Still Haven't Made The Jump

I'm in this same boat. I've been looking at Hubitat for nearly a year now.

My concerns were/are: It's a pretty new company, where are they going to be in 10 years, or will it become a pay as you go service. (I guess ST would be in the same boat).

I also have a bunch of stuff that I'm not sure will migrate over. Granted I have not done a TON of research lately..
*Influxdb logging - I have a pretty extensive HA dashboard setup in Influx/Grafana
*Webcore - I rely fairly heavily on Webcore for lighting automatons.
*3rd Part smart apps - Such as BlueIris fusion. Using motion triggers from cameras to automate lighting.
*How does the android app work? Last I recall seeing it was quite cumbersome. (Wife friendly, etc)

You see that's the whole point of "local" - it doesn't matter where the company is/what they are doing in ten years. A "stable" configuration should last for the lifetime of your hardware - I think of it like an "appliance" similar to a refrigerator or stove. This is one of the compelling things about HE that got me to switch from Smart Things many moons ago. It's also been a great selling point to my residential clients.

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish though..

2 Likes

Iā€™ll let others weigh in on some of the other items, but if you know webCore you should be able to backup/restore over to HE and have your pistons back up and running with only minor modification - good news here is that unlike ST, webCore runs local on HE.

2 Likes

Hate to be "that guy" but search the forums - there are a ton of things available just takes some digging.

Yeah it's not the most friendly BUT what are you planning on using it for? Dashboard Access - HE allows for this so you don't need the app just a bookmarked link. Also there are some cool 3rd party solutions for example:

Also you might want to think about implementing a VPN if that's your thing. WireGuard is awesome and can be installed locally.

2 Likes

All of your topics are covered at length in the forum. Search is your friend :wink:

3 Likes