Sonoff S31 Lite Zigbee Smart Plug US not pairing

I get a single blinking green light when I plug it in, which is what I think is happening in the video. If I long press the button for 5 seconds, it cycles the relay a few times which cycles the red light on a and off before going back to the blinking green light. The box and device look the same as the one in the video. The instructions in mine though now tell me to pair it to some Chinese app, but it still includes the smartthings and Alexa instructions too.

I'll report back once I'm able to dig myself out and get some batteries for the other buttons I have. Thanks for the help thus far.

Well that's a good sign, re. the lights. The wifi version, I think has blue and red lights, vs. the Zigbee versions red and green. I think the Chinese app is if your using the Sonoff bridge I suspect, which is not required in your case. So bizarre.

My zigbee button paired right up, so there isn't a problem with the zigbee radio in my C5.

I must have gotten a bad batch of the sonoffs, or they changed something that made them incompatible with Hubitat. Will be returning them and trying something different.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think you need to do the 'Factory Reset' on the devices - they may be already set to
someone else's network.

I believe that is what the 5 second hold on the button does. Do you have a different way you factory reset yours @ccoupe ?

Not sure, mine were never a problem. Pair and reset can be two different activities at the device. Four dead devices out of four -- not likely.

The documentation says that a 5 second button hold will reset the device and put it immediately in pairing mode. So appears it might be one activity. :smiley:

I agree, seems like it's not likely (one of the reasons I posted for help). This is why it think it's a bad batch, or something changed on the device that no longer makes it compatible with Hubitat (manufacturers can be sneaky like that sometimes).

I'm willing to try a different method to reset and pair than I've outlined in my previous posts. Do you have a different way you reset and pair @ccoupe? If you're unsure, would you be willing to test it on your end on one of your Sonoff S31 Lites and let me know the method that worked for you?

@GRAUPS Just another data point for you: I also ordered a 4-pack of these 4 days ago (the price was too good to pass up), and they all paired without a single hiccup and all have been rock solid with my C7. These plugs are my only wired zigbee devices, everything else on the zigbee network are battery-powered sensors.
There's still a chance that something has changed in terms of hardware and they are shipping mixed inventory of old and new, but less likely.

One thought occurred overnight, What zigbee channel are you using? There are some devices that only use a few of them. I don't remember if this device is one of those crippled things but you can check. I wouldn't change channels just to find out but I'm kind of cautious

Excellent! Great data point, I was hoping someone had taken advantage of the same/similar deal I found. Thanks!

Another good thought. Looks like I'm on zigbee channel 20. @ccoupe @basilisk, what zigbee channels are you on?

Any chance this is a C5 vs C7 problem? Is anyone working with a C5 with these plugs?

I'm on channel 20, which was the default setting.

I'm also on channel 20 (x14). That won't be the difference then. I have used the outlet on a C5 - I'm currently on a C7. We are all talking about 'Sonoff S31 Lite zb' printed on the back? I bought the 4 pack too but it was some months ago.

Yeah, I've sanity checked myself multiple times, it says "S31 Lite zb" on both the box and the device itself.

I ordered a couple Innr Zigbee Plugs yesterday. I'll probably wait for those to arrive before I return the S31 Lite zb plugs. Until then, I'll keep messing with them to see if I can get them to pair.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, let me know if you think of any more!

I missed the part about this being the second zigbee device. Since you don't have many devices you don't have a mesh to speak of. Try pairing close to the hub - with a yard (or meter) - if it works then it can be moved outward.

All this testing has been carried out right next to the hub (within 1ft). Good thought though.

Since there is nothing else to do, try moving the outlet farther away - another room nearby but not line of sight to the location that doesn't work. Zigbee is pretty damn easy to get working. One bad sonoff in a batch of four would not surprise me. 4 of 4 would.

Also, since you only have one device, there isn't too much that can go wrong by changing the zigbee channel. There are 3 that don't get a lot of wifi interference - 1, 6, and 20 - I believe - look that up if you like.

I'm only running 5GHz in our house, so no immediate 2.4GHz interference, I did run a wifi scan and found that there were very low signals from our neighbors on channels 1, 6, & 11. Based on your link, channel 20 seems to be one of the in-between zigbee channels, so I left it there.

I fought with all four of the devices this afternoon and I eventually got them all to finally pair. One of the things I did was move them to an adjacent room as @ccoupe suggested. It seems like they just take a while to be found. These are the actions I took to eventually get them all to pair...

1. Plug the S31 zb into wall in a separate room from the hub (not sure if necessary)
  2. Start zigbee pairing on hubitat and reset the S31 zb by holding down the button for 5 seconds
  3. Wait for zigbee pairing mode to timeout (after 60 seconds) and restart it
  4. Repeat step three at least three more times or until the S31 zb is found.

Initiating activity on the zigbee network I think also helped one of my devices pair. I started pressing the button on one of the already paired devices and around the same time one of the stubborn outlets was found by the hub (possibly a coincidence though). Maybe this was all caused by having basically no zigbee network to begin with? Not sure.

TL;DR - The devices are now all paired and appear to be working normally. Thanks everyone for your help.

Good. On the bright side, you learned all about recalcitrant zigbee. Those should make good repeaters for building up the mesh since they are powered devices. Wait a day for things to settle and try moving one or two farther from the hub and see if they still work.