Sonoff without tasmota?

Came across this yesterday when I was endlessly trying to setup my sonoff th16 device. https://sonoff.tech/product-tutorials/diy-mode-to-control-the-sonoff-device

I decided “I can do this” and attempted to solder the pins on the device so I could use the usb to Ttl device to flash tasmota onto it.

I think I might of damaged the board when soldering because when I connect the usb to ttl device to my computer (when it’s wired up to the sonoff device) it doesn’t recognize that anything is connected. But when I disconnect the wires to the sonoff it recognizes the usb to ttl device. Weird.

So I came across the above article. Is this possible to integrate with Hubitat using that method, or am I grasping at straws?

1 Like

I'm not able to answer your question, but maybe I can help get the device flashed....I've flashed two of these and It was a frustrating process getting it into "flash" mode, I took me at least 20-25 tries both times to get them flashed. Are you using Tasmotizer?

Yea it was a giant pain in the a$$. i dont help myself make it any easier using a macbook.

I have Tasmotizer and i have this esp8266flash app from the mac app store.

I also am unsure if i have python installed and running correctly.

But i think the biggest issue is, when i plug in the usb to ttl device with nothing else attached to it, the tools can pick it up. but when i plug the wires into it from the sonoff, it no longer can be picked up by the macbook. so idk its a mess to be honest lol.

This may be normal.....

Is it easy enough to pull the wires from the terminals? What I did was plug it in all connected (did nothing on my PC) similar to what you are seeing..then hold the button on the device, Slide the power wire from the terminal (at this point the computer should notice the device). Then slide it back on while holding the button. Release the button after 3 - 5 seconds....and after many tries it went into flash mode and I was able to run tasmotizer.

ok i didnt try those sequence of events.

Let me pull it out and try this again.

Can you confirm, using tasmotizer do i need python?

1 Like

I can't recall exactly....I'm using a windows PC. I think i just installed the exe from the github. But I think I had python installed already.
Sorry, not much help on that.

ok no worries ill give it a shot and see what happens!

Good luck!

thanks!
sorry 1 follow up question. I didnt research it to much because i wanted to get the device flashed first. but once its flashed ive seen MYQTT online. is that what im supposed to do next in order to integrate with Hubitat?

I just use this stand alone driver.

I only have the one Sonoff device so far. And this works perfect for my usage ( Pool heater temp and power control ) There are other options out there.

1 Like

ok so I think im making progress.

I noticed when trying over and over to plug and unplug the power pin that if I left it like half way plugged in, it would flicker the light on the usb to ttl device. so I tried to tasmotize. but it said it failed because it couldn't find the header.

which I think is happening because the sonoff device doesn't blink or anything. I can't get it to start the pair mode. ill keep trying though.

I don't think the TH16 will blink or light up at all. are the tx/rx hooked up correctly? tried reversing them?

oh I was waiting for the blinking light on the sonoff hmmm.

I have rx to tx, and tx to rx. I can switch them

That should be correct. Keep trying :slight_smile:

going to keep at it lol

It's been a few months now since I did it, But i remember it being very frustrating. Then it all of the sudden worked. I think it's all in when you let go of the button. try holding a bit longer. Also, I don't think you will actually need the sensor .bin file. The standard release will do everything needed on the TH16.

Ok I’ll switch bin files

Here is my soldering job. My fear is I messed this up and that’s why it’s not working.

I don't think that looks bad.... Might want to reflow these two

The two on the opposite end look great to me.

ok I think i made it a little better. back to trying lol

I wonder if its my usb device. maybe its not providing a enough power. I am using this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9G2LM7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1