Temp sensor w/ external probe support?

It looks like ST has an undocumented "Temperature Alarm" capability that their Ecolink Water/Freeze Sensor handler is using, but I doubt any of the built-in apps support it so it's kind of useless.

Hubitat doesn't support that capability, but you could take the ST handler and port it over and just replace the temperature alarm capability and events with a capability that Hubitat supports, like Contact Sensor.

I’m assuming the Qubino needs to be wired to a power source. Would you mind sharing how you did that underneath your cabinet?

the light switch is on the wall above the cabinet/sink. I pulled the main power from the switch box going to the light switch (not off the switch itself) and snaked a wire down to the hole where the drain line went in the wall. Then I installed a external waterproof electrical box with an outlet.

Got it, thanks. I know it’s asking a lot, but would you mind posting a pic of your under sink setup?

I added a Fibaro powered leak sensor (they have battery backups in them) so I needed 3 plugs

• leak sensor
  • water valve
  • Qubino temp sensor
    I used a econet EBV105-UMK water valve to recirculate the cold water in the hot water line back into the cold water line. It would have been better not to have a water valve and to have a dedicated water return line back to the hot water tank inlet with check valves if you can but this is on the second story and I could not get another line back down to my basement furnace room without ripping apart my main level.
    Qubino temp sensor is connected to the where the hot water line (red) arrives at the sink and I used a piece of velcro and put in on top of the outlet box.
    Then at the hot water tank outlet in the basement I installed a hot water pump plugged into a Fibrao power plug

@murray.sean.d,

I've not had to made an installation like you are describing, nor do I know your building structure. I live in New England and have a basement making it easy to wire from below.

Anyway consider powering the Qubino from 24 VDC. This type of power is considered limited energy and can be run nearly anywhere in the house without having to use cable boxes. Just might offer a different option for installation.

A little better picture of how I ran the waterproof external electrical box with outlets and the Qubino in a project box velcroed on top of it. I could have drilled a hole and fed the electrical wire in from the back of the box.

Terrific, thanks. One final question. What psu did you use do power the Qubino?

24 volt power supply from a Dyson vacuum charger you have to cut the end off and attach it to the Qubino (I beleive it was just 2 screw on clamps no soldering)

1 Like

Also if you are going to change the stock Qubino external temp sensor (it works fine) with the brewpi (it is stainless steel) you will want a stainless steel tee to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. and if going to pex you will want a Poly Alloy pex adapter.
Finally I cut the connector off the brewpi sensor and cut the stock Qubino temp sensor wire as I could not find a 3 pin adapter plug that the Qubino was using to plug onto the Qubino board. then connected the brewpi sensor wire to the qubino sensor wire using wago connectors.
@ wgmcg posted this pinout on SmartThings so credit to him

The only reason I changed to internal temp probe vs the stock external was for faster temperature change reporting as it took a little longer for the hot water to heat up the pipe for my use vs reading the water temp directly.

1 Like

Do you have any thoughts on using a mimolite with this same temperature sensors? Are you aware of any device driver that would work?

The reason I ask is I’m looking to build a Z-Wave Temperature sensor for our swimming pool and I have a spare fortrezz Mimolite.

Since you’re the mimo expert, I thought I’d ask you.

Thanks again!

Hi,

That thread is a year and a half old. You would be better served starting a new topic.

John

@jesse.fetterman no I do not believe you can use a mimolite for temp readings I have never seen that function in their documents.
Just did some quick searching I see some very general reference to ability to use a temp probe but nothing in their technical documents and looking through other forums a few people have tried but I did not see anyone succeed or a DH for one.
Unfortunately both of mine are up in my garage ceiling on the garage door openers so can not test them out.
So I should not say it is impossible.

Thanks for looking into it for me. As always, I appreciate your help.

I purchased a qubino Flush, I set it up in Hubitat and it reads Temperature perfect. Is there a way to also use the dry contact relay? If so what device handler would I use? If I use the handler you posted, I’m not sure how to accomplish this.

Thank you

I do not use the switch or dry contact function but yes you should be able to use it
going off this post on SmartThings .

Are you just using the dry contact for something like a door contact sensor?

Looking through the Qubino manual you should beable to.

Parameter no. 4 – Input 1 contact type
This parameter determines how the switch or push-button is connected.
Values (size is 1 byte dec):
• default value 0
• 0 - NO (normally open) input type
• 1 - NC (normally close) input type

You can check your Qubino settings using basic Z-wave tool DH and may (reading through the SmartThings post if using a switch) have to change an Association Group ID:1 and an Association Group Members:01 then change the DH back to the Qubino DH (there is a stock Hubitat Qubino DH now).

I tried to find my old temp sensor to try on the mimolite because it should work as well unfortunately I misplaced it.

What I’m trying to accomplish is have the qubino send Temperature readings from our swimming pool. And then be able to turn on / off the pool heater using the dry contacts.

In the device handler there is an “off” button but no “on”. So I’m not sure how to do this.

How is your pool pump turned on/off normally? a built in switch I assume and how is it powered a standard plug in outlet?
For my hot water circulation my pump does not have a switch I have it plugged into a smart plug and when RM rule fires it turns on the smart plug which turns on the pump.
I think you could hard wire the qubino to a switch to turn but I have never done it. It would be simpler to just leave the pump switch on and use a smart plug.

It requires a 24vac input to turn it on, so I was going to use the dry contacts of the on board relay. I can go a different route, I was just trying to do it all with one Z-Wave module. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.