Stop the drama

I could not have come up with a better response if I'd tried Doug. LOVE IT. :smiley: :rofl: I'm literally out of breath from laughing.

2 Likes

Because overwhelming the topics posted here isn't about anything dangerous or anything related to being dangerous. A lot of times it is cause Person B just wants to give their OPINION.

Something being a BAD idea is an opinion. Something being dangerous is another thing entirely.

Maybe Person B thinks it is a BAD idea to go to the hardware store. However, there is no harm in giving them the directions. Maybe this person would enjoy getting out of the house. Maybe there was a delivery and now widgets are in stock. Person B doesn't know Person A's situation. Providing an opinion on why ordering from Amazon would be better is NOT helpful. Maybe Person A wants to support local business. There are just too many assumptions being made by Person B to assume ordering from Amazon is better.

Person C is helpful and provides the directions even though explaining the problem. Person B's opinion just amounts to noise in the thread about directions.

Right well if there is no hardware store in the first place to even drive too that is a problem!

Person C: There is no hardware store within a 500 miles radius of you. I suggest ordering from Amazon.

But I am curious about the quotes around can't. Many times I see things can be done but not ideal. For example repeating light bulbs causing problems.

2 Likes

Why is that bad? I thought this forum was for everyone. Only certain people are allow to give their opinions or provide alternate solutions? Here's a post from @april.brandt where someone was asking about Lutron RadioRA wall keypads. She posted about a device which you attach to your computer.

That was completely off topic. Did it answer the OPs question? Absolutely not. Was it wrong of her to post that? Absolutely not. She has every right to post something that she thinks could help someone or that she wants to bring up. Just because it doesn't answer the OPs question, doesn't make it wrong or "noise", as you call it. It's a forum...stop judging people so much.
(P.S. April, I saw those things a while ago too and had the same thought...so cool!! I just don't have the patience to try figure out how to get them to work. :wink: )

No, sometimes Person B KNOWS it's not a good idea to go to the hardware store. That is my whole point. Person A has not considered something that Person B has. It is not always an opinion. But even if it is, you can choose to take that advice or not. Why shouldn't person B post it? Maybe you don't agree but the next person that comes along might.

And that is your opinion. You seem to think that the whole point of this forum is to help you. This forum is also a resource for others reading these posts later.

This is my whole point. Person B might have some information that Person A does not. And rather than spend 2 hours typing out a dissertation with footnotes and annotations, they just say so.

What has become completely clear to me is that I might have totally misunderstood the purpose of this forum. Is it intended to be an echo chamber where everyone is told their ideas are great and get reinforcement for one's fragile ego? Or is it a place for people to discuss things related to Hubitat and home automation? To even, I know this word scares people nowadays, DISAGREE about things?

Disagreements are not in and of themselves bad things. Can you imagine how boring life would be if we all agreed with each other? Yuck!

Very good points, but really it's about respect. We could name everything that happens. But its about respect. Period.

6 Likes

And you're assuming that people are being disrespectful because of the tone you perceive or the motivation that you are assigning to their posts? I'll refer you to my earlier post in this thread for that topic.

Here is a great example of what I believe @helene7t7 is referring to. A new user in the "Get Started" part of the forum, posts this thread: Static IPs

They have a fairly straightforward question, they posted it in the "Get Started" section of this forum and the thread ends up being a conversation between highly technical members about setting static IP's (using things like a pi instead of your router to set static IP's). I imagine the OP may be looking at all this in possible bewilderment, nobody is bothering to ask him if his problem is solved. I post this:

And the reply is this:

Sorry for trying to get the thread back to what the OP asked (in hours, not days since the OP asked the question). I didn't mean to interrupt the highly technical conversation going on between other users in the section of the forum labelled "Get Started".

Because several people in the thread had asked the OP questions and there was no response. So, what difference does it make where the conversation goes? You're assuming that the person is reading it. Well, if he/she had, why didn't he/she answer the questions we'd asking him/her?

What difference does it make to you where the conversation goes? Are you getting charged per post you read? No.

Thread devolving....just point it out....not pointing fingers. Remember the point of this thread is in the title. Let's not....oh nevermind...we are already in the Debate Chamber...resume your ramblings.:rofl::running_man:

4 Likes

Yah. I checked out an hour ago

3 Likes

3 Likes

As a member of the Comment Reading Association (CRA), Iā€™m only here to read comments. Please keep the comments short, simple and respectful. We do appreciate your typing effort. Also please watch your spelling. Thank you and have a great day!

5 Likes

How are you to able to determine "what" negative impacts someone has or has not considered? Magic 8 ball?

To the contrary, you do the harm by pointing it out as there is absolutely no way for you to assume to know what impacts the poster has/has not considered. Case in point "You" believe everything must be done according to government "code"......I do not, as well as those like myself don't appreciate you imposing "your view" upon us.

Yes, that is how humans learn, the vast majority of people involved in this home automation pursue many hundreds of trial and errors that don't ever get asked for advice on and yet they "learn" from their mistakes what works and what does not.

Leave your morals to your own household and belief, and only address the topic asked, no one asked for how you feel about what they are asking, adding it only creates the frustration as they do not require your justification for their task.

3 Likes

If they are trying to do something that won't work, I'm going to assume they just haven't realized it rather than assume they're trying to do something that won't work, yes. Why would you do something you know won't work? That makes no sense.

Noted. If I'm every walking toward a giant hole in the ground, please warn me. I don't need to fall in a hole to learn what a hole is.

I thought the whole idea of the forum was for people to converse. Again, I ask, is that the reason it is here or is it only for CERTAIN people to express their opinions? If I see someone doing something I know isn't going to work and is going to cause them grief, I'm going to respond. If that's not what is acceptable here, I will gladly leave. But if that is how people should learn, then why is the forum here at all? If you're argument were true, no one should ever answer anyone's questions. Let them learn for themselves if that's what's best, right?

It's these kind of threads (or maybe only where they end up) why I stopped reading just about everything on this forum. And why I became more and more hesitant to reply to any thread actually.

IF EVERYBODY WANTS TO STOP THE DRAMA, we should not start a discussion every time we don't agree with somebody. Just let it be! Move on, accept that everybody is different and that we all have our own opinion, believe or whatever you want to call it.

9 Likes

You know. I could respond to you @Ryan780 but I just chose not to. I'm not into pointing out each individual situation. My post is intended as a reminder to think before you react. Then respond. The community is an amazing tool. Let's keep people coming back and not dreading people that like to argue. Plain and simple.

5 Likes

How ironic that this very thread, labelled "stop the drama" has already descended into argument, justification, posturing. My advice (mostly to myself): get a life and spend less time trawling this forum, especially threads like this.

4 Likes

No...to respond you'd actually have to read what I wrote. Much easier to keep your blinders on.

I did....and you said flat out that you didn't even bother reading my response. So, what does that say to people?

You assumed I was being reactionary, which if you took the time to read it, you'd see I wasn't.

Spot on.

1 Like

As someone who is always right (if my wife agrees I'm right of course) can I respectfully point out that the thread is not really going anywhere.
How about we all calm down, let sleeping dogs lie and go back to fiddling in our gizmo draws and thinking of new ways to play with our hubs.

6 Likes

Sounds good to me.

18 Likes