SOFABATON X1 - Universal Remote with Wifi / BT / IR control and a Local API

Here's the response I got from their support team. I will poke around more when my X1 arrives to see what I can figure out about how it works.

We will the API document later.
Get back to you soon.

1 Like

Thanks @halfrican.ak! I will wait for some reviews showing impressions of its daily use. I love my Harmony Touch, but I'll need to replace it soon. The Harmony hub is useful just to integrate my IR devices to Hubitat, but I don't like to use my phone or a tablet like a remote.

1 Like

received this yesterday also hoping for a harmony replacement. android app is hot garbage (let's be honest so is harmony's) and i question how it was released in its current form, but it is workable. Anyway, I've emailed their support email for instructions on the API and will report back.

5 Likes

first response was flatly there is no public API. Then after enquiring further they claim it will be available to the public in April. OK?! I know a lot of backers dropped due to a lack of transparency from these guys so I guess this is just par for the course. Anyway, with some luck, and if accurate, we're perhaps a few weeks away from having access to that API...then just need a smart person (not me) to make an app around it.

2 Likes

I finally got to set mine up and try it out today.

I think it definitely has potential. Most of my devices had working support already in their database.

The build quality is really nice. The biggest knock IMO is that the font and general look of the LCD on the remote just looks unpolished. But it's functional.

I didn't have really any trouble with the app hanging like many users have reported.

Still figuring out the activities mode, but the config process on those is pretty straightforward.

Using both the physical remote and app are really responsive, which leads me to believe it is operating locally on my network.

Overall, if I can get documentation on an API or sniff it myself, this setup seems promising.

4 Likes

Nice, I emailed their support asking where my 2 are and haven’t heard back. Their tracking thing just shows pending which is frustrating.

Mine was pending for a long while (USPS tracking number). I read some comments from users on their Kickstarter that said the remotes were waiting in the destination port in a container for a while. Mine was in a pending status for 2-3 weeks, but one day it went active and then just showed up 2 days later. YMMV.

One thing I forgot to mention: the hub has two output ports for wired IR extenders (the kind you can attach directly to a device in a cabinet that doesn't have line of sight to your IR remote or transmitter). Anyway, two ports, and they included two cables in the box to use if needed. Nice touch.

2 Likes

Good to know.

I’m planning to run one of those ports into an IR splitter for my lounge room gear.

1 Like

Same here - tracking number with no activity. Silent email response so far

And here. You’re not alone

How does it feel in the hand...I like the ergonomics of the Logitech remote that comes w/their hub, feels comfortable and controls are easy to reach/activate. I know it's new and things like this take time to feel "normal" but what's your initial impression?

I never really got high-quality info, but I always got a quick (~1 day) response from sofabaton support. Here's the email address that I used: sofabaton@outlook.com

It feels pretty good, though I'll admit I haven't actually used it enough to really know how the flow is through navigating around the buttons in typical workflows. It's a little small for my hand and and doesn't rest quite as naturally in my hand as my Logitech remotes, but I agree that the Harmony remotes were actually pretty good ergonomically. This one is just fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

When the Harmony announcement came out I bought a couple additional hubs/remotes just so I'd have backups, but I know that at some point Logitech will pull the plug and after a three-day sobbing jag I'll have to move on. :wink:

1 Like

That's okay, my tracking says returned to sender. When I asked them about it they said I would have to inquire from the post office. The post office says I have to ask the sender.

At this point I don't expect to ever get my two remotes. The joys of Kickstarter.

1 Like

Got mine last week. I don't think the tracking number activates until it reaches the US. The label on the package had some guy's name for the return address. Strange. Didn't realize what it was until I opened it.

Anyhow, the remote seems pretty well constructed. My biggest complaint is the lack of a charging stand.

The mobile app is crap (at least, the Android version). If it was my company, I would have been embarrassed to release it as anything other than an early alpha version. But the same app supports their older U1 remote, so it's not a brand new app. Apparently the quality bar is set pretty low.

The app also creates an annoying, useless notification that simply says "wifi service". Tapping or swiping it does absolutely nothing and I have to force stop the app to remove it. WTF??? How this ever passed a code or acceptance review is beyond me. Looks like something that was farmed out to a low end contract programming service.

Of course if the hardware is solid the programming can always be improved. The remote seems to work ok with my Samsung TV and Nvidia Shield, which is all I need at the moment. Sadly, my surround system is still in a box, 3 1/2 years after moving.

I noticed the same thing with the "wifi service" notification on Android. I sort of figured I'd just delete the app once I was done getting things set up.

Funny, I'm also using a Samsung TV and nVidia Shield, which work well. I also have a Sony receiver and Tivo tuner box that also worked well. Haven't tried any other devices yet.

Lazy docking station, magnetic connector

3 Likes

They messaged me last night via Kickstarter apparently their shipping system didn’t like my address. I gave it to them again (it hadn’t changed).

Anyway they said they could sort it now.

Message them directly his Kickstarter and let them know. international shipping is all kinda of screwed up right now, I ship from Australia to the USA frequently and it’s a mess.