Sylvania LIGHTIFY Smart Switch 8 Functions/ 4 Buttons

Mike, I am running
Hubitat Elevationā„¢ Platform Version
Hardware Version
Rev C-5
I had some issues installing the four button Lightify. It found it but was stuck on initializing. I waited about ten minutes. It was not in my device list with generic name. I reset the device (button 1 and 4 - upper left, lower right for ten seconds). So I then installed the battery plastic strip, installed battery and back. Now it was back to factory. I discovered Zigbee, removed plastic strip, pressed button 2 and 3 for three seconds, button flashed yellow, it found previously discovered device and did not ask for a name. Looked and found a generic name. Deleted the device. Reset button again. Pulled strip, pressed 2 and 3 for three seconds, found device and was able to name it.
So went into the log.
Button one gives button pushed, held and released.
Button two gives no events.
Button three gives button pushed and released.
Button four gives no events.
2019-04-10 10:34:25.399 pm info swJon button 3 was released
2019-04-10 10:34:21.099 pm info swJon button 3 was pushed
2019-04-10 10:34:13.297 pm info swJon button 1 was released
2019-04-10 10:34:12.099 pm info swJon button 1 was held
2019-04-10 10:34:10.089 pm info swJon button 1 was pushed

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 01
  • model: Switch 4x-LIGHTIFY
  • manufacturer: OSRAM

I went into the HE device config and entered button 2, selected push, hold and release, that registered in the log.
2019-04-10 10:43:12.530 pm info swJon button 2 was released
2019-04-10 10:43:10.195 pm info swJon button 2 was held
2019-04-10 10:42:57.063 pm info swJon button 2 was pushed

And yes, when I press the buttons the green light blinks on them all.

Any thoughts?
Thank you

Well, I hooked up another 4 button switch, it worked fine. I removed swJon, reset it, paired it and it worked fine. All four buttons pushed, held, released events work.

This might help.

Note: "Bar" consists of two Zigbee tunable ceiling lights "B1" and "B2."

Enjoy.

I just purchased two of the Sylvania Lightify Smart Switches, FCC ID 2AJRH-LDV74099, ZB/4BUTTONSWITCH/LFY.
I was able to get them paired after a little difficulty getting one of them in pairing mode. I was able to program buttons 1 and 3 to turn on and off the lights in the ceiling fan and buttons 2 and 4 to brighten and dim the lights (hold to dim/brighten, release to stop). They seemed to work okay.

The problem is that I soon noticed that other sensors appeared to be dropping out of communication. I have a mix of Iris V1 and V2 items along with Bosch motion detectors. Both the Bosch motion detectors and the Iris V1 motion detectors were not responding to motion as evidenced in my Dashboard tiles not changing and the activity logs not logging any activity for those sensors even though there was enough activity (me walking) to trigger them.

I have removed the Lightify (not so) Smart Switch and have removed and re-paired several sensors. I am hesitant about trying the Lightify switches again. Is this something that is a known problem? Is there a fix for it? I would like the functionality of these switches, but not if they make my Hubitat system unstable. I recently purchased a pack of Iris Smart Buttons. I have programmed two of them to toggle the lights off and on. I guess I will need to program two more for each light to control dimmer functions, one to make the lights brighter and the other to dim them.

Did you see any events in the logs related to the Lightify "Smart" Switch?

I did not think to look at the logs before removing the devices. I would have to look through the logs to see if there is anything I recognize. The Devices/Events tab is gone for those two switches so I can't see anything there. They were working. However, they were making my Hubitat system unstable. While I like the design of the 4 button switches, I am afraid I spent money foolishly purchasing them unless someone can tell me how to link them again without messing up my Zigbee mesh network.

I was thinking two possibilities - one might be a lot of events hammering the hub, the other might be some form of radio interference which wouldn't show in logs. All theory.

Yes, and because I value a stable system, I decided to return them. As much as I like the 4-button design, I am making do with separate one-button Iris smart buttons to accomplish the functions I need. I always have the phone or the computer to adjust the dimming also. One of these days I will acquire a tablet and mount it on the wall like I have seen in another topic. Then I can control the dimmers form there.

If anyone knows of a 4-button smart switch/controller that will not wreak havoc on my system, please let me know.

No issues with my Bosch motion detectors. I have two lightify switches and plenty of zigbee bulbs.

I bought two AduroSmart ERIA Wireless Dimming Switch which is a 4 button switch like the Lightify. I was initally having similar problems. After removing and several other steps like rebooting the hub, changing Zigbee channels (then back to 20), removing Iris V1 devices, etc. the ERIA buttons are behaving well. I'm now adding back the Iris V1 devices. First the two V1 smart plugs, then the motion sensors. Last, I will add back the contact sensor. Hopefully, all will stay stable.

I also took advantage of the hub sale ($89) that is going on now through this weekend. I may split home automation and security functions.

Okay, time for an update:

After removing the V1 devices and after shutdown and restart of the Hubitat, the ERIA buttons started working properly. I added in two of the V1 Smart Outlets and things continued to work properly. I added in two of the V1 motion detectors and again, things continued to work properly. I added one V1 contact sensor, and that is when things stopped working correctly and I experienced the long delay in responsiveness.

I removed the V1 contact sensor and shut down the Hubitat and then started it again. The ERIA devices again are working properly. Given that the V1 contact sensor seems to be the cause of the problems, they are banished from my Hubitat unless there is an eventual update that will fix whatever was causing the problem

I hope this will be of help to anyone else who has purchased one of these devices and then is finding out that things are not working as expected.

1 Like

Hi I've been playing around with my LIGHTIFY 4 button switch and in my experience when ever I try to use scenes that's when it spams my system and makes it unresponsive.

In my working setup I have each of my buttons doing a single action. Example turning a light on or off and the system seems to be fine. When using scenes my logs are being spammed with the same repeated action over and over again from one button push.

I guess I should update my situation. I purchased a second hub and all my Iris V1 devices are now there. Now that I have no Iris V1 devices on the main hub, everything is operating properly and the system has been rock-solid in operation. I don't know if the same would apply for the Sylvania Lightify smart switch, but I know it applies to the ERIA switch which is similar in appearance.

This could be an indication that the configuration didn't complete, try hitting configure on the driver details page, if that doesn't sort it, then remove, factory reset and then join the device again.

I have nine of the Lightify smart switches. They all work with 8 functions, scene control, dimming; etc. and donā€™t generate anything evil on my network. The problem is when they are idle it seems like they are leaving the network. After a short period of not using it (couple hours or less, I havenā€™t timed it) I have to hit the button several times before the lights respond. They all behave like this. I did not have this experience when using them with the Lightify hub, maybe because they were paired directly to the lights and didnā€™t need a hub to work, I donā€™t know . Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

@Ken_Fraleigh I had the same experience with the ones I have also. It would take several button pushes before the light would respond, like the remote had to wake up. It would then respond the first time after that for a while and then back to sleep after it sat for a while.

This behavior completely ruins the usefulness of the switch and the wife hates it. I have to believe there is something missing in the driver since it didn't behave this way when it was programmed by the lightify hub. @mike.maxwell is there anything that can be done to fix this?

unknown, I didn't witness this behavior during development, but i'll pair it up for some long term observation...

2 Likes

I really appreciate you for doing that. It works great when it is in use, but after leaving it alone for a while it needs about 20 seconds and a couple pushes to start working again. The first push does show up in the ZigBee log, but doesn't do anything. A second push a few seconds later doesn't show up in the log. Then pushing it again a few seconds after that generates an entry in the log and the assigned action for the button finally happens. I don't know what that might mean, but thought it might be helpful to share. The RSSI on the switch seems to range from -62 to -49. LQI 255

@mike.maxwell +1, thanks Mike for taking a closer look at this.

I just got done spending way too much time pairing a couple of these switches. I had one since the new driver was released and loved the way it worked. After several hours of "rinse and repeat", both the new ones would hardly pair, then would only show 1 and 3 responding. So after reading this thread I disconnected my Iris V1 motion sensor, didn't seem to make a difference. Then I remembered recently installing a Phillips Hue bulb (I got for free) Killed the power to it and both switches paired and worked on first try all functions)
I seem to recall reading the Phillips bulbs, without a hub, connected to Hubitat , was a bad thing. Am I mis-remembering?
OK, @mike.maxwell maybe you can make the call.

Update: I turned the power back on the Phillips bulb and it seems to interfere with my switches. With bulb powered up I was missing about 1 of 10 button presses. Without the bulb powered up, again flawless. It appears that at least in my case and home configuration, the Phipps bulb is bad news. I don't know, maybe it didn't like having the Ring hub in between.