The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

Not sure how likely that’ll be. The FCC filing is a regulatory requirement, but that doesn’t mean they have info they’re actually ready to share with consumers right now.

6 Likes

Yeh your probably right. Too bad though since it would have been a nice feature!

I leave this one to the RF engineers amongst you:
Is it better to have a big, long, internal antenna (the way that Homey is apparently doing it)
or
an external flexible antenna that can be pointed in the right direction (the way that the Sonoff USB dongle is doing it)
????

To be frank, I don't understand why it doesn't have a Bluetooth radio. It seems like a small thing to put in at the conceptual stage. I guess it's because Bluetooth hasn't really taken off in HA (yet). I don't think that it's really a deal breaker for anyone.
Probably a 433 radio is even a more common request than a Bluetooth radio!

2 Likes

The focus going forward must be on Matter compatibility. Not sure how BT/BTLE fits in that picture.

6 Likes

For those of us who love running "companion servers" alongside our main hubs - if one really needed BT they could just spin up HA and use their enhanced stack + the awesome HE HA Bridge.

5 Likes

In my day job, I get inundated with as many innovation ideas as the HE crew get on this forum. I finally created a scoring sheet that tracks the scope and evidence of the market problem, the alignment with the organization, the advantage to the organization, and the effort required. Now, I just let folks know that their idea will be assigned the appropriate priority.

The concept that business strategy should be "do something" reminds me of Sun Tzu: Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. I don't mean that to be disparaging to anyone, so I hope that it doesn't come off that way. Rather, as a suggestion that HE responds well to statements about what users want to do/have/accomplish.

12 Likes

Well, actually BTLE is a pretty important component of the Matter/Thread onboarding process. BT is used to establish the initial connection to a Matter device, and thus allows passing the WiFi network credentials to a new device. If Hubitat does not include BTLE in the hub, then the Hubitat Mobile phone app will need to handle Matter onboarding duties, I believe.

14 Likes

I had no idea! But that makes perfect sense.

1 Like

That doesn't seem to be necessarily a bad thing lots of devices are configured via phone at least initially including Ring, Nest, Sonos etc..

3 Likes

They are already but honestly by the time you add lets say Roku or Firetv, etc etc you are now not only driving the product cost up, but maintenance and development costs. You are also adding in more crap that can be broken. There isn't any reason for it. Samsung is in a better position for it as they can integrate it in their existing manufacturing line but they too must now deal with supporting it. Lets face it, samsung support is not stellar.

7 Likes

Who in the world wants to replace their TV or Refrigerator every time they want to upgrade their hub? I have purchased a new TV and refrigerator exactly two times in the past 15 years. I have zero want for an inexpensive hub to be built in to a very expensive television/refrigerator/etc, especially since I have multiple hubs.

13 Likes

The ultimate in spying on your consumer purchases and preferences.

I guess I could see a case in some future where an Oven with AI might be able to help you not burn things and better temp tracking/control - similar to smart grills.

The issue is are the headaches and potential personal data compromises worth the added "value" of a smart appliance?

It does seem so for things like vacuum cleaners, grills maybe A/C..

4 Likes

Or they sell you on these terrific "features" but fail to provide updates or security patches. Then the oven burns your house down, or maybe they "brick" your oven when they decide to stop supporting the cloud connection.

No thanks. Call me a luddite if you want to, but that is a step too far.

2 Likes

This!

I forgot to mention the ever popular subscription and requires a cloud component model.. stop paying and your oven/fridge stops working OR if Google owned maybe your device or service just stops working because they lost interest or couldn't monetize it enough...

6 Likes

Or really screw up your recipe when it thinks it knows better. It used to be that an "Internet toaster" was considered a joke.

3 Likes

Definitely exciting news. Hope it does have built in wifi. It would be pretty sweet if at some point they consider integrating a backup battery like my old Iris hubs had. Having to purchase a special UPS for it was kinda a drag.

4 Likes

New hardware (or model number) is enough for me!

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

17 Likes

Currently at CES 2023 Oven with AI.

3 Likes

Hope it lasts longer than their other failed appliances. They don't have a terrific reputation for longevity or quality. Maybe they should work on that before some stupid connected oven.

7 Likes