This topic to help choosing devices for a house that sits unattended for weeks/months at a time, and any special considerations.
Smart lock questions.
What are recommended locks (see this thread for all things smart lock):
what would be the best choices that have the features below:
- Stays connected to HE most reliably, never drops the connection, always reconnects if HE power cycles
- Long battery life, 6-month minimum guaranteed battery life with minimal usage
- Has keypad and allows generating temp codes for maintenance people to come in
- Has regular physical key (this is my specific requirement)
Not sure what I else I need to be looking for in a vacation home lock. For example, if the door gets shifted due to cold/heat/humidity contractions over months and prevents the deadbolt from sliding in/out, are there any locks that have some leeway to account for such a situation...
Recommend ones for:
- Reliable connectivity/re-connectivity to HE - this would be a universal requirement for this use case
- Long battery life - I assume Zigbee/zwave is a must, WiFi would drain it too fast
- What else?
Feel free to post other device considerations for this use case.