Step by Step Guide for using Wunderground with Dashboard

I am a little late to the party but started using dashboards recently. I have a Weather Underground API key and decided to try to build a weather tile in Dashboards. There may be an easier way to do this by now, but I couldn’t find it. I see on the forums that there were several requests for a step-by-step guide on how to set this up. I finally was able to get some tiles that looked like this and wanted to explain my steps to achieving this.

Here are the steps: (Using Hubitat version 2.3.0.120)

1. Create a new Driver
    a. Click DRIVERS CODE on left main menu
    b. Click NEW DRIVER on top right screen
    c. Click IMPORT top right screen
    d. Insert this URL:  (driver compliments of @dJOS, @mattw01 and @Cobra) [https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dJOS1475/Hubitat_WU_Driver/main/WU_Driver.groovy]
    e. Save the work.
    f. You should now have a new driver called “Wunderground Driver”

2. Create a new virtual device.
    a. Click DEVICES on left main menu
    b. Click ADD DEVICE on top right screen
    c. Select </>VIRTUAL
    d. Select TYPE* on right middle screen
    e. Scroll ALLLLL the way to the bottom to find the Wunderground Driver
    f. Name the device something clever like “WeatherUnderground”
    g. I gave mine the Device Label of “Weather”
    h. Under the PREFERENCES section, you can add your Wunderground API Key, your Station ID, etc.   I left what I could as the default.

3. Make your new device available to your Dashboard.  
    a. If you have not done so, enable your “Hubitat Dashboard”  by clicking on APPS on left menu, then Add Built-In App on top right of the screen.  Click on “Hubitat Dashboard” and then “Create a New Dashboard”
    b. Click on APPS left main menu.
    c. Find the Dashboard your are working with and open that
    d. Choose the devices that you wish to have on your Dashboard being sure to select the “Weather” (or whatever your named it) Device.  Update and Done

4. Add the device to your dashboard.
    a. Click on DASHBOARDS on left main menu, then select your working Dashboard from the right portion of the screen
    b. Click the + in the top right to add a tile
    c. On the left screen, select your WeatherUnderground Device
    d. On the middle of the screen, Select Attribute
    e. On the far right side of the screen, Click PICK AN ATTRIBUTE and then select FORECAST TODAY.
    f. See #5 below for Background Image Link
    g. For this particular attribute, it fits better if you pick a width of one and a height of 2.
    h. Click Add tile.

5. More about the Background Image Link mentioned in #f above:
    a. Do an image search for weather icons using your web browser.  Once you find the image that you want, download it to your computer.
    b. Click on SETTINGS on the left main menu
    c. Click FILE MANAGER in the middle section
    d. Use the upload button on the right side of the screen to upload your downloaded icon file to your Hubitat device.
    e. Once you uploaded the file, it should show on fight side of your screen.
    f. Select the file and right click on it to copy the link.
    g. PASTE this link in the Background Image Link in section 4-f mentioned above.

By changing color schemes and image files, you can have a bright, colorful weather tile.

If you get it working, but sure to give a shoutout to these folks: @dJOS, @mattw01 and @Cobra.

4 Likes

If you are using my version of the driver you can also add an icon tile using the below attribute:

4 Likes

Thanks for putting the driver together!

1 Like

No worries, I just wanted to address some data issues that the original developer had misunderstood and refused to fix.

And then I realised I could make it better with image hosting in my GitHub repo and some other regional fixes.

You can find more info here:

I've entered my Station ID and Key and I'm not getting any data... Any ideas?

2022-07-14 04:13:24.290 pm [error]WU weather api did not return data from poll2 - 401
2022-07-14 04:13:24.161 pm [debug]Poll2 - state.latt1 = 43.192300 -- state.long1 = -79.255900
2022-07-14 04:13:24.160 pm [info]state.languagef = en-US
2022-07-14 04:13:24.159 pm [info]state.unit = m

Amazing people like you make the Hubitat so much more fun! Thank you for this excellent driver!!

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to help beginners like me discover the amazing possibilities of the also amazing Hubitat platform! Coming from X10, FS20 and Domoticz I had to learn a lot but I'm amazed.

I don't know how I could figure this WU stuff out without your step by step guide

1 Like

Want some real fun? Look at getting a Weatherflow Tempest :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you, but I can’t take all the credit, many others have contributed significantly to this driver.

2 Likes

Btw, @swade and I have added some HTML tile options recently.

3 Day Forecast tile (html3dayfcst) developed by @swade.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.01.45 am

A Weather Warnings Tile covering the next 3 days:
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 11.56.46 am

Added Rain History Tile and Today/Tonight forecast header when forecast changes by @swade

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 11.06.23 am

And some detailed forecast tiles for the next 3 days.

1 Like

EDIT: ooops, seems I can order it but I dare not to look at the shipping cost, customs etc...

Would be great but not for Europeans?! :cry:

1 Like

@dJOS Getting this in my logs

Make sure after you upgrade (assuming you are on the new version 6.10.x) before you do a poll, you should check your setting and save preferences even if you don't make any changes.

This latest version added some more options and values and needs a re-save preference to work correctly for most users.

2 Likes

I recommend doing a Clear State, save and then poll. As per @swade instructions.