Recommend a Smart Lock?

How about battery life? I read the Kwikset last maybe two weeks? I was just curious if anyone had any batteries issues they could share as I'm going to buy one soon and was looking at the Zigbee locks. I was looking at Yale and Kwikset.

I’ve had my Zwave Plus 914 in place on a high traffic door for over 3 months now and the battery is still over 90%....

1 Like

I got ~6 months on my 3 kwikset locks (zigbee oir zwave plus - I have and use both) with 1-2 (on average) battery lock/unlock per day each.

A little more if I use Lithium batteries instead of alkaline. I don't usually do that though, as then you basically get no battery % reporting (stays at 100-80% then dead).

1 Like

There are always anecdotal experiences that lie outside the norm. I don't think 2 weeks is the norm.

A zigbee Kwikset deadbolt has lasted around a year. My zigbee Yale deadbolt and lever lock has also lasted about the same time.

Thanks you all as I was looking at the Kwikset 914 and you all help me make the decision easy.

1 Like

I just returned 4 Kwikset 914's modern Contemporary Smart Lock Mine would click and center the deadbolt knob after locking and unlocking cycle. They say it's normal and I guess it is but I'd rather not have to replace them anytime soon from the plastic gear wearing out & they are very loud. My other Kwikset locks don't make a click sound. I ended up buying some Yale Sl
Uploaded Videos I like the Yale's a lot more, so much quieter. Also I guess the z wave radio is stronger on the Yale I included them without needing to be by the hub. Their all far from the hub.
Kwikset 914
Yale SL Keyless

@shawnx1 I was looking at the Yale also but I like the fact that I can use my same key. Appreciated the heads up if this don't hold up Yale was my next choice. Thanks for the video that 914 is loud??

I think the 914 is very loud especially compared to the Yale. I can hear the 914 unlock from outside, The yale I have to look for it to light up to know it's locked. I guess from the video it's hard to tell.

I have 4 Kwikset locks and use rechargeable batteries. I change them very rarely... maybe every 3-4 months, but not sure. They are extremely easy to change.

Also, I had one lock with mechanical issues, called them to describe the issue and they sent me a new one, Z-Wave module and all. They told me to keep the old one. Makes for good spare parts.

1 Like

Some of the older Kwikset locks has loud latching sounds the newer ones are much more quiet. You can hear the motor turn the knob but that loud "snap" is now gone. I have both Schlage and Kwikset here at home and they are both reliable.

1 Like

I had a Schlage BE468 and a BE469ZP and have been happy with both, granted I have a really strong z-wave mesh.

I just replaced the BE468 with another BE469ZP.

Starting from scratch though, I perhaps would have gone with the Schlage Zigbee model instead as people seem to have had ZERO issues with it, where as the Z-wave models have had issues with people. Initially my BE468 took a long time to get "right". But the BE469ZPs have been flawless.

1 Like

I could hear loud snap on the all of the 914's I just returned, maybe they were old 914's?
Kwikset 914
yale

1 Like

I have the Schlage BE469ZP and for the past several weeks it has been locking/unlocking on it's own. It would do this randomly during the day for like 8-10 times. And then re-lock like nothing was wrong. Unfortunately it was killing my batteries (alkaline).

I got the Hubitat for Christmas and have moved everything over except the lock from ST. And as I was about to get started my spouse told me that the lock was dead. I figured the batteries were shot, but changing the batteries did absolutely nothing.

I haven't been overly happy w/ the Schlage, so decided to go ahead and purchase the Alfred DB2 w/ ZWave module. My hub is literally less than 3 feet from my lock inside a closet. Should be here tomorrow and I can finally get that loud Schlage out of the house.

That's a bummer to hear.
Schlage support has been great for me. I was having isssues with my Schlage BE468 which was under 3 years old and they sent me the Schlage BE469ZP replacement no questions asked.
I know have two Schlage BE469ZP, and they have been super solid on HE.

1 Like

I installed the Kwikset 914 lock and it lost Zigbee connection to the hub? Do I have to do a factory reset on the lock or can I just delete the lock from the hub and re add it to the hub?

Don't delete it in HE - Just put HE and the device back into pairing mode and it should come up unless there are other issues.

1 Like

Since this appears to now be an omnibus smart lock thread, I'll just drop this here:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/4026

A new Kwikset smart lock with a 700 chip has hit the Z-Wave database. It seems to check all the boxes one would want in a 700-series lock implementation. As usual when products first hit the database, it appears that these are still weeks if not months away. Kwikset is not formally announcing these until next month during a virtual trade show.

One downside is that it does not appear to be card-swappable with the current series of locks. (The buttons are in a different configuration.)

I really don't have any major issues with my current Kwikset smart locks. Hopefully, they release in a variety of styles/finishes to match my current locks.

1 Like

When I was looking at the zwave database for Yale I seen that they have a newer s2 module not sure if it's Zwave 700 series.
YRD256-ZW3
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3882?selectedFrequencyId=

The zw3 are zwave 700 (can tell on the listing, as it says zwave plus version 2).

Just like the schlage and kwikset, you can't actually buy them anywhere yet though.

All sorts of neat sounding devices have made it through certification that you can't actually buy yet. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for that info. Yea I was wanting to get the zw3 since I just upgraded some locks, I guess I'll be upgrading locks to Zwave 700 when the next series of Z-wave is about to come out :slight_smile: