The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

If you really wanted to be cheap, you could just subscribe for a month and cancel the sub when your migration is done.

Or you could keep the sub and enjoy the extra warranty and enhanced backup.

Why not have both? Leave your cloud/lan integrations on the c7 and run everything else on the c8.

1 Like

Hub Protect subscription is for one year, so this won't work. For migration to C-8, it's free.

4 Likes

Exactly! Not sharing, no way! :wink:

2 Likes

Depends on your needs. Here are the major changes:

1. 800-series zwave radio
  2. Mighty Gecko zigbee/Thread radio
  3. External antennas for both these radios
  4. Built-in WiFi
  5. The capacity to backup/restore both radios to a new hub.

Of these, 2, 3, and 5 matter the most to me.

4 Likes

What’s the CPU and memory on C-8? The older platform suffer performance issue when I have 80 devices am with rules and WebCoRE.

I really hope C-8 has better performance and not hang due to more apps and rules running.

1 Like

That’s not good enough. It’s the main CPU and not enough memory that would hang the hub when you could have lots of apps and rules running. I don’t have good feeling about C-8.

Apparently unchanged.

If you are running into issues with a c7, just add a second hub. I moved most of my 3rd party cloud and lan integrations to a second c7 and it was well worth it.

2 Likes

THIS !!!!!! I have been waiting over a year for this!!!!!!

1 Like

For a dummy like me, what does zigbee 3.0 get us?

I thought the C7 was already Zigbee v3?

No, C-7 isn't.

nope

Mesh is way better for 1.

Zigbee 3.0 is the unification of Zigbee application standards

• Zigbee 3.0 defines the base device behavior for all devices in a Zigbee PRO network
  • Environment required for the base device
  • Initialization procedures of the base device
  • Commissioning procedures of the base device
  • Security procedures of the base device
  • Supports a uniform application space as the concept of profiles is no longer applicable
  • Provides enhanced network features
5 Likes

also watch Connect: Why Zigbee 3.0? - YouTube

I am pretty sure C-8 will solve these problems.

2 Likes

Yup it will... all those issues relate to the 3.0 security layer and the newer low power communications which is probably why the device wont stay connected.

1 Like

Will the free Z Wave migration from C7 to C8 apply regardless of where the C8 is purchased from, or only if shipped directly from Hubitat? As I’m in the UK I bought my C7 from Vesternet.

I’m sorry I caught you mid sip. I hope it was something good though.

1 Like

Steps change a bit if you do/do not have Hub Protect. Hub protect by default allows you to do the migration. If you don't, on the Backup and Restore page you should see a new special option to Create a cloud backup for C-8 migration. If you see that you're good to go.

They mention "qualifying C-7 hubs" but don't specify exactly what that means. I know in the live stream they called out the older C-5 variants without an internal radio wouldn't be able to migrate, but nothing was said about specific C-7s

CPU and Memory are the same. Honestly there is little reason to increase that. On the other hand the radios are far more powerful. 50% more at least.