The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

This is exactly how I have mine set up. It stemmed from when I had a C4, and it struggled frequently having the devices and rules together. Splitting them solved that problem. I eventually replaced the C4 with a second C7 that only has rules and apps on it, but no actual devices. Z-wave ad Zigbee radios are also shut down to minimize network noise. I think the C7 is stable and strong enough to handle it all on one hub, but I just don't want to hassle with bringing it all back together on one hub again, so I will stick with the multi hub strategy. I'm even considering adding a third hub that handles just cloud dependent integrations like Eco bee and Rachio.

1 Like

I think as soon as a C8 materialises I'll be getting one. At that point it's likely I'll move the devices across to it (due to the external antenna) and keep the C7 for everything else with the radios off. I do wonder whether the benefit to reducing load by splitting devices/apps to separate hubs might be offset by (potential) latency of inter hub comms (apps on one triggering devices on another)?

2 Likes
2 Likes

The limiting factor is radio communication. Zwave is limited to a max of 100 kbits/s, and zigbee to 250 kbits/s.

1 Like

It's actually 1 second over 300 billion years and it is a bit more than just an atomic clock.

"The most important and exciting result is that we can potentially connect quantum physics with gravity, for example, probing complex physics when particles are distributed at different locations in the curved space-time,” NIST/JILA Fellow Jun Ye said. “For timekeeping, it also shows that there is no roadblock to making clocks 50 times more precise than today — which is fantastic news."

Most measurements are moving over to quantum based realization. There are no longer physical artifacts that are considered the actual standards for anything (The kg was the last physical artifact and it is now a quantum based measurement as well)

3 Likes

Well thanks, you just broke my brain.

:wink:

But I'm not kidding... :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Idle thought: What if the addition of Wi-Fi isn't (or isn't only) to join your existing Wi-Fi network, but to be a separate AP your Wi-Fi HA devices could connect to? Take the load off of your regular router by having everything connect directly to the device that it's going to be talking to anyway....

Obviously, that doesn't do much for interference (unless it's on a different channel than your regular Wi-Fi, anyway), but it might do a lot for router load from innumerable Wi-Fi smart bulbs or smart plugs.

2 Likes

Because it wouldn't just be for HA devices...at this point, you've turn Hubitat into either a router if you add all the IP functions, or an access point if you don't. Either way...it gets back into the "Jack of all trades" discussion.

9 Likes

Given the care taken at installation to avoid Zigbee and Wifi interference I've wondered how wifi and 802.15.4 radios packaged together manage to coexist effectively; evidently there's more to it than channel selection.

Found this video that explains how traffic can be managed at the hardware level-- the radio transmissions can be coordinated using GPIO handshaking signals to minimize interference. Si Labs video illustrates: Coexistence with Wi-Fi and Zigbee - Preventing Interference (PTA Explanation) - YouTube

5 Likes

I wonder why no Bluetooth LE, I think (please do not quote me) its needed for some Matter Standard stuff.

I really hope they support controlling matter devices sooner then later, and this would a helpful step.

As @ogiewon explained earlier in this thread, BT is used during device onboarding, but not after that. Device pairing is performed using a mobile app; ergo it isn't needed by the hub itself - as long as the phone supports BT.

7 Likes

Yes, and there's no way the HE hub is going to match the Wi-Fi performance of my Unifi APs (or most any other Wi-Fi setup that a user is running). Keep the hub/HE staff focused on core HA functionality. That's where they make my heart go thumpy-thumpy. :wink:

12 Likes

LOL @aaiyar

8 Likes

Because it’s useless for home automation. It was just the BT forum trying to get in on the HA action with an entirely unsuited system.

10 Likes

Same here, the wifi on the c8 will just be to connect to a wifi AP imo.

6 Likes

In addition to remote start (dial has to be pre-set), our LG dual fuel shows the (gas) cooktop status, but mostly it's just a warning now that a burner has been left on. Before they dumbed down the app, it used to show all burners individually.

There's some LG code floating around in a thread but the dev abandoned it and I haven't kept up on it, I think a few users are still messing with it for their washer/dryer.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Bluetooth for Home Automation

I'm still on a C4 hub and it req reboots from time to time. Gonna jump on this the second it's available.

3 Likes

It would be nice if Hubitat would offer a trade in program, similar to what Amazon offers for old Fire Sticks and Fire Tablets. Give a few dollars for the old device, offer a percentage discount on the new hardware.

4 Likes

Not a bad idea from a business perspective, assuming there is enough margin to accommodate. Should reduce the number of hubs sold on the secondary markets thereby increasing new hub sales.

6 Likes