SmartThings Water Leak Sensor

If you still have ST hub on. Leave it off during HE discovery.
Try Zigbee channel 20.

I've tried the first already. Will try the second.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

OP here, Yes that is what solved it for me too, changing to channel 20.

1 Like

I suppose you also used liberal amounts during discovery

No, but I've had luck with the GP-U99SJVLCDA model from smartthings. See Smartthings GP-U999SJVLCDA water leak sensor works well with Hubitat Elevation Hub

I only have one of these things, but I had to go through the same process that [ritchierich] described.
I turned off Zigbee and then back on only after reseting the actual sensor twice. Then immediately after turning Zigbee back on and starting pairing mode, it came up.

When attempting before the pairing, I had the sensor sitting on top of the hub itself so well within range. The channel did not change and was always set to 18 before turning the radio off and back on.

I didn't have this problem with my other Zigbee devices when moving to Hubitat. I just find it interesting that it doesn't appear to be due to a change in channel. Still not sure if it's a Hubitat bug or a ST bug.

Having paired multiple hundreds of zigbee devices made by 20 some manufacturers, I can tell you it's the latter...

Ya I had the same problem happen again with another SmartThings product, definitely didn't happen with any other Zigbee devices. So I agree.

I believe these devices like certain Zigbee channels. Once I changed mine to 20 I have had zero issues re-pairing these moisture sensors.

Ya I got the water leak sensor working by toggling the Zigbee Radio on and off. Then with a multiple purpose V4 sensor I had to actually change the channel to get it to work which seems to be the theme even years later with updates on both ends. I used 14 based on what was discussed as that being a frequency the device likes.

I also noticed that their instructions were wrong for the water leak sensor. I had one with the SmartThings sticker on the back but after holding the connect button for 5 seconds it never reset. It did however with the battery method.

That said, everything worked eventually (except Nest for known reasons) and I was able to turn off my SmartThings system for good so I'm a happy clam in my Hubitat.

I'm trying to get a bunch of these (new in the box V1 Smarthings Water Sensor) pairs on a C7. Worked great on my C5, but can't get them paired now despite trying all the suggestions here (toggle Zigbee radio, channel change (tried 14, 17, 20, etc.).

Any suggestions or anyone have luck on a C7?

There are no Zigbee hardware or software differences between C5 and C7.
Be sure to factory reset these prior to attempting inclusion.

1 Like

I've tried doing the reset function per instructions multiple times. I.e. remove battery, hold button, insert battery. I can get them all in blue flashing mode for pairing, but no luck getting picked up by hubitat within 6 feet of hub.

I also can't get new devices straight out of the box to pair either.

Has anyone had to update firmware on these through Smartthings before getting them to work? Im wondering if that is why?

Have your tried doing a shutdown, powering the hub off, waiting 30 secs, starting it up again, and then trying to pair?

2 Likes

That worked!

Thanks so much.

1 Like

I'm still new to Hubitat and just tried to pair my first ever device with it, the SmartThings Water Leak Sensor. It paired fine and I have it as Generic Moisture Sensor - but I have a minor and a major problem:

The minor problem is that I can't figure out how to change the temp reading to Celsius (F means nothing to me).

But the major problem: I added water to the top of the sensor, but it kept saying "dry" in Hubitat. So in other words: it doesn't seem to be reporting when it gets wet, which surely is the main purpose of this sensor..... I'd appreciate help!

Temperature is set at the hub level via Settings / Location and Modes. Drop down at the bottom of the Location settings to choose Temp Scale, Time Format, etc.

Regarding why it’s not reporting wet, unsure as mine have been working great. You may try to reset the device and put hub in pairing mode and pair again. The hub will realize it was previously paired. Then test again.

2 Likes

Thanks, that helped!

1 Like