Support for Ring Alarm Contact Sensor V2?

Only if they don't get the security grants they want when including..

1 Like

All 4 of mine are paired with S2 Authenticated and they seem to be temperamental.

Mine are paired with s2 security also.

I have 14 units of the Ring Contact Sensor 2nd Gen (v2) currently paired to may C-7 hub. My experience pairing them was identical to @bcopeland's video above. They all joined as S2 authenticated and reporting updates very quickly. The 14 sensors are a mix of 1.13 and 1.15 firmware.

The issue is the contact sensor by default enters "Smart Start" inclusion mode which is the slow flash of the LED. I tried to use the Smart Start mode with C-7 and failed, then figured out you hold down the button for 3 seconds for standard inclusion mode (quickly flashing). BTW, in my experience has been it's a long 3 seconds, I typically count to 4 before releasing to successfully get the quick flashing.

My only issue to date. The two Ring 2nd gen contact sensors on the two most used doors have now each got into a state where they were stuck reporting "open" state. I had to press the button to get them to snap out of it and continue updating state properly. Curious if I re-paired them with no S2 security if that would go away? It's only been the ones getting constant use as the entry doors into the home.

1 Like

Is there a website or file where we can get the latest firmware for the Ring Contact Sensor V2 my firmware is also a mixture of 1.13 and 1.15?

Based on what I can tell you need the Ring Alarm hub and mobile app to upgrade firmware on the Ring sensors.

I'm at Best Buy, (the one here has horrible selection) and the only sensors they have in stock ever is ring (no smartthings stuff ever the shelf is always empty). But after reading these post I'll just skip ring sensors all together and order some Zigbee sensors online.

Oh well was going to get my hands on some today. But I don't want finicky or temperamental to pair sensors lol. Too many out there that are a piece of cake!!

Unsure if this is already known, but just in case...

On a C7, running latest version ( 2.2.8.147), when trying to include these now, if you "Skip" the S2 step, they will include, the log shows the S2 fail, but you get no contact state (and device continues to fast blink green for several minutes after inclusion). You must do the S2 inclusion step (5 digit code) to get the contact state to show after inclusion.

Ring devices will not operate properly when not included with security..

3 Likes

So when using this integration, is this using the Ring contest sensors stand-alone/decoupled from the Ring Hub?

Using the built in device driver, the contact sensor is directly controlled by HE. (No Ring hub required.)

so I got one of these based on @bcopeland list. The damn thing will just flash 3 times and pause over and over. Eventually it will go red green flash then start the process all over again.

Are you using the standard inclusion mode by holding the button for 3 sec till it flashes fast.

yes and it never flashes fast

If I remember right I had to do a reset first before the fast blink inclusion would work.

I added all of mine by using SmartStart. Reset it. Scan the QR code. Don't change anything for security and a min or so later it is included as long as it is in range.

What's the reset process?

1. Remove the cover from the device.
  2. Press and hold the pinhole reset button using a paperclip or the included pinhole tool. The LED light will flash green.
  3. Continue holding down the pinhole reset button until the LED light turns red.
  4. Put the back cover back on the device.

Yeah I did that. I'm beginning to think mine is defective. I took the batteries out and am going to leave it overnight

I just tried it again. Put the batteries in. It started slow flashing. Held the button for 3 seconds. Then 4. Kept hold the button. Nothing happened. Took the back off and reset. Tried again and still nothing. Still just constant flash flash flash pause.