Show us your rack! (No not that one!)

Are you looking for recommendations or did you mean something else?

Unifi AP AC-Pro's or the new Wifi 6 models... They look like smoke detectors and are unobtrusive.,.,.

1 Like

No dony want to change my router. Like the performance can get 1g on wifi. Just placement due to antennas.

You could put the router in the rack then use extensions on the antennas with clamps

1 Like

FWIW I slowly got into Unifi because my Asus router couldn't provide enough coverage for my original L shaped home that turned into a U with a downstairs master addition. I had two Unifi APs at the top of the U providing coverage for those areas and my Asus router in the center of my house under my front stairs providing Wifi coverage for the front. It worked OK but then decided to install a 3rd Unifi AP in the front of my house and I disabled Wifi on the Asus and let it run as my router only. I ran the Unifi Controller on my NAS via docker container to manage the Wifi network. Have since ditched the Asus router and gone all in on Unifi.

Just wanted to through this out there as another option though know it adds expense. As @rlithgow1 and others suggested the Unifi APs are awesome and can be installed mostly unnoticed. I never really paid attention to them but as I walk into stores I often see them on the ceilings at a lot of commercial buildings - something I would have never known before getting into them myself.

1 Like

We install them in commercial environments all the time. We don't use the unifi routers or anything because though. I really don't feel they're good enough for business (maybe an under 10 person outfit but that's it).

2 Likes

OK, I'll play. My COVID project (well, one of them, that went on for a while!). I took over part of a hall closet when we moved in, but prettied it up a bit with a freestanding 16U rack, some shelves, and a couple of perforated doors.

It houses, from bottom-to-top, a Synology DS1520+ & DX517, cable modem, pfSense firewall running on Protectli Vault, power strip, Drobo NAS, TP-Link 24 port Smart PoE Switch, patch panel, and (on a shelf you can't see) Orbi AP, Honeywell Redlink, Philips Hue, and Hubitat. The device on the wall is a T-Mo Femtocell, as we have zero cell signal at the house and back when we moved in Wifi calling wasn't such a thing.

It's fairly pedestrian compared to some of the setups I've seen here, but it gets the job done. 40+ TB of storage, the NAS runs a dozen or so Docker containers and our Plex server, and the Orbi mesh is pretty good (I've got 3 satellites in addition to the central unit). VPN client on the firewall for security. No UPS b/c we've got a Powerwall, so it's not necessary. Set-up gets a thumbs-up from my wife, in large part because I've rigged the power strip so that she can reboot the entire thing just by flipping switches in the proper order; no more coming home to a glaring, "the internet's down".

10 Likes

Yeah but if the breaker on that circuit gets tripped.......

3 Likes

Yes, and there is always the risk of a meteor strike.... :wink: Seriously, you make a point. That said, we've lived in the house for nearly 7 years and it's never happened. Plus I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't even know where the panel is, so I'm not at risk of anyone flipping switches. Under normal circumstances we don't even see a flicker when the power goes out or comes back.

2 Likes

I have a Powerwall too, and I still run UPS’s for my important equipment. Mainly because servers don’t like even brief power interruptions when the grid drops and the Powerwall takes over.

My UPS’ are Line Interactive so the cutover is imperceptible to the server.

2 Likes

This makes me feel a LITTLE better.....

Got most of the short cables in. Plus a SFP module. More tidy up type stuff coming over the next few days.

Trying to decide what to do with the rest. Really want a PDU-Pro. Also seen a 3D printed BGW320 rack mount that would be nice. Probably need some kind of fan system or at least temperature monitoring.

Also going to be skinning the cabinet in a rustic looking wood veneer for WAF.

I have major aspirations for a rack mount NAS or server of some type but it would realistically just be for fiddling. Maybe for local backups of stuff etc.

4 Likes

The fan controller is handling some HEPA and carbon filtration for the 3D printers to deal with VOC's. It also maintains the enclosure temp at 90F +-1 degrees while printing. It's still a work in progress because I'm adding onto the rack a little at a time.

1 Like

Dunno, they should last about 10 years though. I can probably rebuild the packs if they ever need to be replaced.

1 Like

My OCD wants to swap out your uplink from the switch to the UDM Pro with a DAC.

2 Likes

That may arrive today.

1 Like

That makes me twitchy...lol.

3 Likes

This will easily bolt into your closet. A couple of shelves on it will neaten that up... (Along with some cable management)

Wait .... what are you saying?

What your SO won't... :rofl:

1 Like

I feel so ashamed.
I'm deleting my post.

:pensive:

1 Like