Soil moisture & automated irrigation

I did a bit of work looking into these ECOWITT moisture sensors, they are 433mhz transmitters, so totally possible to exfiltrate data from these and use mqtt etc to get into hubitat

EDIT just a bit of digging but they sell a wifi gateway for 35 bucks and it supports sending data to a http endpoint of your choice using a published protocol, it's probably not even worth knocking up your own system to talk to these for that.

1 Like

So i realize this post is a bit old at this point. But I've been trying to set a plant watering system for an indoor application. I've been experimenting with capacitive sensors/arduino to try to get soil moisture values but it's been a PIA in one way or another. But.........
Sonoff just released a moisture sensor(thank God) that looks promising. I have 3 on order and should arrive within the next few days. The sensor is an add-on to the Th10 or Th16 like they do with their temp probes. I'll report back once I break into it. I Hopefully this is the sensor that fills this gap in HA.

It looks like the TH10/16 are wifi... that's kind of an HA killer for me.

Just FYI, I made Zigbee Environment Sensor which is expandable. For more detail, please follow the link. I do not want to bother everyone with detail here. One of the expansion is capability to read Analog Input.

You can get a capacitive soil sensor like below.

There are 3 wires to connect for power, ground and analog voltage.

Google Photos

You will be able to use and monitor your soil like here.

If you are interested on setting one up and need more detail, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Iman

2 Likes