Smart Air Quality Monitor Comparison 2022

I'm looking at the current state of Smart Air Quality Monitors as I think through what path I want to go down.

I put together a comparison spreadsheet to help make the decision.

It is open to public comments for now...am interested if anyone has perspectives on using Hubitat with these devices or if they have any corrections to the spreadsheet.

Appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Who did you want to access the spreadsheet? You may need to set to public

Everyone; issue with the link before...should work now.

cannot edit. the ecowitt does not require cloud access and there are two different models one that has pm 10 and one that is only 2.5

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, hoping people will just add comments; that should be allowed. I kept just the "most comprehensive" model in the spreadsheet, so just had the one that did both. Updated the cloud access --- thanks!

Based on this initial survey, I'm liking the Awair Element. It seems to check all the boxes...Hubitat support, detecting all the things, nice design, backed by a company that also does commercial AQM (assumedly better QA and tech as a result).

Thoughts?

Good price here.

Have you used it? I was spending some time looking at recent Amazon reviews, and there seemed to be some concern about the longevity of this product as well as some recent service outages.

It's not my listing. I was just curious as to the price on used ones. That sometimes gives you the real "value" of an item.

Have you guys checked out the Davis Instruments Airlink? I just got paid and I hear it calling my name, LOL Davis Instruments AirLink air quality sensor review | TechHive

In that price range, I'd rather get a PurpleAir. There's a Hubitat community integration for it.

And their sensors measure particulates from 0.3 microns on up.

I see that all the models have WI-FI. Do they all integrate with Hubitat? I’d prolly get the nice one, but I could face the executive veto if I put one of the white thingy-ma-jingys in the living room, LOL

Yes. But it is a cloud integration.

For indoor, I would recommend the Ecowitt WH45. Integrates locally with Hubitat using an integration written by Mirco Caramori, which is now being maintained and has been enhanced by @sburke781.

It only does PM2.5, but also does CO2, temp, pressure, and rh.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

The Ecowitt looked decent in the smart air quality monitor comparison spreadsheet I made, but it's a bit of an eye sore visually. I'm not sure it would fit well unless you could hide it in a corner, but suspect it optimally should be on a desk or something.

The PurpleAir looks nice but doesn't have the local option.

Anyone have any experiences with any of these?

I have 3 of the ecowitt 2 older outdoor and one newer indoor with co2
working fine.. one of the outdoor ones has survived in upper mich all winter with all the snow without having to recharge the batter.. and it was buried for awhile.
\

2 Likes

Tagging @vitaliy_kh - I know he has the ecowitt WH45 indoor air quality meter.

Yes, I am using Ecowitt WH45 CO2 (plus few temp/humidity, one is outdoor)
sensors for about a year. So far did not have any single problem with these toys.
Integration with HE is 100% local thanks to the comunity driver plus GW1000
gateway. Before putting WH45 in his final/current location (it is on a counter
between kitchen and living room) I moved it around my 1bd apartment to see
if it is any difference in reading. The difference happens to be very minor so,
I ended up with a single WH45. It is a bit boxy but doesn't look bad.
Accepted by my wife and has very high WAF rating.

2 Likes

Can I use it as a trigger? For example, broadcast an alert about poor air quality?

off course.. here is my rule to turn on and off ac fan in case of high co2.. currently disabled as the house is empty

3 Likes