Bluetooth for Home Automation

Someone's got a seems-to-be thriving BT-based business.

One successful product, doesn’t make using BT a good idea.

@bill.d I think the issue is limited range. I mean if your Hub is on one side of the house and you have a bt device on the other, it's not gonna register easily when something happens. Not without a whole lot of bt repeaters of some sort.

3 Likes

Sure, but limited range does not make BT "useless" for home automation in any sense of the word.

There's still lots of new home automation installs with IR and serial connections. Use cases abound.

2 Likes

The problem with BT is that no one has invested fully to make it work. I saw a video not long ago were i think Broadlink showed lighting a entire building and around a large pond with BT. It isn't that it can't be done, just no one has really invested in it.

Apparently range isn't exactly a problem if implemented to go furthere

3 Common Myths About Bluetooth Technology | Bluetooth® Technology Website.

The main issue with BT is it was never intended to be a mesh network, and the BT forum just Gaffa taped this functionality on and Yolo'd it. It's a half-hearted attempt to be relevant in a space their tech doesn't belong.

Heck it wasnt even a very good Audio point to point solution until apple came out with their H series of chips.

1 Like

When i first started my home automation journey, i received a Sengled bluetooth smart bulb that i connected to my Echo 4.

Very unstable and needed to be reconnected every couple days.
That's what pushed me to move to zigbee devices.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.