[SOLVED] Connect Solaredge Zigbee Inverter with Hubitat

Hi guys,

Currently installing solar panel.
The inverter brand is SolarEdge.
I noticed it has zigbee protocol.

As I'm planning to monitor its power generation and usage, do you guys think a good idea the zigbee model OR best just to use the standard wifi inverter and use custom driver?

Thank you

It's not apparent that the solar edge zigbee units can even be paired with HE, certainly there doesn't seem like it can be paired via zigbee2mqtt or ZHA.

2 Likes

As I remember, it broadcasts some production data on the Zigbee network, if it is configured. I was told the Zigbee connection would have used a Zigbee gateway to receive the production data and upload it to the SolarEdge servers; however, they also said the gateway was often problem.

Instead, when my inverter was installed, I used a hardwired Ethernet (since back then the inverter didn't apparently have a WiFi connection). I thought only Ethernet or Zigbee could be active.

I initially pulled my production data from the SolarEdge cloud API. I used the modified DTH from SmartThings (SolarEdge device type).

If I was setting this up today, I'd use @funzie's integration that you linked. This also talks to the SolarEdge cloud API:

However, since I installed my PowerWalls, I use the local integration with those to get my production data, since Tesla uses clamps to actively measure solar production.

Completely off Hubitat, I also use pvoutput.org to collect and track my solar production.

1 Like

If memory serves and I think depending on inverter you'll need a wireless module to be added to the system for it to connect to your home internet. The Zigbee implementation like was mentioned before is not a direct Zigbee, I'm sure it can be implemented in some way but nobody cares. It connects to a separate module inside your home/building which then connects to your home network.

Installers often use a cellular module, that sends inverter data to SolarEdge servers. Which is activated and last for 5 years, after that you need to call your installer to sell you a new one. Unfortunately this is part of the game installers play to keep you on the hook for stuff, which is also why they monitor your system.

Best way to connect is via ethernet. If you do setup ethernet, tell your installer to not install the cellular card or anything else and deduct that from the bill. As long as you are able to report data to SolarEdge's servers you can use my integration. As that reads data from SolarEdge. This will only give you a 5 -15 minute resolution on energy. Because of limitation on what SolarEdge imposes, same would apply to pvoutput.org as they connect to the same API.

If you want real up to the minute resolution and data you will want to setup a consumption meter. These are a modbus connection and require ethernet to communicate with the inverter as it's serial. This will allow you to get real time data from the inverter, no need to connect to the cloud so even if the internet goes down, you will still have data being recorded. Now unfortunately, Hubitat has no integration available for this and I don't even think it's hardware or software capable of doing so. My suggestion is to migrate over to Home Assistant as it's a much better platform for home automation anyways. They also have a great energy monitoring application. If you are serious about energy management there is nothing else that compares to it. Energy Management in Home Assistant - Home Assistant

2 Likes

Thanks for all of your responses, seems the ZigBee option is not worth the effort and just stick with the wifi module.

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure the installer does not install the cellular option and only on wifi that will works forever (no subscription)