Like

Seems likely that the underlying issue (post 746) is the one identified previously: While there is a Template named “Shade” that can be selected when editing a tile (and its associated colors can be modified using Template Color Editor), the Layout tab JSON refers to Template “Shades” - not “Shade”!!! The result is that you can edit colors for Template “Shade” as you wish, but the dashboard tiles follow some user-inaccessible Template “Shades”.
This was reported in Dashboard Templates - where are they? Can they be modified? References in Layout window - #5 by user2424.

Perhaps identifying Chad’s issue (post 746 above) will motivate corrective action? While I understand there are likely CSS-based means to overcome this, the obvious disconnect in the basic tools should be addressed. Thank you!

3 Likes

Need help, I am bad at CSS

I have a standard button tile with the standard button icon. Tile ID is 7. The icon seems to be in "tile-primary". I want to remove the icon, replace it with the text "GO", with fond size 24 and centered in the tile.

I got started by using the following:

#tile-7 .tile-primary:before { content: hidden; !important }

#tile-7 .tile-primary:after { content: GO }

With the current result:

So, the button icon is still visible (which I don't want), and I am not sure what I need to add to change the font details..

1 Like

Try something like this:

#tile-xx .tile-primary .material-icons {  visibility: hidden; }
#tile-xx .tile-primary::after { content: "GO" }
2 Likes

Boy, this is from a long time go! @BrianP graciously helped me figure out how to vertically center text on a Link tile or a Text tile. Now I’m trying to do the same with a Hub Variable tile. Can’t get it to work.

Here’s the CSS @BrianP helped me with last time that I’m now trying to translate for Hub Variables. Any ideas? For bonus,I’m also trying to append unit-of-measure text to a hub variable. TIA!

/* vertically center Link and Dashboard tiles */
.link .tile-contents {
padding: 0;
display: table;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
}
.dashboard .tile-contents {
}

Can you share the css that gives it a true button look and feel?

@mluck

For a Variable Number tile, it should be:

.variable-number .tile-contents {
}

Variable Boolean is similar, using .variable-bool, and Variable Date uses .variable-date, Variable Decimal uses .variable-decimal, and Variable Time uses .variable-time in the CSS selection.

It looks to be different for a Variable String tile. This won't work for that. Try right-clicking the tile and choosing "Examine" or "Inspect" on the element. Maybe then you can find the correct CSS selector to make this work. It might be something like .variable-string .items-center or .variable-string .justify-center instead of .variable-string .tile-contents.

Good luck!

1 Like

Appreciate the ideas @BrianP!

I always struggle finding the correct selector from inspect. Take this variable-string tile as an example. When I expect, I see this (below). Where do I look (and how far up the hierarchy do I look) to try to find the correct version of .variable-string, because .variable-string doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: I noticed in the Inspect view that was a little info note that said, "The display-table property prevents justify-content from having an effect. Try setting display to something other than table." What are the other options?

You might try adding an exclamation point to force display table... Maybe for the other styles also, removing the exclamation points one at a time if that works until it breaks again.

The CSS selector with .variable-string .text-center will select an element with the class .text-center that is also contained within an element with the class .variable-string. You could also use .text-center as the CSS selector, but that would also modify any element with that class regardless if it overlaps with a .variable-string element or not.

You're looking at the correct divs, starting with tile-48, including the next two divs. You want to pick a class in one of those divs to use in the CSS selector. I'd use text-center, justify-center, or items-center, since the other classes (i.e. flex, flex-col, etc) seem to be less specific.

Hi @mluck - Cannot promise you I can help you, but for us visual folks would you mind posting a picture of the tile you are speaking of and identifying the item you are trying to center?

I appreciate the question. Here's one (er, two) of many examples where I'm using a tile on a dashboard to show a hub variable. This particular use-case is tracking whether the dogs have been fed by my oh-so-irresponsible teenagers ;). Note how I can't get the text to vertically center no matter what I try.

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 12.46.52 PM

I figured out the mystery of vertically centering string variables. With @BrianP's awesome help, the CSS below works, but only if you use "display: none" rather than "visibility: hidden" when hiding the tile name text at the bottom of the cell. I have no idea why this is required, but I just tried everything I could think of and this was the combo that worked. Hope this helps the next person.

.variable-number .justify-center {
}

2 Likes

Curious if anyone has cracked the code on manipulating an inbox box like @markbellkosel84's example above? Like him, I'd like to change the size, but I'd also like to keep the input box horizontally centered in the tile when it's interacted with. Every time I try to change the value in an inbox (even a value with one or two characters), it scrolls off the left edge of the tile, rendering the input box useless.

If you want the text input box bigger, I might use something like this:

.variable-string .justify-center input.text-black.outline-none {
    font-size: 2rem !important;
}

Since the input box has font-size: 1rem; coded in the HTML instead of in the CSS, you need to use !important.

1 Like

Hmmm this didn’t change the size or position of the input box.

I only tried this in Firefox, where it worked fine on the input box.

If you wanted to change the text that appears before clicking to get the input box, it would also be something like:

.variable-string div.flex.flex-col.w-full.text-center.h-full div.flex.flex-grow.w-full.justify-center.items-center {
}

If I put both of those in,. I got a larger text size, and a larger input box after clicking the text. For example, default:

With custom CSS:

.variable-string .justify-center input.text-black.outline-none {
}
.variable-string div.flex.flex-col.w-full.text-center.h-full div.flex.flex-grow.w-full.justify-center.items-center {
}

You can also make that first bit of CSS more specific, but what I included got the job done.