Static IPs

So I just got the hubitat. I have a lot of Hue and Lutron devices. I see that you are supposed to assign static IPs to both products’ bridges. In order to get static IPs from Comcast, I’d need to upgrade my account, rent a modem from Comcast and pay a month fee for static IPs. This would all increase my monthly costs by over $100/month.

Just checking to make sure I’m understanding correctly about the static IPs. I can’t imagine a lot of people are willing to spend all that extra money just to be able to run hubitat. If this is the case I’ll have to return it.

Thanks

Static IP as in "Local" static IP. Just reserve the Hub IP on your router, so it'll always have the same local IP. :+1:

2 Likes

You are NOT understanding it correctly.

Communication between your router and the devices in your home = Lan (local area network) = Local = easy to make static ip addresses, any router can do it, nothing to do with your internet service provider.

Communication between your router and the outside world = Wan = not so easy to make static, may involve extra costs with your internet service provider.

Hubitat requires static ip addresses on your Lan. As far as I am concerned local static ip addresses are a good idea regardless.

1 Like

Is your router provided by Commcast or is it yours? Do you know how to log into the router's configuration portal?

Sadly not every router can do it. I'm in Thailand and the muppets at 3BB, as an example, provide a router with no ability to set a static IP address locally. Incredible. Many calls to their cretinous support line. So now I have to work out how to add an additional router of my own purchase to the system to provide that.

Good luck with it!

There is a much cheaper solution and that is to stand up a Pi-Hole instance running on a cheap rPI on your network. Set it up to do DHCP (instead of the router) and viola, you have both ad blocking on your network and a DHCP/DNS server on the cheap.

As long as your provider's router allows for turning off DHCP, this solution should work.

2 Likes

+1 for this. It's the easiest to do.

1 Like

But that won't work if the router is still trying to be the DHCP server for the network. He's saying that the router is out of his control. So, he can't manage it. So he can't turn off DHCP.

What you need to do is set up your own router, using the the other router as the WAN connection (if you have wired available). If you don't have a wired connection available, what you need is a WISP router (Wireless Internet Service Provider). What this device allows you to do is to grab the wifi signal with one radio and broadcast it's own wifi network with another. I use one in hotels to create my own mini-network for my Chromecast to work and all my devices to be able to talk to each other (since hotels lock down device to device communication).

That, to me, doesn't state that the router can't be managed. Just that it doesn't allow setting static IPs (or DHCP reservations). Maybe it does, don't know as @Angus_M wasn't specific.

If you can't set an IP address as static locally, the router would, by definition, HAVE to remain in DHCP mode. Otherwise, it wouldn't work as a router by itself would it?

True, however, my AT&T Fiber modem doesn't allow for DHCP reservations, but does have the ability to turn off the DHCP server. I just chalk it up to Arris stupidity in their firmwares.

1 Like

Seriously?!? I am really shouldn't be surprised anymore by that kind of stuff. They keep finding ways to outdo themselves in the dumb department.

1 Like

EXACTLY! Were it not for the gigabit speeds and price, I'd complain more. But, I just use it now as a passthru with Ubiquity equipment behind it.

1 Like

I'm still ticked that I can't get fiber yet where I am. It's coming into every other big city around me but we have yet to receive it. SOOO annoying.

The original poster stated he is with Comcast, he did not state he can not set static ip addresses from his router. Until he states he can not set static ip addresses from his router, all this technical talk is not helping him.

@msalata Do you know the model number of your router? Was it supplied by Comcast? First thing to determine is if you are able to set a static local ip from your router.

1 Like

Be happy for what you have. Our only choice is 6 Meg DSL. Other than satellite which is way too expensive. Fiber is not even a dream around here.

1 Like

He hasn't responded to any of your questions yet....so just cool your jets.

DSL?!?!? OMG, I would have to move. I wouldn't be able to live with that. LOL

Yeah, I know. But really like it here. I just suffer thru...:grin:

1 Like

When my wife and I lived in South Carolina, that's all we had as well. It was the main reason for moving to North Carolina as I work from home and 6mb DSL would cost me my job. LOL

3 Likes