Recommend a Smart Lock?

The zw3 are zwave 700 (can tell on the listing, as it says zwave plus version 2).

Just like the schlage and kwikset, you can't actually buy them anywhere yet though.

All sorts of neat sounding devices have made it through certification that you can't actually buy yet. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for that info. Yea I was wanting to get the zw3 since I just upgraded some locks, I guess I'll be upgrading locks to Zwave 700 when the next series of Z-wave is about to come out :slight_smile:

Hi I'm new to be home automation game but I have my own company in doors and hardware. I have experience with lock picks and the bump keys you're referencing.

I understand the concern with the bogus videos you can find online of people opening rigged locks using bump keys. For bump keys to work you need the most basic style of tumbler inside the core. You would only be able to find them in the lowest grade master locks anymore. Even a residential C class lock will have serrated or spool pins that are bump proof.

That would be a very considerate criminal because a prybar is much faster, quieter and a universal fit lol. I don't mean to step on any toes, just wanted to help minimize the weight of the variables we have to consider.

5 Likes

Locks keep honest people out.

3 Likes

I have two locks installed at my house:

Schlage BE469 (Z-Wave) - Front Door
Yale YRD256 (Zigbee) - Back Door

I've had the Schlage installed for 5 years now and it's been working fine with my Hubitat C7. Yesterday I installed the Yale lock and the installation and setup with Hubitat went surprisingly smoothly. I'm using the Hubitat app "Lock Manager" to set the user codes for both the Schlage and Yale locks and it was rather painless. Time will tell if the Yale lock performs as well as the Schlage, but as of today I'd certainly recommend either of them.

I really like my Alfred lock. I had August lock and never could get it working correctly.

Among the locks recommended in this thread, what would be the best choices that are suitable for a vacation home that is left unattended for months at a time.

EDIT: moved this question to a more general topic here

I like the Yale YRD-226, the zigbee version works really well with Hubitat.

2 Likes

Agreed. I have the keyless version of this deadbolt, YRD-256, also in zigbee, and it has been flawless with Hubitat. Even handled a change in zigbee channel without any issues.

2 Likes

I brought the Kwikset 914 Zigbee lock and it has work flawless with Hubitat. I would recommend this lock.

1 Like

Yup I've got one of those as well, on the back door. Also working great. For the front door we decided to maintain a traditional keyway, hence the YRD-226. Relatives/guests etc. seem to find it reassuring :rofl:.

2 Likes

For locally connected locks (zwave/zigbee), will I be able to create temporary access codes remotely using mobile app dashboards, or do I need remote access to the hub and logging into the main configuration interface?

I don't have remote access to the main hub interface right now. Would I be better off with a WiFi cloud lock in this case, and which one is recommended, with good battery life?

Might want to look at this thread for a method of managing your lock codes via the dashboard:

2 Likes

Thanks. Glanced through the thread, seems more than average amount of setup, and only basic functionality. If I want to get things like single-use codes, or expiration on a certain date/time, within minimal setup on my side, would I have to use the hub interface, or would I be better off with a cloud lock and a native app?

I personally don't like having a cloud app for anything related to security if I can help it, so a little biased. Dashboard route permits the setting and removal (IIRC) of lock codes without needing to be on the LAN, a VPN, or the new Remote Access offering. Hub interface, or a HE app will require you to either be on the LAN, a VPN or using the Remote Access offering. Pure cloud solution, gives you (and anyone who hacks the vendor) complete access to the lock as long as your LAN has internet access.

4 Likes

:point_up_2: This!! :point_up_2:

By now with the Ubiquiti cloud mess and various other well known larger company hacks why on earth would anyone trust a cloud based critical device such as a lock
inside their home these days?

You really have to assess the risk vs reward. For some things like the Echo it's painfully hard to do because we don't even know the long term privacy implications potential hacking notwithstanding.

Disclaimer: I run both Amazon Echo & Ring and Google Nest systems. If they go offline it will not affect my setup at all aside from some basic conveniences and outdoor only security (which would suck I guess). I definitely do NOT have Echo tied to my lock.

4 Likes

While I use google home extensively, I would never put my locks on it. Just my choice/comfort - others may decide differently.

I am solidly in the "no locks in the cloud" camp.

7 Likes

I agree with the above comments. Cloud dependence is not good for a lock. Plus, WiFi locks would likely have short battery life. I'm considering the new Remote Access instead to get the advanced functionality the easy way.

I've been wanting to pick up the zwave 700 version (ZW3) of the YRD-256 since it showed up in the certification... Doesn't look like it is available to buy yet though. I assume supply chain issues, or they are holding it back to clear old model inventory I guess. :frowning:

2 Likes