The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

But, you have to pay for the Hub Protect subscription, right? What does backing up the radio actually do? I'm unclear on that.

From what I understand with Zigbee is that you still needed to go around to all your Zigbee devices and force pairing AFTER you restore a backup to the hub. Unless this has now changed with the C-8?

Regarding Z-Wave you cannot backup the Z-Wave device without Hub Protect, only your automations.

1 Like

The radios have internal NVM for the devices. This needs to be copied to the new hub's radios for the devices to be moved. This is in addition to moving the database over.

6 Likes

A normal backup only includes your "devices" list (among everything else on the hub database). It does not include the actual Zwave and Zigbee nodes from their respective details pages.

If you reset the radios and did a restore from a regular backup, you would have to join all the devices again. A cloud backup with the radio info, all the devices will just fall into place and you do not have to pair them again.

The Zwave is the most critical because without all the node info when you pair the devices again they would create new device entries. Zigbee on the other hand if you pair the same devices back it will attach to the old device entry again.

2 Likes

Free migration from C-5/C-7 to C-8 including Z-Wave and Zigbee radios

10 Likes

Zigbee migration works on C-8.. No need to re-pair.

12 Likes

This is free on C-5/C-7 when upgrading to C-8

9 Likes

Is POE supported on the C8?

No.

1 Like

So, for z-wave, if you didn't have the free migration option, you'd have to exclude all the devices on the old hub and then re-pair on the new hub, if you want to avoid ghosts?

Whew, even with no security meaning all the switches in the house wouldn't have to be removed to get the S2 code, it'd still be a lot of work.

No, just get an adaptor: https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-PoE-Splitter-USB-C-Compliant/dp/B087F4QCTR?th=1

6 Likes

There was a manual way to do it back in the C4 days when there was no migration, but otherwise yes you would need to re-pair everything.

Hub Protect is worth it just for the piece of mind if the hub fails its much easier to get back up and running.

I just got started in home automation. I got my c7 2 months ago exactly and I’ve mostly got core stuff setup - next step is just MORE of it (more sensors, more switches, etc. )

For what reason would I upgrade to the c8?

Or, asked differently: for someone who has a c7, what are the compelling reason(s) to upgrade?

Yeah that is what I use now with my C7, works great.

Please note.. C-7 is Micro-USB .. C-8 is USB-C

2 Likes

finding nemo seagulls GIF

3 Likes

External Antennas and eventual Matter support I think are the two biggest upgrades.
If you are not struggling with range issues currently, you may want to wait until Matter is supported, or possibly wait to see if they do any holiday sales (unless $149 is the sale price I have no idea).

Nice thing is, if/when you decide to upgrade the migration will be easy. So you can setup whatever you want on your C7 now and easily move it to a new hub later.

1 Like

I've been looking for info on this as well. Haven't found any yet.

Core Mem and CPU are the same, it has plenty of power as-is for its intended purposes.
Zwave and Zigbee chips are new, on the live stream they said the Zwave chip itself has more processing power and memory. Zigbee is upgraded to 3.0 chip.

3 Likes

I don’t know why ppl keep asking for this? Just get an adapter. Integrating PoE into the Hubitat hub (or an external battery backup) would increase the costs quite a bit.

2 Likes