Stop the drama

Just been reading through some posts as of late. There's been a large influx of migrations given the wink situation. I just noticed that the drama has increased. Keep that kind of stuff over in the Smartthings and Wink forums. That's not how this forum rolls. I've witnessed people saying that getting this, that, or the other thing out of Hubitat is a "pipe dream". Now I know that it's out of frustration when something doesn't work more than anything, but I just wanted to mention that we can't forget how awesome this community really is BECAUSE people are so friendly. And support is spot on most days. Everyone is usually in good form here. So, I'm just asking that we remember what we came from and leave the drama behind. I'm here because I appreciate all of the help I get here and for a laundry list of positives, that I just can't possibly name everything. End rant

26 Likes

Wow....I guess it's a good thing that I haven't been as active on the forum lately. I've been very selective on what posts I read and more selective on what threads I participate in because I simply have a lot less time. Sad to hear the tone has been changing, but also glad I have not read enough posts to notice it. Hoping our community can stay positive.

Stephan

8 Likes

I'm hoping that by calling it out, that's exactly what happens. This forum is so successful because people are respectful. I realize that as it grows, there will be some ... challenges.

7 Likes

I don't really see that as negative. There are some things requested/asked for that Hubitat has already said isn't a priority/won't happen any time soon (or maybe ever).

So for those items, I think that's a perfectly reasonable answer/response. :man_shrugging: I always encourage people to make a formal request to support anyway, but setting realistic expectations is a good thing, not bad. End rant.

4 Likes

I agree with that situation. but, I read a post in particular that was giving pairing issues. One of many here. It was a lash out in anger and frustration. Lately, posts are filled with negativity without even giving the community a chance to respond. Yet, our community comes through and responds and looks past the fact that the entire HE as a whole was blamed for what was an easy fix from the community. I just think that the community isn't getting enough credit. Just asking to be more aware of your choice of words. Respectfully.

6 Likes

Most.

100%.

5 Likes

I'm all for positivity and civility in forums. :+1:

4 Likes

Yep, I agree, there are a few people that seem to repeat offenders. One person's terse or succinct can come across as rude to others. I am probably unnecessarily long winded at times, but things like "wrong" "won't work" and other similar responses aren't helpful to anyone especially noobs (myself included) that need our help.

It is so hard to read emotions over the net, and sometimes a simple smiley or emoticon can help convey tone. I think these are underused on this board. :disappointed:

:beer: :+1: :sleeping_bed:

3 Likes

:cocktail::bacon::pizza:

2 Likes

I think we need an addition to the "heart" emoji we have.

6 Likes

@Rxich
It could be a giant hammer button that makes a HONK HONK sound when someone presses it at you! :hammer: :joy:

Honk honk!

1 Like

This community needs a "mute" feature...

I've noticed lately that when I ask a question, I'm usually met with a terse explanation of why I shouldn't do things the way I am, rather than actually answering the question. That sort of feedback can be helpful, but it's not being delivered well.

5 Likes

Actually they recently added that feature.

Thank you!

So wait, I can't be all grumpy and mean to people?! Fine. I'm taking my hub and going home! :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, I agree with this thread 100%. I make it a point to be as courteous as I can be (as anyone that knows me in real life will attest to, it's not an easy task lol). I really wish others would do the same.

5 Likes

=MUTED

Just kidding @corerootedxb could never mute you. You give me too many ideas. (Here's your gold star)

4 Likes

Missing - let me help you with that :smile:

:star::star::star::star::star:

5 Likes

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Person A: So I'm looking for directions to the hardware store.

Person B: Let me give this long winded explanation of why you shouldn't go to the hardware store but order from Amazon

The thing is the person doesn't know the directions, they just want to hear themselves talk. It is so frustrating reading threads like this. The question isn't answered but devolves into an argument with the person justifying the trip to the hardware store.

Further frustrates new users who end up using the search to find answers but instead finds a back and forth argument.

So if you don't know the answer, it is simple. Don't reply. Don't give your opinion when it wasn't asked for. If you feel the need, make a thread with your thoughts about a company, product or what have you then make getting help a difficult process here.

[Edit] if your input is helpful to the situation, then all means give it. So using my example:

Person C: You take a left on Main Street. Go down four blocks and make a right. However, I was just at that hardware store and no widgets are in stock. I ended up ordering from Amazon.

There are ways to be helpful and ways to be a hindrance. I'd love to see more answers then roadblocks here.

13 Likes

Person D here. I believe you have attributed my words to Person C. Please correct your quote. :wink:

6 Likes