The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

I started my order as soon as I heard the words “available now”.

5 Likes

Yes.. It will actually shut off on it's own if unused.

5 Likes

Ethernet will always be more reliable than a WiFi connection..

6 Likes

Same dimensions but don't run without antennas. The only internal antenna is the wifi antenna

Good. I'm going to put a tab of velcro on it anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, because they are saved on the devices and not the hub!

Agreed, my hub typically runs at less than 0.1 load average, and I have only once seen free memory go below 100mb, at which point it was still working fine. I am running Echo Speaks and both Homebridge (user) and Homekit (Hubitat) integrations, among other things.

I have seen some very badly coded community apps and drivers which in some cases can wreak havoc on the hub in a very short time.

1 Like

Mine went down to 80 and still ran fine but that was during beta of the platform. I haven't had it go down to that level since then.

Is the C8 Thread compatible?

I believe somewhere it was determined that the Zigbee chip being used is thread capable, but they do not have anything in the firmware for it (yet?). I could be wrong here, not a zigbee chip expert.

I think it was in the live stream they said the hub will support Matter at some point, but Matter can run on different layers including Wifi.

I think we are just going to have to wait and see how the Matter support shakes out.

There is a nice little infographic in this article that I found to refresh my memory on the networking layers and how Matter and Thread can work together. What is Matter?  |  Google Home Developers

1 Like

Read all the details:

1 Like

My name is Steve and I am an Hubitat-oholic.... :woozy_face:

8 Likes

Hi Steve!

6 Likes

Just curious and maybe I missed it somewhere... But can the WiFi be set as redundant to the Ethernet? I just had a case lately where it seemed like my primary C-5 was dropping out but it turns out it might have been the network switch it is on. WiFi from all my access points would have left it accessible via a different IP at least.

They said on the live stream that using an Ethernet connection would automatically disable the WiFi chip... I wonder if the Hub Information driver by @thebearmay would be able to see/control the WiFi chip, so you could have a rule to enable it and wirelessly connect should an issue occur with the Ethernet connection...?

You can have both running. Its is not a failover, they would both be connected. I am not sure what impact that will have or how things will decide what route to take. I had both connected for a short time while testing the Wifi on boarding, switched to Wifi only, then back to ethernet and disconnected the Wifi. I think the Wifi only shuts itself off once there is ethernet IF its not configured to connect to an AP.

If there are endpoints to enabled/disable the Wifi a driver or app could certainly be made to turn it on as a failover.

1 Like

lol, I’m still dithering …. We’ve got a big interstate holiday coming up in a few weeks and the MoF is watching our spending like a Hawk! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

annie GIF

4 Likes

I bought my first (of 2) C-5 hubs in 2019, so I reckon it’s time for an upgrade.

4 Likes

I bought a 3rd c7 only a few months ago, I suspect my wife still doesn’t know about that one. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ima gonna PM her about it now... :rofl:

5 Likes