SmartThings now permanently offline

That's too bad. I would send Amazon a support request about it. I think they know a little bit about optimizing cloud services :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for your feedback. I actually use the Ring doorbell as a visual alert connected to 2 lights that change color. I cannot hear the doorbell and I also do not always have the phone on me. So its actually the first smartthings function I programmed in it. Red hue light for motion and blue when the bell is pressed.

Arlo..hmmm I can check the IFTT part or decide to keep the Smartthings running parallel. With hue lights both Hubitat and Smartthings can run side by side for different functions.

8 seconds delay for switching on arlo or wyzecam etc when leaving house or setting night mode is doable.

Still I hope that Hubitat will support Ring and Arlo etc directly as soon as possible.

Just ordered my hub today, really cant wait to get things moved over and finally have (almost) everything local. I look forward to the day where I post on the ST forum, "hub for sale". Although I best be quick due to how many I see leaving that ship, here :open_mouth: :smirk:

Just sold my ST hub to a friend. He knows how much I love my Hubitat Hub. Gave him full disclosure that, in my opinion, the experience of being local with Hubitat was much better. He wanted to buy it just that same. I can lead a horse to water...

2 Likes

Well, my smartthings hub was officially sold yesterday.

Didn't hurt too much because it was sitting in the basement for a few months unplugged. I actually got more than I paid for it, but I originally bought it on sale.

3 Likes

What steps did you take to clean it, ready to sell?

Factory reset the hub and then removed my home from the api.

1 Like

The most important thing to do is correctly remove the 'location' from SmartThings that has your hub associated with it. This will allow the next user to add the ST Hub to their account with the Activation Code that came with the hub (hope you kept it.)

Most of us will have already removed all of the devices from our ST account as we migrated to Hubitat. Thus, no chance of it connecting to your devices.

1 Like

Wow! Sold mine for less than half what I paid. To a friend though, so it doesn't bother me that I didn't get all my money back.

Finally got around to implementing the final work arounds and am now happy to say my ST hub is finally offline! I'm using IFTTT and a few virtual switch/motion devices to connect Ring, Arlo, and Nest Protect to HE. Now the only need for ST is to use it for Zigbee OTA updates.

Today is a good day!

6 Likes

As of last night the only thing left on my ST Hub is my Ring Doorbell. Any news on a Ring integration?

The only thing I am using my ST hub for now is presence sensing.
I find Life360 in HE just isn't reliable enough for me while our phone presence works well in ST.
Maybe when we get an HE app on our mobile devices we will get that as well. :wink:

Actually I thought about it... ST only had my Ring Doorbell as a motion sensor. I have all of my Unifi Outdoor cameras as motion detectors in Hubitat so I didn't need the extra motion. I went ahead and turned off my ST hub about an hour ago.

I'm now Hubitat only!

4 Likes

If you want to take ST offline you can link your Ring Doorbell to HE with IFTTT and a virtual switch. It's not local but I find the response time to be very short.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 3 Unifi Cameras on the front of my house that are all integrated into Hubitat and will detect motion. That's enough motion for now. I'll wait for the Ring integration to come along. I powered down my ST hub about 2 hours ago now. :slight_smile:

Technically, ST's Ring integration is all cloud-to-cloud. You can keep Ring on ST and keep your ST hub offline--as long as Hubitat is getting the events (say, from the krlaframboise Other Hub integration, cloud-to-Hubitat and vice versa), you really don't need the ST hub online at all. I know you've already got motion covered, but just an idea in case anyone else wants to without using IFTTT.

ST will eventually bug you that your hub is offline ("Tell us why! Are you moving? On vacation? Having tehcnical problems? Click this link!"), not that I've done this myself. :slight_smile:

All I have left are four ESP8266 boards tilting my blinds. I tried porting the existing device handlers to no avail. If I want to move them over I'll have to learn a bit of groovy. (Or wait til @ogiewon makes a blinds capability for ST_Anything) :sunglasses:

1 Like

I turned my SmartThings hub off this weekend after finishing up the move of 228 devices and a bunch of webCoRE pistons. Everything has been working well!

Mark

3 Likes

Last week I shut down my ST hub after migrating a few custom drivers for my entertainment devices (e.g. receivers and televisions). So far so good! :fireworks:

3 Likes

I will be shutting mine off eventually too. Just waiting on some better Ecobee thermostat control, some fixes to pin management on locks, and Harmony connectivity. Can't wait!