The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

Can the wifi in the hub communicate with a wifi device, like by Kasa, directly? That is, if the modem and main wifi router were down?

No. It's simply for lan connection. It does not connect directly to end devices. You would still need a router for that.

2 Likes

Hey now... that is a feature request to have the C-8 offer it's WiFi if it has a wired connection also. That way all my IOT WiFi devices can be connected directly to the C-8. I am sure Hubitat would love that request and it would be super easy to implement.

:grin:

2 Likes

If you haven't seen the Disney commercial for this screen capture, it's classic!!!

3 Likes

If she's like my wife, she can see through walls and hear a hub drop (on the front porch) from 200 yards away. :wink:

I think we should all pitch in and buy you one just to reward you for your patience. :smiley:

4 Likes

How come you have her personal contact details... ? :wink: And why would you have any more sway than Derek...?

2 Likes

Doesn’t everyone? :rofl:

7 Likes

zack morris wink GIF

3 Likes

Ah.... Outsourcing... a common IT response to problems such as these....

5 Likes

It was under 2! New record!

1 Like

I was up all night looking for details on the C-9. Why is Hubitat hiding this information from all of us!?

Feels very suspicious...

3 Likes

It's here! Time to start switching things over! :green_heart::black_heart:

5 Likes

Is it me or is that bottom aerial a bit wonky :wink:

1 Like

Makes sense, but I wouldn’t buy a $2000 smart TV just to have a ‘free’ $100 hub. But that’s where the technology is headed.

1 Like

Dumb question time. I will assume one antenna is Z-Wave and the other is Zigbee - is that correct? If so, anyone know which is which?

1 Like

Correct

The one closest to the USB-C plug is z-wave. The other is zigbee.

2 Likes

The supplied units are dual mode antennas tho, so it doesn’t matter which one you use where.

2 Likes

But if you want to change the antennas to higher gain, then it does matter which one you use where

2 Likes

Definitely.

There is a trade-off between gain and directionality. If you know exactly where you want to point your signal, or your devices are all nicely level in one plane, then use the highest gain antennas. But most people would have devices up on the ceiling, some at chest level, and others at wall plug level. Change it to a high gain antenna and most of those devices will lose signal.

If you look carefully in the antenna specs, they are fully omnidirectional per the apple chart:

The thing you might want to find instead is an antenna that is more efficient. Also, if you did find a 100% efficient one, your power output would be double, which might overload the more sensitive 900MHz and 2.4GHz devices you have that are too close. Note that gain and power are two different things in antennas.

Further reading: Can an antenna be too powerful for certain receivers? - Amateur Radio Stack Exchange